PDA

View Full Version : Bob Schmierer....Philly Show pioneer has passed away.

tedzan
09-02-2015, 07:15 AM
It's very sad to report that one of this Hobby's great show pioneers has passed away. Bob Schmierer (and Ted Taylor) started this famous Philly Show in 1975 in
Spring Garden College in Philadelphia , Pennsylvania.

By the early 1980's, this Show was in Willow Grove (PA). It was so popular that it was considered by most to be the best show in the nation next to the National.

Furthermore, Bob promoted the Seashore Philly Show every June at the Music Pier in Ocean City, NJ. What a great summer resort to have a Baseball card Show.

March 1993, Bob moved the Philly Show to the Expo Center in Fort Washington. Due to the huge success that the Philly Show enjoyed during the Willow Grove
years, most collectors continued to refer to this show as " Willow Grove ".

The Fort Washington facility was eventually purchased by GMC. In 2007, Bob moved the Philly Show to the old Western Electric building in Reading, PA.

All of us in this hobby, who were part of this tremendous adventure since the 1980's, which we affectionately refer to as the Willow Grove Show, have such fond
memories of it. Thanks for the memories Bob....and, thanks for making all these Philly Shows such a tremendous success.

Link to article on Bob Schmierer by Ted Taylor in the Montgomery Media (PA):
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2015/08/31/glenside_news_globe_times_chronicle/opinion/doc55dd409bb27c6688519914.txt?viewmode=fullstory

GOD Bless your soul Bob....you are in our minds and our hearts. And, may GOD comfort your wife Linda and your two daughters and their families.

TED Z

Leon
09-02-2015, 07:23 AM
I think I spoke with Bob once. Before he sold the show a board member (I think it was D.Mckee) offered to sell a table at the show, on our board, as he didn't need it. That was a no no. I got the call from Bob and he was none to happy.
I don't think he allowed much changing of things once they were set. RIP Bob....

S_GERACE
09-02-2015, 07:31 AM
That Philly show was one of the best when it was in Willow Grove in the 1980's! I was just starting to collect & remember seeing things that blew my mind. Some I'd only heard of and others I didn't even know existed. It was always packed with buyers & sellers. So long to a great hobby pioneer!

RIP Bob.

Jay Wolt
09-02-2015, 07:43 AM
That's sad to hear. He was a no-nonsense promoter and ran a great show.
I first met Bob in 1981 when I won a Yankee Stadium seat for $35 in the EPSCC (Eastern PA Sports Collectors Club)
& had to pick it up in person at the Willow Grove show. Since then he was always a fixture at for the 4 shows annually.
He wouldn't allow dealers to pack up & leave early. I liked that.
RIP

Vintagecatcher
09-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Hi Ted,

Thanks for sharing the information and the link.

I had the pleasure of making the trip to Fort Washington a couple of times.

Patrick

glynparson
09-02-2015, 08:00 AM
hope he is at peace.

oaks1912
09-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Bob lived a good life and, beyond family and friends, left behind a legacy of producing the finest sports collectible shows in the hobby during the 1980's. I started traveling east when I was 20 years old and attended most of the Willow Grove shows from '82 to the early 90's. The show was bigger than life, the crowds were legendary and many longtime friendships were established because of Bob's show. I briefly joined the Eastern Pennsylvania Sports Collectors Club, even though I was living in far western Pennsylvania at the time .... actually Oakland / San Francisco Bay Area...:). Many benefitted from Bob's efforts over the years, and he was a no-nonsense guy... Much has been shared over the years from people who attended these shows, but there is absolutely no way of understanding what happened there unless you were there. I know that Ted Taylor co-promoted these shows with Bob for many years, but Bob was always the guy that I called or talked with, and he was usually one of the first guys you would see as you inched your way through the double doors. Thanks for your great efforts and contribution to the hobby, and for providing the outlet to meet so many interesting people and longtime friends. Rest in Peace Bob

brian1961
09-02-2015, 11:52 AM
I was extremely fortunate to have attended the Willow Grove show in the fall of 1988. My wife and I were vacationing in Indiana, far away from our home in western South Dakota, and I took a side trip to Philly. Corresponding with Bob weeks before the show, he helped me become a member of the EPSCC, a mandatory requirement in order to attend the first night of the show. I knew the best stuff would be available that first night; I was oh so right. The two gems I purchased there still remain in my small collection.

Got to meet Mr. Schmierer, who was a friendly, gracious host, and who sold me a mint condition 1987 Perez-Steele Great Moments Mickey Mantle, the greatest post-career commemorative card produced of Mickey Mantle. I bought it strictly for the card itself, though it was perfect for Mick's autograph.

It was a fabulous time. The show was jam-packed, well-organised, and unforgettable. Since it was the only Willow Grove show I ever attended, the event was very special to me. Virtually all the major people in the hobby were there. I remember Tom Reid displaying his super rare Topps Mickey Mantle mask, while Mr. Mint Alan Rosen had on display some of his upcoming phone auction lots; the one that caught my eye was a Nr Mt/Mt complete set of the 1960 Home Run Derby---wow!

All this was possible because of the thoughtful, powerful efforts of Mr. Bob Schmierer. Thanks Bob. You gave us a lot of happiness. May you truly rest in peace, and may God help and comfort your family. ---Brian Powell

tedzan
09-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Great stories guys about a great guy. The final show in Reading, PA in September 2008 was Bob's 100th show in the 34 years of the Philly Show.

TED Z

boneheadandrube
09-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Those were my favorite years in the hobby. It is hard to explain those shows to others, especially those who started collecting after Willow Grove.

My brother and I were there:
-EPSCC members from '87 to '93
-Willow Grove GW Motor Lodge Attendees '87-'93
-Willow Grove Pre-WWII table sellers '91-'92 accross from Lew Lipset one year.

Thank you Bob!

GB

WillowGrove
09-02-2015, 05:35 PM
I grew up going to the Willow Grove show in the 70s. Would have dreams of cards the night before we'd leave to drive there from NY. Parents would give me $20, drop me off and pick me up about 4 hours later. Of course I was never ready to leave. Thanks Bob. RIP.

sam majors
09-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I would much rather go to the worst Friday night show at the old Willow Grove then any of my best days at any National, and I've been to 25 or so Nationals! I started going to Willow Grove in 1984 and didn't miss any until Bob moved it. I went a couple more times but the excitement just wasn't there for me. Too big, no longer the hectic pace and even batting cages; the thrill had gone away.
The early shows had great dealers but the collectors were bringing great items to sell or trade too. The after the show auctions (can't remember if they were on Friday or Saturday nights) were a treasure of deals. I learned so much from listening and talking to people only interested in collecting sports for the night. Many long lasting friendships were made. I guess you just had to be there to understand. Sam Majors

gnaz01
09-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Willow Grove shows were awesome, got some great deals back in the day!!! RIP Bob!!

bigfanNY
09-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Bob Was truly a Hobby Pioneer he and Ted were both nice guys who worked hard to run a show that put the customers needs first. The first two shows at Spring garden College were things of legend. At the first show they tried to discourage walk in sellers and offered instead to hold an auction at the end of each day with the items that had walked in that day. One I remember clearly was a Joe McCarthy game used hat that sold for $8 a Maggie error card came in and sold for around $300. Rob of REA lived close and was a big supporter of the show and helped them produce a nice show program and a give away Wagner reprint card that was given to all who attended.
My Dad picked up a 1940 Playball set that he had negotiated with Paul Pollard at the NYC show earlier that month. A guy was selling 1939 Playball wrappers from some packs he had found and opened for $1. I got two traded one to Ted Taylor about 5 years later and gave the other to Chris Benjamin as a wedding present. SO MANY HAPPY memories of Bob and the show he cared for, for so many years.
Prayers and comfort to his Family especially his wife who was always out front making things run smoothly.
Warm Regards
Jonathan

judsonhamlin
09-02-2015, 07:35 PM
I think some of the fun carried over to Ft. Washington, even if the ambiance didn't. But it hard to explain the energy that went into being at the Motor Lodge. I remember interviewing Bob for a VCBC article I wrote about the show right after the move and he was pleasant and a great resource.

tedzan
09-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Bob lived a good life and, beyond family and friends, left behind a legacy of producing the finest sports collectible shows in the hobby during the 1980's. I started traveling east when I was 20 years old and attended most of the Willow Grove shows from '82 to the early 90's. The show was bigger than life, the crowds were legendary and many longtime friendships were established because of Bob's show. I briefly joined the Eastern Pennsylvania Sports Collectors Club, even though I was living in far western Pennsylvania at the time .... actually Oakland / San Francisco Bay Area...:). Many benefitted from Bob's efforts over the years, and he was a no-nonsense guy... Much has been shared over the years from people who attended these shows, but there is absolutely no way of understanding what happened there unless you were there. I know that Ted Taylor co-promoted these shows with Bob for many years, but Bob was always the guy that I called or talked with, and he was usually one of the first guys you would see as you inched your way through the double doors. Thanks for your great efforts and contribution to the hobby, and for providing the outlet to meet so many interesting people and longtime friends. Rest in Peace Bob

I first met Mark Macrae at the March 1983 Willow Grove Show. It was a cold & snowy weekend and here was this tall young guy wearing shorts standing in front of my table asking
for any large lots of vintage cards. I showed him several albums containing Goudey's, Play Balls, an assortment of 1950 - 1955 Bowman's, and a near complete 1949 Bowman set.
We went back and forth on the cost for these "goodies", and settled on a figure that we mutually found acceptable.

And, as Bogey said to Claude Raines in the final scene of Casablanca......" I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. "

Bob Schmierer's Philly Shows were the meeting place of some of the long-lasting, priceless friendships that I have made in this hobby. And, the Baseball cards and memorabilia that
I have acquired are just incidental.

TED Z

Rich Klein
09-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Plus 1 Ted

I loved your trivia questions. Please bring those back for future nationals

mets41
09-07-2015, 08:25 PM
I also set up at Willow Grove/Ft. Washington (1983-2003). Bob was one of the great guys in the hobby. He'll be missed by all who knew him.

tedzan
09-09-2015, 03:19 PM
I also set up at Willow Grove/Ft. Washington (1983-2003). Bob was one of the great guys in the hobby. He'll be missed by all who knew him.

If I recall correctly, you and Bob Schmierer graduated from Cheltenham High School (North Philadelphia).

Also, two prominent graduates of your H.S. when you were there in the 1960's are Reggie Jackson and Benjamin Netanyahu.

TED Z

mets41
09-10-2015, 12:44 AM
Ted--Cheltenham High school in in Cheltenham township--not Phila.

hammer
09-10-2015, 07:25 AM
I was a late entrance into Bob's shows that were in Ft. Washington I just want to say thanks for the memories and rest in peace.

tedzan
09-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Ted--Cheltenham High school in in Cheltenham township--not Phila.

Dan

You know and I know where Cheltenham Twp. is......but, most guys on this forum reading this thread do not.

Therefore, I will modify my description. Cheltenham Twp. is a suburb 5 miles north of downtown Philadelphia.

TED Z

jbsports33
09-11-2015, 02:45 PM
I enjoyed the Philly shows very much - Ft Wash was a blast!

jimmy

Hot Springs Bathers
09-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Bob was also very active in the collecting of early APBA Game cards and penned an early booklet on the company.

Kevin Savage
09-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Bob was one of the most rigid- yet I think very fair promoters in my time in
the hobby. I first started setting up at his card show in Willow Grove in 1982- and had a singled 6 foot table between Tom Reid and Don Steinbach/Pat Quinn. Those shows were awesome- and I never missed one through Fort Washington and Reading. I wrote a column for SCd back in the day- and wrote one about the moving of the show to Fort Washington- and how I'd miss the musty brown carpeting of the GW Motor Lodge in Willow Grove. At the first show in Fort Washington he presented me with a plaque with a piece of the carpeting from the old place. He had a better sense of humor than most gave him credit for. Through his shows I met many dealers and hobbyists who are still good friends today. He ran a great show- and was a good guy- may he rest in peace.

Kevin Savage