PDA

View Full Version : Drum Tobacco Pouch Currently For Sale on eBay

canjond
08-31-2015, 06:16 PM
In the event any board member is bidding on the Drum tobacco pouch currently for sale on eBay, please note that despite the auction description which states "[t]he offered pouch is guarantees [sic] unopened and should contain a card from the era though the inconsistent packing tendencies of the day do not guarantee any specifics (some packs/pouches have been known to include multiple cards)", the pouch will not contain a card. I did notify PWCC about the misleading auction description over the weekend, and I received a response email from them simply saying that they are not guaranteeing that a card is inside (although I'd argue their description certainly implies that a card (or potentially multiple cards) will be inside). Regardless, given that bidding is already over $2k, I'm fairly certain some bidders think that cards were packaged with Drum tobacco pouches, and that is simply not the case. Cards would have been packaged with slide and shell cigarette boxes only. I hope that PWCC corrects their description before the auction ends in the next 8 days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-Drum-Tobacco-Unopened-Pack-Pouch-T205-T206-Incredibly-Rare-EX-PWCC-/400987059718?hash=item5d5cb0f606

Edited to add:

For those interested, Drum-backed cards would have been packaged in slide and shell boxes such as the following:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/jon_canfield/Drum_zpsu7eeqtqq.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/jon_canfield/media/Drum_zpsu7eeqtqq.jpg.html)

Joe_G.
08-31-2015, 06:36 PM
"A bit misleading" was my same thought on this Old Judge pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1890-Old-Judge-Goodwin-Co-Unopened-Tobacco-Pack-Extremely-Rare-EX-PWCC-/400987050136?hash=item5d5cb0d098

The bidding is already well beyond what I'd expect. There is no chance of a baseball card in that pack.

egbeachley
08-31-2015, 06:39 PM
Since they are saying these contained cards, except when a "packaging error" occurred, then it is more than just misleading.

Thanks for showing the box.

canjond
08-31-2015, 06:42 PM
"A bit misleading" was my same thought on this Old Judge pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1890-Old-Judge-Goodwin-Co-Unopened-Tobacco-Pack-Extremely-Rare-EX-PWCC-/400987050136?hash=item5d5cb0d098

The bidding is already well beyond what I'd expect. There is no chance of a baseball card in that pack.

Joe - I didn't even notice that one, and I agree completely. Both packs are nice, but just companion pieces. Cards simply were not packaged with the tobacco packs. Hopefully PWCC does the right thing here.

jerrys
08-31-2015, 07:37 PM
I saw this fraud yesterday when PWCC opened their auction.

The 1890 OJ pack.....

"...a very exciting piece which should contain a card within it's packaging."

Drum pouch.....

"The offered pouch is guarantees unopened and should contain a card from the era......."

Deceiving their customers.

EvilKing00
08-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Always thought he was a good seller, surprized by this compleat lie of a discription

oldjudge
08-31-2015, 09:53 PM
Agree with you guys about the Old Judge tobacco pack. However, it should be noted that there were Old Judge cards which somehow came with loose tobacco. This very rare card is the size of a large Gypsy Queen and was bigger than the pack being sold on EBay (I have one that matches the one being sold, also unopened).

Brent Huigens
09-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the fact checking done on this thread. We have ended the item in question as we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be considering these facts.

Threads like this are what make the message boards great. Please keep it up and don't hesitate to reach out to us directly regarding our auctions.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions, LLC
brent@pwccauctions.com

iowadoc77
09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the fact checking done on this thread. We have ended the item in question as we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be considering these facts.

Threads like this are what make the message boards great. Please keep it up and don't hesitate to reach out to us directly regarding our auctions.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions, LLC
brent@pwccauctions.com

Thanks for doing the right thing Brent. And agreed, this is what makes the message boards great

canjond
09-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Good news and glad to see PWCC step up and make the correct changes.

chernieto
09-01-2015, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=Brent Huigens;1448227]Thanks for all the fact checking done on this thread. We have ended the item in question as we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be considering these facts.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions, LLC
brent@pwccauctions.com[/QUOTE

Way to go !!
Good luck with the rest of the auction

rocarroll
09-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Classy! You've got a fan and customer here!

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions, LLC
brent@pwccauctions.com

pokerplyr80
09-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Classy! You've got a fan and customer here!

Agreed. Less than a day after this thread was started the item in question was pulled. I'd like to think any major ebay seller or auction house would do the same, but I wonder how many would have in a similar situation.

calvindog
09-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Agreed. Less than a day after this thread was started the item in question was pulled. I'd like to think any major ebay seller or auction house would do the same, but I wonder how many would have in a similar situation.

When PWCC was confronted directly by a well-known expert on the fraudulent listing of the Drum pouch, PWCC buried its head in the sand. When confronted publicly, another fraudulent listing popped up and the vultures were circling -- PWCC quickly jumped on and pulled the item, stating that "we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be" -- when in fact the description was actually misleading.

This is called self-preservation, not honest service. As for the reactions to Brent's delayed response, all I can say is that somewhere Bill Mastro is laughing his ass off.

pokerplyr80
09-01-2015, 06:00 PM
When PWCC was confronted directly by a well-known expert on the fraudulent listing of the Drum pouch, PWCC buried its head in the sand. When confronted publicly, another fraudulent listing popped up and the vultures were circling -- PWCC quickly jumped on and pulled the item, stating that "we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be" -- when in fact the description was actually misleading.

This is called self-preservation, not honest service. As for the reactions to Brent's delayed response, all I can say is that somewhere Bill Mastro is laughing his ass off.

Even if it took a couple of days from when he was first notified, at least the right decision was made. He could have just amended the description or left it up as it was.

Perhaps he was doing his own research after the well known expert warned him about the listing. I don't sell items such as this, but if I had this up I'm sure I would want to verify one expert's opinion before deciding to end an auction that already had bids over 2k.

oldjudge
09-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Jeff is exactly right. Ideally, research should have been done before the packs were listed on EBay and the issue never would have come up. At the least, when Jon contacted the seller the auctions should have been taken down and corrected. Instead, as Jeff points out, the auctions only came down when they were publically exposed.

calvindog
09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Jeff is exactly right. Ideally, research should have been done before the packs were listed on EBay and the issue never would have come up. At the least, when Jon contacted the seller the auctions should have been taken down and corrected. Instead, as Jeff points out, the auctions only came down when they were publically exposed.

Perhaps the sun was in his eyes. Perhaps the dog ate his homework. Perhaps the average collector is just a moron, begging to be fleeced by fraudsters?

jerrys
09-01-2015, 08:15 PM
When trapped plead innocence.

trdcrdkid
09-01-2015, 08:36 PM

FYI, the Old Judge pack is still an active listing. Only the Drum pouch was taken down.

drmondobueno
09-01-2015, 09:03 PM
"If you're not -------- you're not trying" - Jim Rome, among millions

oldjudge
09-01-2015, 10:17 PM
FYI, the Old Judge pack is still an active listing. Only the Drum pouch was taken down.

So much for doing the right thing.

ValKehl
09-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Jeff called PWCC's action self-preservation. I call it damage control. Same difference, as the old expression goes.