PDA

View Full Version : Hi end GAI 8 cobb

Mick
08-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Is there any chance sgc will grade this? It looks good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206-Ty-Cobb-Red-Backroung-GAI-8-NMMT-Centered-/201402605360?ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2F rover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D96434e07 c7084c2aaff6d0ca89ebeb25%26loc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%25 2Fcgi.ebay.com%252Fws%252FeBayISAPI.dll%253FViewIt em%2526item%253D201402605360%2526ssPageName%253DAD ME%253AX%253ARTQ%253AUS%253A1123%26srcrot%3De11051 .m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Peter_Spaeth
08-30-2015, 12:45 PM
I guess you have to ask yourself why the seller is willing to sell for half the SMR value.

Early GAI was pretty good, but I would guess the seller already has tried.

pencil1974
08-30-2015, 12:48 PM
I've cracked and crossed GAI to both PSA and SGC and have gotten either the same grade or higher grades than what GAI had it in. It is a gamble but no more so I think than going from SGC to PSA or vice-versa. Just my 2 cents.

pokerplyr80
08-30-2015, 12:49 PM
We've discussed a couple of high end post war GAI graded cards recently in the post war forum. There's always a chance it could cross, but the consensus is that there's a reason it's still in a GAI holder.

If I had that card and was trying to sell it, I would have sent it to PSA first, and then to SGC to cross to maximize the selling price. I have to assume the seller either did this, or already knows someone has tried and failed. But you never know.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it unless the seller could at least guarantee the card would come back authentic and unaltered if sent to another TPG.

Leon
08-30-2015, 12:52 PM
As a general rule, there is a reason higher end cards are in GAI holders. That is not the same reason as most PSA or SGC cards.

That left edge is kind of uneven, from the scan.....

Wynn0013
08-30-2015, 01:20 PM
If it were submitted to PSA or SGC, do you have to crack the card out of it's current case prior to submission or do you send it as is? I do not have a set/card registry so I've never had the need to cross (yet). Sorry to derail if this qualifies as off topic.

Peter_Spaeth
08-30-2015, 01:34 PM
It can be done either way. Each has its upside and downside.

pokerplyr80
08-30-2015, 01:35 PM
If it were submitted to PSA or SGC, do you have to crack the card out of it's current case prior to submission or do you send it as is? I do not have a set/card registry so I've never had the need to cross (yet). Sorry to derail if this qualifies as off topic.

You don't have to crack it out to submit to another company. You can request a minimum grade, and if it doesn't meet that minimum they will return it to you in the same holder.

Your chance of crossing or improving the grade improves if you crack it out first, but obviously there's more risk with this approach.

Mick
08-30-2015, 02:09 PM
I offered the seller to have him send it to sgc on my fedex account. I would pt to have sgc look at it, and if it crossed, I would pay him. If not, then I would pay to have it sent back to him

Guess what he said?

pokerplyr80
08-30-2015, 02:31 PM
I offered the seller to have him send it to sgc on my fedex account. I would pt to have sgc look at it, and if it crossed, I would pay him. If not, then I would pay to have it sent back to him

Guess what he said?

Something along the lines of "no thanks" sounds about right.

Bpm0014
08-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Gorgeous card but that bottom border is a little funky. Especially down on the middle/right.

iwantitiwinit
08-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Not enough of a chance to risk $12,250. In my opinion based on that photo, that card would merit an 8 grade from PSA and/or SGC. The only reason it wouldn't grade out is if it was slightly trimmed, based on that I'd stay away.

pokerplyr80
08-30-2015, 04:02 PM
I was curious as well, so I asked the seller if we reach an agreement can I return the card in the same GAI holder if PSA determines the card has been altered. This was his response:

"Thanks for your interest...I will sell the card as is. The new owner can do what they wish. Once sold, I accept no returns. I have kept the card in its current holder as I received it and will let it go at the price asked or a decent offer either on or off line"

Mick
08-30-2015, 04:19 PM
That's exactly what he said.

For 12k, it's a steal. But if it's trimmed, it's worthless

Peter_Spaeth
08-30-2015, 04:20 PM
I would bet a lot that he tried to cross it over.

gregr2
08-30-2015, 04:26 PM
I would bet a lot that he tried to cross it over.
This ^^^^^^

Mick
08-30-2015, 06:02 PM
The thing is that if you buy it through PayPal, you can return it no matter what. That's what I love about "no returns". It's meaningless

Peter_Spaeth
08-30-2015, 06:23 PM
The thing is that if you buy it through PayPal, you can return it no matter what. That's what I love about "no returns". It's meaningless

That would be real honest.

Tao_Moko
08-30-2015, 09:00 PM
The top left corner looks bat eared to me and the bottom has an odd cropped appearance that may just be the scan quality. Add the GAI holder and it's three strikes for me at that price. Beautiful card even if it is trimmed and would look nice in a 20 slot sheet if the price were right.

Bored5000
08-30-2015, 09:20 PM
I agree with the sentiment that a five-figure card is in a GAI holder for a reason. IMO, the card isn't being offered for half of SMR because the owner feels like giving away money or is a moron. I know many collectors have far bigger bankrolls than I do, but it seems amazing to me that anyone would consider taking a "chance" on crossing a card that expensive.

Bored5000
08-30-2015, 09:44 PM

Guess what he said?

The problem with that "offer" is that you might as well have messaged the seller asking him to send you a free 10 grand. That would have eliminated the need to send the card to SGC and served the same purpose as your "offer." ;)

bobbyw8469
08-30-2015, 10:08 PM
I agree with the sentiment that a five-figure card is in a GAI holder for a reason. IMO, the card isn't being offered for half of SMR because the owner feels like giving away money or is a moron. I know many collectors have far bigger bankrolls than I do, but it seems amazing to me that anyone would consider taking a "chance" on crossing a card that expensive.

+1....why in your right mind do you think a seller is willing to leave money on the table?? You think he is willing to sell it on a contingency plan so YOU can pocket all the excess money....excuse my French, but GET F***ING REAL!!!!

bobbyw8469
08-30-2015, 10:10 PM
The problem with that "offer" is that you might as well have messaged the seller asking him to send you a free 10 grand. That would have eliminated the need to send the card to SGC and served the same purpose as your "offer." ;)

Yes....that is what everyone is saying. This case is closed. The litigants for our next case are on their way in now!

ajjohnsonsoxfan
08-30-2015, 10:44 PM
I don't know...early GAI graded cards are legit and since this one is "first graded" it could be all good. The seller could also just need some no hassle cash and realizes he's going to have to sell for less given the GAI holder. It's a lot of $ to gamble but it's so enticing....

pokerplyr80
08-31-2015, 12:57 AM
I don't know...early GAI graded cards are legit and since this one is "first graded" it could be all good. The seller could also just need some no hassle cash and realizes he's going to have to sell for less given the GAI holder. It's a lot of $ to gamble but it's so enticing....

There's not much upside potential. It would have to grade a PSA 8 to pay off. Even if not altered an average GAI 8 would cross to a PSA 6 or 7, especially in the holder and not cracked out first. I don't think that card in a PSA 7 is even a 10k card, but I could be wrong about that.

I didn't ask the seller to guarantee it would cross at the same grade, just authentic and unaltered. And he wouldn't even do that.

I think this one would be enticing at 2 or 3k. Not 12k.

steve B
08-31-2015, 10:25 AM
It's hard to tell anything from such a bad scan. Oddly, it's the only one of his current scans that's got that overexposed look. And his Goudey Ruth that's an SGC 88 scanned just fine.
Hmmmmm..........

Steve B

CurtisFlood
08-31-2015, 03:13 PM
I was curious as well, so I asked the seller if we reach an agreement can I return the card in the same GAI holder if PSA determines the card has been altered. This was his response:

"Thanks for your interest...I will sell the card as is. The new owner can do what they wish. Once sold, I accept no returns. I have kept the card in its current holder as I received it and will let it go at the price asked or a decent offer either on or off line"

Sounds like the Pete Rose GAI 10 that a guy tried to submit to an auction at this year's National. Unfortunately that card was a counterfeit. Never found out if the person he bought it from at the show refunded him. That is a lot more serious issue than whether the card would cross. That constitutes fraud on somebody's part.

ezez420
09-01-2015, 07:53 PM
This card has been listed on ebay for over a year. Guy wont bend not worth it. Only way to cross is crack it and submit. I am just not willing to take a $10k+ chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1952boyntoncollector
09-01-2015, 08:08 PM
This card has been listed on ebay for over a year. Guy wont bend not worth it. Only way to cross is crack it and submit. I am just not willing to take a $10k+ chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anyway not anxious to sell the cards is just as smart as you in terms of maximizing the value with psa/sgc...he has already thought of it all......it not like a buyer out there is smarter than him to submit to psa on the side.....the only way i can see a 'steal' if the guy had just gotten the card for free or really cheap and had to sell in quick..