PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this? Mystery Box

bbcard1
08-27-2015, 12:08 PM
http://baseballfiresale.com

mattsey9
08-27-2015, 12:37 PM
http://baseballfiresale.com

It would be a lot faster to buy a 1969 Rollie Fingers for five bucks, kick myself in the nuts,and light the other 95 dollars on fire.

The experience would be the same.

rdwyer
08-27-2015, 12:45 PM
10,000 boxes! $99 each. No thanks.

Taxman
08-27-2015, 12:51 PM
"Cards in photo may not be exact cards"...enough said

ksabet
08-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Other collectibles markets do this regularly and it is a huge sham. The call them "repacks" and its always a disappointment as there is no accountability as to what they actually have.

I would vehemently encourage you to stay away.

packs
08-27-2015, 12:53 PM
10,000 boxes probably means what? 9,500 Rollie Fingers?

ajjohnsonsoxfan
08-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I would hope the cards in the photo aren't the exact cards as those are all trimmed to hell! lol

Luke
08-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Huge scam. There are two of the cards pictured that could not even be worth $100 if you get one in low grade. If there was full disclosure, and you could see that they were giving roughly $70 value per box, then each person could decide if the gamble was worth it to them for entertainment value. But this just looks really shady. I can't imagine they will sell many.

The question is, if they only sell 100 of these, will they just send out the first 100 Rollie Fingers cards and keep the rest?

JustinD
08-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Total rip off...but no excuse to slander Rollie. Lol.

Cozumeleno
08-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Looking beyond the sheer fact that many of those rookie cards (especially in low-grade condition) can be had for under $25.00 on eBay, I can't believe that they expect to sell that many of those at $100 a pop with such limited information and no scans of the high-dollar cards.

T206Collector
08-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Check out the generic brick & mortar storefront on their website! Amazing!

http://baseballfiresale.com/pages/about-us

iwantitiwinit
08-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Get ready for a bunch of Phil Niekro 1970 beaters.

JustinD
08-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Check out the generic brick & mortar storefront on their website! Amazing!

http://baseballfiresale.com/pages/about-us

Well that looks a tad more respectable than a home office of a rented PO Box in the "UPS Store".

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Baseball-Collectors-Daily/398629473652836

Address search -

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-ups-store-richmond-heights

slidekellyslide
08-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know who runs this company? How can they assure that this is a random thing and that cousin Eddie isn't going to be the lucky winner of the 52 Mantle?

packs
08-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Better question is whether or not there is a Mantle. I'd love to see a photo.

BobC
08-27-2015, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't be so sure they don't quickly sell out. This is basically the same thing these breakers do nowadays when they sell boxes and cases of cards. It is just another form of legalized gambling. I understand that these boxes will probably include 5,000+ Rollie Fingers rookie cards but, there is going to be at least one '52 Mantle, and during the National I came across one dealing selling a '52 Topps Mantle graded PSA 1, that had an actual, sizable hole punched in it. When I asked how much, he didn't flinch in responding - $12,000 firm! And right there is the reason a ton of people will spend $99 on the chance to get at least this one rookie card.

Bob

packs
08-27-2015, 03:48 PM
I haven't dipped my toe in the area yet but I really like the set breaker deals that are on the board every now and then. There are only so many cards in the set, you see photos of the actual cards being dispersed, and you have a reasonable shot at landing a star card.

arc2q
08-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Wait, Ron Santo is in the Hall of Fame?

bigtrain
08-27-2015, 04:06 PM
It would be a lot faster to buy a 1969 Rollie Fingers for five bucks, kick myself in the nuts,and light the other 95 dollars on fire.

Absolutely agree...though I am too old to be flexible enough to kick myself in that region.

trdcrdkid
08-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Wait, Ron Santo is in the Hall of Fame?

Yes. He was finally elected by the Veterans' Committee a couple of years ago, not long after he died.

pokerplyr80
08-27-2015, 05:01 PM
If there was actually a 1 in whatever chance to get the big hit out of these products than it would be worth the gamble for many, including myself. The big question I always have is how do I know I actually have a shot to pull the 52 Mantle? Even if it really was inserted into a box, how do we know that didn't end up with the guy putting this together, or his good friend?

rdwyer
08-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Buy 3 or more Mystery Boxes and get a Certified Autographed Hall of Fame Player Card!!!!!

This would mean that they would have to keep all the HOF card boxes separate.

steve B
08-27-2015, 07:26 PM
This would mean that they would have to keep all the HOF card boxes separate.

I think they mean they'll add it in as an individual card just not boxed.

They say they buy in bulk, so their cost is probably almost nothing. The shop I go to moved, and a bit before the move I asked if they had any commons boxes out back. I hadn't asked in a few years and figured I might pick up a few monster boxes of junk wax to hunt variations. Apparently he'd had them up in the magic/pokemon/whatever room but had just offloaded 2.5 million cards to a wholesaler so he wouldn't have to move them to the new space across the street.

Steve B

steve B
08-27-2015, 07:32 PM
If there was actually a 1 in whatever chance to get the big hit out of these products than it would be worth the gamble for many, including myself. The big question I always have is how do I know I actually have a shot to pull the 52 Mantle? Even if it really was inserted into a box, how do we know that didn't end up with the guy putting this together, or his good friend?

Tell you what.....Just send me $100 a month or to make it quicker a week. Lump sum payments ok too- and eventually I'll send you one of the big hit cards from their list. Probably even before you've sent me the million they'd get from a sellout. Even better deal right? Guaranteed major card!

Of course to avoid false advertising of rookie cards the Mantle wouldn't be the 52 Topps.

Steve B
wishing he had a few big deal beaters and a few big boxes of cheap rookies to turn into almost a million...

campyfan39
08-27-2015, 07:56 PM
That is the funniest thing I have ever read on this board!
Legit LOL and almost spit my drink out. Thank you sir!

mechanicalman
08-27-2015, 10:23 PM

Can you please reply to every post? That was outstanding.

Huysmans
08-28-2015, 04:09 AM
Tell you what.....Just send me $100 a month or to make it quicker a week. Lump sum payments ok too- and eventually I'll send you one of the big hit cards from their list. Probably even before you've sent me the million they'd get from a sellout. Even better deal right? Guaranteed major card!

Of course to avoid false advertising of rookie cards the Mantle wouldn't be the 52 Topps.

Steve B
wishing he had a few big deal beaters and a few big boxes of cheap rookies to turn into almost a million...

It doesn't bother me one bit that they "correctly" refer yet again to the '52 Topps Mantle as his rookie....
I think I'm going to go purchase myself a '52 Topps Mays rookie to calm down...

conor912
08-28-2015, 07:51 AM
As much as we make fun of this stuff, these kinds of things sell like hotcakes in some circles. Unfortunately, this is kind of thing my dad would buy me, despite my repeated attempts to gently ask him to stop doing so. He knows nothing about cards and knows I love them. Everyone's a sucker in at least one regard....

bn2cardz
08-28-2015, 09:22 AM

Steve B

I was thinking this, but I do see they list the 1951 Bowman also.

steve B
08-28-2015, 12:48 PM
I was thinking this, but I do see they list the 1951 Bowman also.

I didn't notice that.

They can include whatever they want. In MY offer the non-rookie cards* won't be included. :D

*To mean ones recognized by Becket only, as I'm sure there's a lot of cards listed that aren't actually a players first card.

steve B

bn2cardz
08-28-2015, 01:07 PM
I didn't notice that.

They can include whatever they want. In MY offer the non-rookie cards* won't be included. :D

*To mean ones recognized by Becket only, as I'm sure there's a lot of cards listed that aren't actually a players first card.

steve B

GREAT! I will get my bank account set up to send weekly payments your way.