PDA

View Full Version : W514 Hendlers "Palate" and "Plate"

darwinbulldog
08-25-2015, 01:19 PM
I think I might have a read a thread here about this previously, but I can't find it now. In any event, is there someone here who could shed light on the two different Hendlers Ice Cream slogans "A Pal for Your Plate" and "A Pal for Your Palate"? Is it believed that "Plate" was a spelling error later corrected to "Palate"? Is there in fact more than one known copy of either card?

Leon
08-25-2015, 05:29 PM
I think I have seen 2, including the one I just had. Not sure if it was a print error or what. Kind of a small sampling to know too much. Mine had "plate" on it.

ValKehl
08-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Glenn, my Sam Rice example has "Palate." Do you have a Hendlers card?
Val

darwinbulldog
08-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I picked up Leon's "Plate" at Heritage.

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/singles-pre-1930-/1919-21-w514-barker-bread-and-hendler-s-ice-cream-pair-2-/a/7116-79460.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013

brianp-beme
08-26-2015, 02:19 AM
I don't know any specifics about these cards (we are talking rare rare rare), but to me it doesn't seem like an error correction, but just two different playful slogans, both of which make grammatical sense.

Brian (my varied palate includes plates)

darwinbulldog
08-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Grammatically, sure. Semantically even. But "A Pal for Your Palate" makes more sense as a slogan, much as "We Put the Pal in Palate." And "plate," since it is the more common word, and since either one makes sense, is more likely to have been the result of an error in copying/typing "palate" than the other way around. That's nothing more than an educated guess of course. And I don't suppose it would affect the value either way.

ValKehl
08-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Glenn, I was an under bidder on the Heritage lot. If you ever lose interest in the Barker Bread card, kindly LMK.
Val

darwinbulldog
08-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Good to know, but Eddie Collins, D cards, and type cards are all very high on my list of collecting interests, so unless that changes it would take something pretty extraordinary for me to consider parting with the Barker.

DaveW
08-27-2015, 09:00 AM
A quick Google of Hendler's Ice Cream shows some of their advertising signs which all say "A pal for your palate" - so Plate was probably a typo that was later corrected to Palate.

Leon
08-27-2015, 09:25 AM
A quick Google of Hendler's Ice Cream shows some of their advertising signs which all say "A pal for your palate" - so Plate was probably a typo that was later corrected to Palate.

Nice bit of detective work.
And to think, the one that found its new collection is the rare typo variation type :).

darwinbulldog
08-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Nice bit of detective work.
And to think, the one that found its new collection is the rare typo variation type :).

T206s with letters missing from the back go for about 40x the base price:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=203584&highlight=spotted

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume the same for the Hendlers with the missing A.

frankbmd
08-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Now I would have gone with

"Serve Hendlers with nuts, good for your guts" ;),

But that's just me.:D

brianp-beme
08-28-2015, 11:40 AM

Ok, I give...an alternate slogan would have instead most likely have been "A pal for your BOWL". I guess my barbarian 'ice cream on a plate' habits have been exposed, and now I will go back to cowering behind the keyboard, afraid to reveal my baser tendencies.

By the way, nice bit of internet research DaveW.

Brian