PDA

View Full Version : Bank Deposit Box

pokerplyr80
08-24-2015, 01:30 PM
So I finally broke down and opened a bank deposit box today. I enjoy having my favorite cards at home to look at on a daily basis. But we had a home break in a few years ago before I had much of a collection, and I haven't really felt safe having expensive cards in the house when no one is home.

Just curious how many of you have made the same decision. At what point is a card or collection to valuable to leave lying around the house? I know some people have said just get a safe, but my fear is that if someone is breaking into a home I'm sure they can find a way to take the safe with them.

packs
08-24-2015, 01:37 PM
I've been contemplating getting one of these lately too. My bank offers access to a box free of charge with my account, I just don't know if I really want to do that or if I prefer to keep them at home.

Stonepony
08-24-2015, 01:37 PM
SD boxes are just one thing that help me sleep better. Looking through them in those little rooms is like Christmas morning if you haven't visited in awhile.

philliesfan
08-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Did you think about the legal aspect of the safe deposit box if you pass on? If I recall correctly, when the owner passes, no one can access the box until the box is inventoried by the state so they can determine a value to get their "fair" share.

I think the best route is a safe kept in a closet or hidden in some type of way.
Robert

mybuddyinc
08-24-2015, 01:51 PM
I am not a paranoid person by nature (other than the Martians intercepting my brain waves :rolleyes:). But, I finally had to put my T206s in a SD box. Having a simple binder sitting on my desk didn't bother me (and Martians are more into Caramels, anyway :p). However, looking at a stack of $100 bills sitting there did concern me.

Stonepony
08-24-2015, 01:54 PM
I have my daughter on my box with me. When I die... she knows what to do. As far as an in home safe, I have one. However, if someone wants in your safe... they're gonna get in.

Jewish-collector
08-24-2015, 02:58 PM
Should you put a card in the safe deposit box worth $200 ? How about $2000? How about $20,000 ? How about $200,000 ?

bbcard1
08-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Should you put a card in the safe deposit box worth $200 ? How about $2000? How about $20,000 ? How about $200,000 ?

though more expensive, insurance is another option to achieve a similar objective.

Griffins
08-24-2015, 03:17 PM
I have a couple of SD boxes, everything is in there. Nice to visit and occasionally bring a few items home for a few days, but much more peace of mind having them in there. Unfortunate reality I'm afraid.

T206Collector
08-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Insurance doesn't work for the one-of-a-kind cards that I collect. I started getting nervous with some of the signed cards I began to accrue about 8 years ago. The safe deposit box keeps me from sweating that. I almost prefer to look at my cards in hi-res scans anyway.

Brian Van Horn
08-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Bank deposit boxes are the best way to go.

joeadcock
08-24-2015, 03:28 PM

I have used safe deposit box for years. I put in what I can until nothing will fit in there anymore.

philliesphan
08-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Insurance doesn't work for the one-of-a-kind cards that I collect. I started getting nervous with some of the signed cards I began to accrue about 8 years ago. The safe deposit box keeps me from sweating that. I almost prefer to look at my cards in hi-res scans anyway.

They are certainly an option. But you do realize that your items are not insured in the Bank Deposit box, and the bank assumes no liability if something happens? I've heard stories of robberies, water (humidity) damage, etc. Just something to keep in mind. It is certainly better than keeping cards under your mattress, but it is no more foolproof than other security measures.

Iron Horse
08-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Safe bolted to the concrete floor, and insured. You get to look at them when you want and if stolen then you are covered.
If you have one of a kind item then i can see the bank deposit box.

glchen
08-24-2015, 03:50 PM
They are certainly an option. But you do realize that your items are not insured in the Bank Deposit box, and the bank assumes no liability if something happens? I've heard stories of robberies, water (humidity) damage, etc. Just something to keep in mind. It is certainly better than keeping cards under your mattress, but it is no more foolproof than other security measures.

+1. Right, I was going to mention this also. I live in the SF Bay area, where we can always be at risk for flooding or earthquakes. If these events damage your safety box, the bank has no liability.

pcoz
08-24-2015, 04:16 PM
I have almost all of mine in a SDB. It's temperature controlled, safe, and it gives me piece of mind. I live in Lancaster PA, not on the West Coast with natural disasters, so maybe it's a little different here. But, I see no downside in having one, as there's more risk of theft in my home than in a bank.

tschock
08-24-2015, 06:48 PM
I prefer the hoarder method of collecting. There is so much 'junk' in our house that robbers wouldn't know where to start and probably just leave out of confusion after grabbing the flat screen. :)

Laxcat
08-24-2015, 06:55 PM
My father used an old gun safe that must have weighed a ton, at least. They also had to get by the shotgun and the .45 if they wanted the safe.

frankbmd
08-24-2015, 06:58 PM
The only break ins I have had or worry about are the squirrels and the bears.
The deer are only looky loos.
My bank has the same problem, except some or their squirrels are armed.

Sean
08-24-2015, 07:24 PM
I prefer a safe deposit box. Insurance would get me money, but nothing can replace those cards.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
08-24-2015, 10:57 PM
For rare one of a kind big $$$ items a safe deposit box makes 100% sense. For me the joy of collecting means I can see and enjoy my stuff everyday (and not just a digital scan) without having to take a ride to the bank.

Leon
08-25-2015, 07:05 AM
When we built our house 15 yrs ago we built a secret room and had a 1200 lb jewelers safe put in it (by tow truck). We have a monitored alarm system too. After living here a few years and continuing to increase my collectons worth I decided to get a safe depoist box for the most valuable things.

The time to get a safe deposit box is when, no matter what, you can't afford to lose what you have at home. (that was the litmus test for me)

Exhibitman
08-25-2015, 02:56 PM
SD box for the rare ones. Had one for decades. Not necessarily expensive cards, the items it took years to find. Insurance covers the rest quite adequately.

I don't like home safes. I want a robber in and out quickly, not sticking a gun in my face or my family's face to force the safe open.

If you put your wife on as a co-signatory for the SD box she can get access if you die [or sooner--better trust her before you put her name in there]. With the estate tax not kicking in until well over $5 million, however, and that number indexed for inflation my hunch is that the value of cards isn't going to impact the value and taxation of most estates.

ALR-bishop
08-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Was executor on estate of guy whose box was in a bank that flooded in a major flood. It was months before I was given access. Fortunately his box was up high . When I got access you could see the flood line half way up the vault. Anything paper in the boxes below it was a total loss. I saw some folks going through some of those.

stlcardsfan
08-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Al, do you remember the old Lemay Bank in St. Louis flooded during '93. I believe a priceless violin was down low and lost in the flood.

pokerplyr80
08-27-2015, 03:57 PM
For rare one of a kind big $$$ items a safe deposit box makes 100% sense. For me the joy of collecting means I can see and enjoy my stuff everyday (and not just a digital scan) without having to take a ride to the bank.

Thanks for the responses. AJ this is the main reason I put off getting one. But Leon's reasoning was pretty much what I was thinking when I signed up. I couldn't really afford to lose my collection. And since we already had a break in I would often worry when we were away from the house more than a day or so.

bcbgcbrcb
08-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Having been in the retail banking business for nearly 30 years now, one thing I can tell you is that the bank vaults have very limited climate control inside so depending on your locale, very warm areas during the summer months will get mighty hot inside the bank vault and cold climate areas will get mighty cold during the wintertime. This can be especially true on weekends and hours when the bank is not open for business.

GehrigFan
08-28-2015, 09:24 AM
I'll give you guys a little hint - check Craigslist for safes. And I mean "real" safes! When you guys talk about people who want in to a safe will get in... I assure you, nobody is breaking into my 1930's Mosler Bank Safe. you need to buy a big safe, and one that offers double protection (burglary proof and fire-rated). The older bank safes generally offer both.

You are right that the little "safes" you buy at Walmart and such are not much protection, and most people don't even bolt them down like they need to be. But Craigslist can be a gold mine because people end up with these antique, heavy safes and just want someone to haul them off. THAT is the hard part! You may need to hire professional safe movers, so if you live in the middle of nowhere, you may be out of luck, but in a bigger metropolitan area you should be able to find something and either haul it on a UHaul with a lift, or get lots of help!

Mark

glchen
08-28-2015, 10:25 AM
I'll give you guys a little hint - check Craigslist for safes. And I mean "real" safes! When you guys talk about people who want in to a safe will get in... I assure you, nobody is breaking into my 1930's Mosler Bank Safe. you need to buy a big safe, and one that offers double protection (burglary proof and fire-rated). The older bank safes generally offer both.

This is an absolutely horrible joke, but I can't resist it. I think that guy from the Antman movie could probably break into a Mosler Bank Safe.

Griffins
08-28-2015, 10:42 AM
I don't like home safes. I want a robber in and out quickly, not sticking a gun in my face or my family's face to force the safe open.

This.

pawpawdiv9
08-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Dig a hole and place into a time capsule. Then include in your will, the GPS coordinates for your siblings to find.

Jlighter
08-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Dig a hole and place into a time capsule. Then include in your will, the GPS coordinates for your siblings to find.

Hahaha

If you can't hold the cards, even if they're in plastic, and look at them on demand then what's the point? Might as well buy stocks, maybe not right now, and look at scans on here. More or less the same thing except you don't get the ability to boast about your collection to others.