PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Wanted on non T206 issues

rocarroll
08-23-2015, 05:41 AM
I started back collecting about 4 or 5 years ago and picked up on the T 206 cards because that's what I know. 20 yrs ago when I collected I focused on T 206 and Cracker Jacks. The Cracker Jacks are so through the roof right now price wise I've stayed away. However I'm interested in finding another series to collect and learn about and I'd like it to be something 1908 -1915, tobacco candy or caramel issues.

Since there are so many issues out there I was looking for some suggestions from people here on a cool issue that isn't overly difficult to find and has a good number of HOF's in it. I want something that is on ebay often and frequently listed here. Maybe an issue that is on the upswing but isn't at the top of the market like the CJ's. Can I hear some suggestions on this?

buymycards
08-23-2015, 05:47 AM
T205's are plentiful, with a few variations, several different backs, some HOF'ers, and they are beautiful cards.

Might be an option.

Rick

Leon
08-23-2015, 06:38 AM
T204 Ramlys are down price-wise, in mid condition range. They are one of the best looking cards ever made to many of us. Some from my previous collection, now residing elsehwere...

rocarroll
08-23-2015, 08:27 AM
T204 Ramlys are down price-wise, in mid condition range. They are one of the best looking cards ever made to many of us. Some from my previous collection, now residing elsehwere...

Wow those are interesting. Thanks for pointing them out. I'll look these up

Mark
08-23-2015, 08:40 AM
I can't say that the set is on an upswing, but if you like sets that are always on eBay, that include a whole generation of players, and that has seemingly endless variations of fronts and backs (a la t206), there is always E121.

RaidonCollects
08-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Some personal favourites of mine:

E90-1
-The set I'm working on right now, not overly expensive and fairly interesting, the short prints are fascinating and each card in the set tells a story.

E92
-A personal favourite, lots of good looking backs to collect, and a great checklist, no extremely expensive cards either :)

Also, if you like too many sets, then maybe type collecting is for you (acquiring one card from each set). Great suggestions above aswell.

~Owen

mechanicalman
08-23-2015, 10:45 AM
I would suggest looking at e95 Philly Caramels. It's a small set (25 cards), but packed with HOFs. The images are very colorful and some hauntingly beautiful; the big challenge is finding centered examples. The commons actually generally sell for less than SMR, so there is some value there. Not sure if they are on the upswing, but I can only imagine that as more collectors expand beyong T206, it should fuel demand.

pokerplyr80
08-23-2015, 12:26 PM
I like the E90-1 set as well. Obviously the Joe Jackson card is expensive, but I think the cards look great and there are a lot of HOFers. Others have made some great suggestions, and I personally like the approach of getting a few nice cards from different sets if you're not focused on building an entire set.

Jobu
08-23-2015, 12:37 PM
I don't actively collect any of these issues, but I have 3 suggestions to check out. I like Leon's suggestion of T204 - prices seem to be down and the cards are very cool. T3 Turkey Reds are also great-looking cards whose prices have dropped some. M116 are regularly available at good prices and there are a lot of HOFers.

rocarroll
08-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Great suggestions, thanks for all the info. I've looked up every single one that has been suggested on here, these are some great series. I agree that E90-1 series is very cool as is the E95. I'll probably work on some cards from each and see which one grabs me the best. I love T 206 and will continue b/c I have a long way to go on that but I need something else to keep me interested.

mybuddyinc
08-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Ryan,

E90-1 is one heck of a GREAT set. HOWEVER, it is tough as heck also. Even throwing out Jackson, you still have the big HOFs; only one Cobb and Mathewson, but two Wangers and Youngs. Joss, Keeler, and Walsh are also harder than expected.

Then you get into the "short prints" (which are cool and fascinating), but can get ridiculously hard: Karger, Duffy, Sweeney (Bost.), Graham, Stahl. And don't forget the Mitchell (Cin.), one time misnomer "The Wagner of Caramel's."

It certainly would be a challenge :):) I certainly would love to have mine back :(

202082 202083202086

Fun. fun, Scott

edhans
08-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Ryan,

E90-1 is one heck of a GREAT set. HOWEVER, it is tough as heck also. Even throwing out Jackson, you still have the big HOFs; only one Cobb and Mathewson, but two Wangers and Youngs. Joss, Keeler, and Walsh are also harder than expected.

Then you get into the "short prints" (which are cool and fascinating), but can get ridiculously hard: Karger, Duffy, Sweeney (Bost.), Graham, Stahl. And don't forget the Mitchell (Cin.), one time misnomer "The Wagner of Caramel's."

It certainly would be a challenge :):) I certainly would love to have mine back :(

We should add Speaker (and others) to the ridiculously hard list.

shernan30
08-24-2015, 11:28 AM
E94s are always a good set, tougher than T206 but obtainable. There are typically a handful available, but the supply is limited compared to other caramel issues. I've researched the set some, but haven't personally started the set. Various color backgrounds and overprints can make the journey a lot of fun.

EvilKing00
08-24-2015, 06:19 PM
202208Id say t205's, you can find them here or ebay, prices it seems have plenty of room to go higher, cards are beautiful, many different and some rare backs, card also has players stats and a little bio on back.

Harford20
08-25-2015, 07:30 AM
I agree with the T205 recommendations.
There are enough of both commons and HOFs to keep the collection interesting, plus a few SUPER-RARE variations. You can then always go back and work on back runs.
The T205's also fit your desired "set on the upswing but not peaked" as the T205's are gaining momentum and prices are moving up (at least for the HOFers).
Dave

judsonhamlin
08-25-2015, 03:49 PM
How about E93 - lots of HOFers and not impossible. If you are looking for a slightly newer set, E120 might fit your bill.

Econteachert205
08-25-2015, 03:52 PM
I'm a t205 guy of course, but let me also throw out m116s as a possibility, one I'm looking at more closely myself.

Zach Wheat
08-26-2015, 09:18 PM
I have to mention T200s. You can find quite a few cards. Particularly appealing to me is that they are actual pictures and not easy to fake. In addition you can collect a high end set if you want to spend quite a bit of money while lower end cards are almost always available for most of the set.

The set has numerous HOFer on most cards and the set has perhaps only 3 or 4 cards that will be difficult to pick up. It was a set i enjoyed collecting and completing.

Z

bwbc917
08-27-2015, 09:47 AM
One of the first vintage cards I ever bought was a T202 from Lew Lipset. Gotta love the players and the photo, plus the storyline on the back. I really recommend these.