PDA

View Full Version : Trash-picked Stadium Seat

Potter
08-23-2015, 12:55 AM
I hope that I am posting this in the appropriate spot...if I have erred, please forgive me. I'm looking for info or to sell or ??

I was driving near my house the other day and there was an enormous pile of garbage ready for a special pick up by the city......something made me go back and take a closer look.

I pulled out what seems clearly to be an old stadium seat. It's pretty cool. It has cast iron sides with curved wooden slats for the seat and backrest. The red color is clearly not original...and it looks like there have been at least a couple of colors on it. Down deep it seems to be a blue/gray color...like a dusty blue. I think you can see it in the attached photo. Seat weighs a ton.

Can any of you help identify where this might have come from? I don't know if it was from a county fairgrounds or Tiger Stadium or IKEA's first store! Does it have any value......and if so, roughly what would that be?

7nohitter
08-23-2015, 05:13 AM
Hmm, very interesting. Whether it's from an old MLB stadium or some Div III college, it's a nice piece!

Interested to see what the experts say.....what city are you in?

Potter
08-23-2015, 11:51 AM
I found this in Dayton, OH......so I attribute the red paint-over as homageto Cincinnati, which is right down the road. But that is pure conjecture on my part!

ooo-ribay
08-23-2015, 12:14 PM
I wish I could stumble upon that type of stuff! Great find!

Do I see some embossing above the seat's pivot point?

Runscott
08-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Wow. I would get it dna-tested for hot dog meat residue, mustard, beer, etc. Then research the brands being sold in various stadiums to narrow down its origin.

murphusa
08-23-2015, 03:12 PM
I had about 10 of the exact same seats a few years ago that came out of the same area. They were not from a major league park

Still a great example of an older word seat

Potter
08-23-2015, 04:45 PM
I've done a wee tad of pokin' around....and am i missing something or might this be a Yankee seat? I saw few that are virtually identical!!

I like the hot dog DNA idea!

Scott Garner
08-23-2015, 04:58 PM
I believe that these seats were to the stadium that the Dayton Ducks played in during the 1930's.

Here are some photos of the 1933 Dayton Ducks team including Johnny "Double No-Hit" Vander Meer in his fist year of professional ball.

khkco4bls
08-23-2015, 06:26 PM
That style of seat is typical of a lot of stadiums

Potter
08-24-2015, 10:45 AM
So I should probably try to get my down payment back for the luxury yacht I was going to buy with the proceeds?

oldirtyfishkilla
08-27-2015, 07:06 PM
I have a Yankee Stadium arm support exactly like that in my collection. I can just make out some blue on yours but if you can also make out some "sea foam green", I'd say you may have a match. Google the YS chairs that look like yours and see if you have a match! Also, see if there is any lettering on the frame and post it and I will check mine Good luck!!

batsballsbases
08-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Its not a Yankees seat. The frame is different as the yankee ones have a slot cut out on the frame and they dont connect the seats in the middle like that with a bolt.. Same set up but different as other stadium seats were probably made by the same company...

oldirtyfishkilla
08-30-2015, 07:15 PM
I see now that mine has the open slot on the side just like yours so chances are it's not YS.