PDA

View Full Version : 1934-36 Batter Up Cards

Joshchisox08
08-20-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm looking for more info on these cards. Other than T206 they may be my favorite set yet I know almost nothing about them.

I traded for a few off my dad years ago and was forced to sell them for financial reasons. I had a Frankie Frisch which was my prized possession at the time. Reason being they were all his dads cards. RIP POPPA BOBBY

Are there any significance between the colors ? I've seen black and white, and green, and purple ?

Any errors ?

Anything different between the low number cards and high number as far as appearance ???

DaveW
08-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Kind of cool cards. There is some info on oldcardboard.com about them.

bigfanNY
08-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Josh IMHO a great set to collect (Not an easy set to collect) And the absence of Ruth or Gehrig means that there is no super expensive card. As you have seen low number cards come in 6 colors: Black and white, Brown, Blue, Red, Purple Green. High Numbers which are 1/4 inch smaller come in 4: Black, Brown, Green, Blue.
I have run into a few small lots of these over the years but never a batch of High numbers so never tried to put a set together. The high number Dickey is one of my 50 favorite baseball cards and the high numbers feature stadium backgrounds vs the solid background shots used in the low numbers. I personally favor the straight Black and white versions but I knew a collector who's low set was mostly Blue tints. All about preference and availability Nice selection of hall of famers fairly priced given that they are scarce and fragile. Good Luck
(I would start with Hall of Famers)

glynparson
08-21-2015, 04:00 AM
is a rather difficult and extremely popular card from this set. Moe is a popular card in every set he's in but is especially popular in this issue.

brianp-beme
08-21-2015, 04:51 AM
Sorry no links, but there were two good discussions about Batter-Up cards on here a while back. The first one was originally posted by Zan at the end of May 2014, and about half way through thread Judson Hamlin (I think that is his Net54 ID) posted an interesting theory about the color distribution (what is available for cards 1-40, and above #41). Others pitched in their thoughts at the end of the thread. Judson followed up a couple of days later with a more detailed theory, and a challenge, which I do not believe has been disproven.

Someone with more talent than I am currently capable of perhaps could post links to these two threads.

Brian

judsonhamlin
08-21-2015, 05:42 AM
Hey all. I just saw this so let me add what I can. I think the traditional belief was that 1-80 were found in all six colors (blue, brown, black, pink/purple, green and red). I have never seen 41-80 in either green or red so I am fairly confident after several years of looking that those colors just weren't printed. Based on looking at off-centered cards , it also appears that 1-40 and 41-80 were printed on separate sheets. Red and green are the toughest colors but there is no premium with those colors.
As far as the high numbers, 81-192, all cards seem to be available in all four known tones. It also seems that those cards were printed on two sheets but my initial research seems to indicate they were skip-numbered on the sheets. Looking at the size and font of the caption boxes on the high numbers appears to be the key, and that, in turn, makes the relative scarcity of different high numbers make more sense. More work needed on that, however.
Nice set but not an easy one to put together once you get to the high numbers.

Joshchisox08
08-21-2015, 06:40 AM
Thanks for all the info guys !!! I don't know what it is about this set but I love it. Maybe it's that my grandfather collected it maybe it's the quirkiness of the cards and the nice selection of players.

I picked up a Joe Cronin in Cooperstown a couple years ago and that's the only Batter-Up I have left.

I used to have the Frisch, Simmons, Grove, Dickey, Chapman, McNair, and that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

I noticed that these cards aren't nearly as pricey as T206s and would make a great side set to collect !!!!

Working on my Master spreadsheet for this set now !!!

Leon
08-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Hey all. I just saw this so let me add what I can. I think the traditional belief was that 1-80 were found in all six colors (blue, brown, black, pink/purple, green and red). I have never seen 41-80 in either green or red so I am fairly confident after several years of looking that those colors just weren't printed. Based on looking at off-centered cards , it also appears that 1-40 and 41-80 were printed on separate sheets. Red and green are the toughest colors but there is no premium with those colors.
As far as the high numbers, 81-192, all cards seem to be available in all four known tones. It also seems that those cards were printed on two sheets but my initial research seems to indicate they were skip-numbered on the sheets. Looking at the size and font of the caption boxes on the high numbers appears to be the key, and that, in turn, makes the relative scarcity of different high numbers make more sense. More work needed on that, however.
Nice set but not an easy one to put together once you get to the high numbers.

Great info, thanks for sharing!!