PDA

View Full Version : Philly Show vs. Pope

Buythatcard
08-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Did you realize that the Philly Show 9/25 - 9/27 is the same weekend that the Pope is visiting Philadelphia?

They expect over 2 million people to come and see the Pope. That means every Hotel and Motel in the area will be booked. In addition many roads will be closed into Philly including the Ben Franklin Bridge.

One article says that any road within 50 miles of Philly will be a problem on that weekend. Many of the people coming to se the Pope will be walking.

I am thinking twice about attending the show.

It would be nice if the Pope would change his schedule so that we can all get to the Philly show.

x2drich2000
08-19-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm still thinking about attending and will be coming from basically the same area as you (Somerville). I will probably modify my travel a bit. Instead ofgo down through the PA turnpike, I'll likely go out 78 to the NE ext and then down some backroads. A bit longer, but I think this will be the better route to avoid the traffic. Since I won't spend the night, I'm not worried about a hotel, but I think being out in KOP you may just be far enough away without too many headaches. I don't believe KOP has direct rail service into the city. The Ben Franklin is on the opposite side to the city and leads directly into where the pope will be spending most of his time.

I do expect the foot traffic to be significantly lighter. From a purchasing standpoint, I expect to either find great deals from the dealers that set up and want to recoup their table fees or very few dealers to begin with.

DJ

judsonhamlin
08-19-2015, 03:59 PM
I usually head down to the show, but I am taking a pass this time around. The Pennsy Pike is insane enough as is without the Pope's visit throwing all those Pennsylvania drivers into a tizzy. Will save my money for December.

wonkaticket
08-19-2015, 04:32 PM
I think the Pope and Levi should switch hats for the day.

toppcat
08-19-2015, 04:34 PM
I think the Pope and Levi should switch hats for the day.

Yes!

chernieto
08-19-2015, 04:36 PM
I don't believe it's a coincidence. My understanding is the Pope is an avid collector and intends on attending the show.

Buythatcard
08-19-2015, 04:58 PM
I heard rumors that the Pope might be signing at the show. He is only signing flats.

philliesfan
08-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Personally, I don't think that travel will be a problem but I could be wrong. I am not sure about attendance though. I had thoughts of setting up at the show and even inquired if there were spaces, both booth and tables available. The response was that they do have space available and all the information I will need will be on the web site.

Well I was wondering how much space was available so I printed a copy of the floor plan and blacked out each space from the dealer list they had on the site. If I did not miss any, they have a good amount of table space available. Now I am rethinking this venture.

Robert

BlueSky
08-19-2015, 06:31 PM
https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/pope_card_layout_001.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=940

kkkkandp
08-19-2015, 06:51 PM
https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/pope_card_layout_001.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=940

Big hitter The Pope.....long.

Jewish-collector
08-19-2015, 07:58 PM
I plan on attending on that Friday. I'll be taking the back roads, so hopefully I won't have a problem getting there. Maybe the Pope will join us before the show for some kosher deli. :D

SMPEP
08-20-2015, 09:01 AM
He said I'll gain total consciouness on my death bed. So I got that going for me.

basesareempty
08-20-2015, 09:11 AM
I will be sitting this one out. I deal with enough driving/traffic issues daily working in and around Washington DC.

btcarfagno
08-20-2015, 11:05 AM
He said I'll gain total consciouness on my death bed. So I got that going for me.

Which is nice.

Tom C

Shoeless Moe
08-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Are you sure you don't have your facts straight and maybe it is this guy signing at the Show

Hawk Harrelson gave him the nickname "the Pope" when he was playing