PDA

View Full Version : First Experience with PSA & SGC

Jobu
08-17-2015, 10:39 PM
I spent a good chunk of my half-day at the National submittting my first-ever cards to PSA and SGC for grading. The card to SGC was done in a few hours given the cost of grading a variation while the PSA cards had to be mailed back because I was only at the show for one afternoon. All of the people who helped me at the show were very nice, though the PSA line moved really slowly.

I have collector's insurance but still paid for insurance on the shipping back from PSA because I didn't know how to set things up so that my insurance could be used.* Wiith the note that follows below there is already too much writing in this post without any scans, so I wanted to share the results of my first submission. I am pretty happy. I thought the Ted Williams would get a little bit higher than a 5 but I can't complain too much because two cards actually came back as the highest graded by PSA/SGC (the CB Bush & Maloney).

*Note: I have since sent another card and have figured it out. Many of you probably know all of this but I figured I would tell the story in case not everyone is aware. You can use your own insurance and just pay the straight shipping rate if you provide PSA with a FedEx or USPS account number. With FedEx you can choose your shipping level while with USPS PSA only offers "USPS Express Mail Account" which they will tell you is a "USPS 3rd Party Express Mail Account" if you call them. 95% of USPS employees will have no idea what you are talking about if you request either of these (trust me, I talked to this 95% first - and it took a loooong time). What PSA actually means is that you have to have a Corporate Express Account, where every package must be sent using over night Express Mail (though apparently it comes with a discount if you have an account). You are able to open this type of account as an individual though the application is snail mail rather than online.

Anyway, I am excited to have finally broken the ice and submitted some cards so I just wanted to share.

Jantz
08-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Nice cards Bryan!

atx840
08-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Very nice Bryan, some great grades.

DeanH3
08-18-2015, 01:01 AM
Nice first sub Bryan. Congrats on some awesome cards.

tjb1952tjb
08-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Nice cards, Bryan............and tough T206 backs.

Steve D
08-18-2015, 03:51 AM
Awesome cards Bryan.

Congratulations!

Steve

hangman62
08-18-2015, 03:56 AM
Bryan
they look real nice

what was the approx. total cost to you to get all them graded, plus the shipping,plus the insurance,plus whatever else ?

TUM301
08-18-2015, 05:30 AM
Looking good Brian, was just wondering how you did with the Murray at the national. Now I know and it looks great ! Did you purchase anything while there or happen to see one of those Ruth`s you had mentioned ?

08-18-2015, 05:42 AM
Nice cards! Thanks for sharing.

T206Collector
08-18-2015, 07:00 AM
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing

darwinbulldog
08-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Every one of those looks great, Bryan. I love the T215 Murray.

Jobu
08-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all of the kind words guys!

The T206 Murr'y cost $150 (no shipping because it was done in ~2 hours) with SGC. I think that breaks down to $75 because of the value of the card and $75 because it is a variation and they charge extra for those.

The PSA rep kindly did the math on the best way for me to submit my lot (a total of 10 cards, I didn't post the few small ones). Using the show grading as a non-member would have been more expensive than signing up for a year at their platinum level ($199) and using the free submissions that go with it for the 10 cards (and I was left with 2 additional free subs). Getting that group shipped back to me set me back $42, which would have been about $10-12 (I think) had I not had to pay for the insurance. Had I wanted them done that same day at the show it would have been $750 so shipping was A-OK with me. I should mention that PSA would have had the cards done by Sunday for free pick up at the show, but I was no longer in town. The PSA reps I spoke to on the phone and over email regarding my many questions were all nice and responded quickly, and all of the people I interacted with at their table at the National were also nice.

Thanks for remembering my hunt for the Ruth. I actually didn't see one there and Leon's went for more than I could justify so the search for my holy grail continues. I had been planning to flip the T206 Murr'y to pay for it and still might sell that anyway now that the seed has been planted in my mind.

JohnP0621
08-18-2015, 09:32 AM
If you ever Decide to do a Back Run on the Tannehill, I have a PSA 3 -AB460 of that card Which would go Nice with your Red Hindu. I am looking to add a Carolina Brights to my collection. Keep me in mind if you ever want to trade.

Regards
John Perrotta

freakhappy
08-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Sweet cards, Bryan...congrats on the grades!

Joshchisox08
08-18-2015, 12:43 PM
I spent a good chunk of my half-day at the National submittting my first-ever cards to PSA and SGC for grading. The card to SGC was done in a few hours given the cost of grading a variation while the PSA cards had to be mailed back because I was only at the show for one afternoon. All of the people who helped me at the show were very nice, though the PSA line moved really slowly.

I have collector's insurance but still paid for insurance on the shipping back from PSA because I didn't know how to set things up so that my insurance could be used.* Wiith the note that follows below there is already too much writing in this post without any scans, so I wanted to share the results of my first submission. I am pretty happy. I thought the Ted Williams would get a little bit higher than a 5 but I can't complain too much because two cards actually came back as the highest graded by PSA/SGC (the CB Bush & Maloney).

*Note: I have since sent another card and have figured it out. Many of you probably know all of this but I figured I would tell the story in case not everyone is aware. You can use your own insurance and just pay the straight shipping rate if you provide PSA with a FedEx or USPS account number. With FedEx you can choose your shipping level while with USPS PSA only offers "USPS Express Mail Account" which they will tell you is a "USPS 3rd Party Express Mail Account" if you call them. 95% of USPS employees will have no idea what you are talking about if you request either of these (trust me, I talked to this 95% first - and it took a loooong time). What PSA actually means is that you have to have a Corporate Express Account, where every package must be sent using over night Express Mail (though apparently it comes with a discount if you have an account). You are able to open this type of account as an individual though the application is snail mail rather than online.

Anyway, I am excited to have finally broken the ice and submitted some cards so I just wanted to share.

No wonder you're excited

A RED HINDU TANNEHILL :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

All of those Carolina Brights !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hyperventalating :eek:

ullmandds
08-18-2015, 12:46 PM
congrats and nice cards!!!!

I just got an email stating my SGC nat'l submission is in the mail on its way back to me...and the grades on the website all seem in line with my expectations.

AddieJoss
08-18-2015, 01:27 PM
I submitted cards to PSA in bulk (28 cards or so) and they are not even entered in my account yet. Then after they finally do enter them, then I can wait the 50+ business days for them.

ullmandds
08-18-2015, 01:33 PM
I submitted cards to PSA in bulk (28 cards or so) and they are not even entered in my account yet. Then after they finally do enter them, then I can wait the 50+ business days for them.

yup...that's what u get w/PSA...but as KEVIN loves to boast...when it comes time to resell you'll be laughing all the way to the bank!!!!

mrvster
08-18-2015, 01:35 PM
congrats my friend! some blue chips there :eek:

you are becoming a master very quickly sir;)

AddieJoss
08-18-2015, 02:46 PM
yup...that's what u get w/PSA...but as KEVIN loves to boast...when it comes time to resell you'll be laughing all the way to the bank!!!!
I may just pick them up in AC if they are done by then.

08-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I may just pick them up in AC if they are done by then.

I'm a PSA fan, but this made me laugh.

Enfuego
08-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Good Stuff!