PDA

View Full Version : ebay screen freezing trying to place snipe bid...

yanksfan09
08-17-2015, 10:03 PM
I don't use a snipe service but just tried putting a bid in with a full 6 seconds left and the screen just froze on me until after the auction ended. Pretty disappointed as I'd been waiting over a year for the card to pop up.

Anyone else have this issue?

3-2-count
08-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Yes. I've been experiencing irritating software glitches such as you state for about a week now.

yanksfan09
08-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Ebay's definitely gonna lose out on some money for these issues if they care. Maybe they're just content with being like Amazon with all the BIN listings.

Very upset.... Oh well, guess I'll call it a night.

Jantz
08-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Ebay hasn't been freezing up for me while non-snipe bidding tonight, but some other glitch has been affecting my searches.

For example, I was looking for T206 Brashear cards, typed in the info under "all categories" and got a message saying "zero results found for T206 Brashear in the Home & Garden category".

A few minutes later, my next T206 search took me to the Art category. :confused:

bobbyw8469
08-18-2015, 04:16 AM
As much as everyone hates to do it, that is why it sometimes pays to bid on cards the old fashioned way.

swarmee
08-18-2015, 04:40 AM
I think he was trying to place the bid "the old fashioned way." His 'snipe' reference was to placing a bid in the last 10 seconds, which is a snipe. He doesn't say he's using a snipe service.

Were you on an app or desktop/laptop computer browser? I have seen the app be off by a few seconds, and in some cases show that an item ended and then still had two seconds to go, where more bids got in. Best to make end-of-auction bids on a desktop computer with about 8 seconds to go.

rainier2004
08-18-2015, 06:15 AM
I'll say this for Erick as I am well aware of the card he was bidding on...

That f#$%ing sucks ass big time my friend...so sorry to here that's what happened.

Mine has froze as well, I place bids w/ 12 seconds now just in case, of course that's enough time for someone else to bid again making a no win situation for me.

Hopefully the card comes up again very soon...sorry about that Erick.

yanksfan09
08-18-2015, 06:22 AM
Thanks Steve,

You know my pain on this one! I had stayed up late and monitored it all week long. I was on my home desktop computer with wired Internet and full Internet service. Manually ready to place bid so I'm pretty sure it was a glitch, slow service on ebays end.

Fingers crossed Steve although this particular copy had so much eye appeal I doubt I'll be able to afford a similar looking one for anywhere in same price range. Guess I'll have to bid earlier and get bid up higher from now on :mad:

insccollectibles
08-18-2015, 06:23 AM
I've noticed this as well. Start around 15-20 seconds and have two browsers opened like Chrome and Firefox until it is resolved

bobbyw8469
08-18-2015, 06:26 AM
No....I meant bid with a proxy. Not waiting until seconds are left. Sometimes bidding with a proxy nets you a fortune. Remember when Ebay was blocking people from bidding around 2 months ago?? I sold a $300+ rare program for $50 because NOONE COULD BID ON IT!!!! Unless you bid the "normal way" during the week, you weren't even able to log in and see items, much less bid on them!

mechanicalman
08-18-2015, 09:45 PM
CJ Walter Johnson?

Could be wrong, but can't imagine a better looking card for the grade that ended last night.

That said, your situation is what I hate about eBay. A true free market should reward the person willing to place the highest bid, not the person with the quickest trigger. As many issues as the AH's have, at least they end up going to the person willing to pay the market price. My suggestion is, bid early and bid at the highest price you're willing to pay. Every time I've tried to "get a deal" at the last minute I've lost.

egbeachley
08-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Good grief! Use a snipe service and save some time and money. The time people spend manually bidding can be used to work some overtime, add a work certification, look for a better job, etc. Then you wouldn't need to look for deals and still be ahead :-)

nolemmings
08-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Gotta agree on the snipe service. Years ago before the higher speed Internet was available I sometimes had a slow machine that would not process my bid in time or at all. This prompted me to sign up for just snipe, although others have their favorites too. I rarely use it-- only when I'm not going to make it to a computer before the auction ends, there are two or more cards I want firing off at the same time, or it is an item I just can't wait to come around again.
I have used it even when I'm home to place my manual snipe--kind of as a failsafe. You get a certain (small) number of snipes per month for free, so it's handy for me.

Sorry you missed out.

yanksfan09
08-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys,

I'm going to look into the snip services I guess. You were correct Sam...that was the card.

I really wasn't trying to get a "deal" or anything.The price ended very strong without my bids anyway,. Just didn't want to put a max bid in really early and be bid upa lot more than need be...

Oh well life goes on...

Luke
08-19-2015, 10:32 AM
I've had this happen, and I've had my snipe service fail to bid inexplicably. It's very frustrating! Sorry to hear you missed this card, OP.

yanksfan09
08-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks Luke,

Interesting....I was going to ask that earlier but it slipped my mind. Has anyone else have snipe services fail? I don't really know anything about the snipe service process...

Guess the only sure way is to big max really early and get bid up:(

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-19-2015, 11:22 AM
I just started using Gavel Snipe very recently. So far, I am one for one!

Luke
08-19-2015, 11:32 AM
I use gavelsnipe too. There was one weekend where it didn't work. A lot of stuff went really cheaply. I think it's the same time that Bobby is talking about above. Although there may have been other times where snipe services failed. Overall, I've been very happy with the service.

mechanicalman
08-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Funny. I bid on that card, too. I bid about an hour to go more than $800 over the price at the time. I lost out as well by $50, so in retrospect, I guess I don't have a foolproof method either. (By the way, seems really hard to gauge a fair market price when the card is so much better than the grade implies).

Damn that was a good looking card. Have to leave this thread so I stop thinking about it!

Good luck on future auctions. Sounds like have the same tastes so hopefully some inventory pops up soon.

shammus
08-19-2015, 02:48 PM
I don't use a snipe service but just tried putting a bid in with a full 6 seconds left and the screen just froze on me until after the auction ended. Pretty disappointed as I'd been waiting over a year for the card to pop up.

Anyone else have this issue?

Yes! This has happened to me multiple times and always results in me not getting the lot. It's even happened when I try to place a bit a minute or two out. By the time I restart the browser and log back in, it's too late.

And all this time, I just thought I had a crummy computer....

martyp
08-20-2015, 12:24 AM
I have been having eBay freeze on me when I am using a lap top and a mobile hot spot. I have to keep refreshing the page to scroll.

D. Bergin
08-20-2015, 09:22 AM
I heard a rumor that this is part of a test rollout for glitchBay. In the very near future, if you want to experience Ebay in the cleanest way possible, you will have to subscribe to the Premier Glitch Free Edition of Ebay at a cost of $99.95 a month.

What comes with this new Premier Edition you ask? Well in a word "nothing". Ebay simply agrees to NOT update things that don't need to be updated:

#They agree to NOT change policies on a whim, forcing millions of users to adapt on the fly, for what usually seems like no good reason.

#They agree to drop their "because we said so" style of customer service with all their customers.

#They agree to NOT constantly adapt new policies which create adversarial relationships between their buyers and sellers.

#They agree to NOT sell ad space to your competitors on the listing pages that YOU pay THEM for.

#They agree to the general philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fu#*ing try to fix it".

#They agree to NOT raise your fees every time some talking head on MSNBC tells the public that Ebay's stock is "Falling below expectations".

#They agree, that if they do raise your fees, they will never, ever, ever, ever, condescend to you by declaring in the following media blitz how this is not a rate hike, but should save us all lots of money. All we have to do is list 5000 auctions a week and start them all at a penny, and offer free shipping, and free returns, and free merchandise "We're doing this for you guys, not for us".

#They agree to NOT block 3rd party snipe services out of spite, and to the detriment of sellers and buyers everywhere because of some pipe dream they have of implementing their own Pay For Play snipe service that has never materialized.

#They agree to NOT pretend they are Amazon, but without any actual inventory or infrastructure of their own.

#They agree to stop trying to self-sabotage the auction portion of their business because they want to make their site look like a retail playground instead (related to the above Amazon addendum).

All in all, it's probably a pretty good deal. ;)

Off course, if you don't want to spring for the Premier Edition, "glitchBay" in all it's glory will still be available to you "free" of charge.