08-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Sean!
Congrats

atx840
08-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Awesome Sean, congrats.

Leon
08-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Good luck Sean. It seems like a natural progression for your business to go into consignments. Thanks for letting Net54baseball help get the word out too. See ya' round!!

ksabet
08-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Based on the pitch why would anyone go anywhere else?

Do you have any way of showing some of your previous results?

If I am not mistaken you are the 7,034 dealer to tell me they get the best results in the industry.

Sean1125
08-19-2015, 08:44 AM
Based on the pitch why would anyone go anywhere else?

Do you have any way of showing some of your previous results?

If I am not mistaken you are the 7,034 dealer to tell me they get the best results in the industry.

Results aren't everything. Any seller that focuses on a few of their pieces going high has just as many pieces going low. I had a 72 Football Registry break last night, I had cards go for double VCP, cards go for half of VCP, and cards sell at VCP average. Would you prefer I ignore all results below "shattering" records and lie to you and say I get a record price every time? Any seller or auction house that says this is lying to you. People buy the card not the holder and a stronger card for the grade will simply sell for more, regardless of the seller. A card that hasn't sold in 5 months and has pent of registry demand will sell for a premium. There are a wide variety of factors going into the selling price, not just the seller.

Most dealers and auction houses lose focus on what actually matters to the individual on the other side of the table, their net. On the flip side most collectors lose focus on what actually matters and would prefer an ego play (major catalog) which isn't always the best option. I recently lost a client with a large set to Heritage. They charged him 5% and he is effectively paying an auction house 30% to sell his items. Those same exact cards could be sold on e-bay for an all in commission of 8-12%. He was concerned with the catalog and his set now has to gross a full 18%-22% more for him to get the same amount of money. Buyers factor in the premium into their bids and that just doesn't happen. The gross amount of money spent is always the same regardless of if it is E-bay, an auction, or a brokered transaction. The only different issue is the fees.

There is a journey to get there. No one place is the best place for an entire collection. I have the industry locked down top to bottom from e-bay consignment to major catalog auction and can place each item in the proper location.

The best course of action is to give me a call to discuss what direction you are going with your collection and I can better advise you. Many times you should only shift a few cards around and it is not smart to liquidate an entire collection.

ksabet
08-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Results aren't everything. Any seller that focuses on a few of their pieces going high has just as many pieces going low. I had a 72 Football Registry break last night, I had cards go for double VCP, cards go for half of VCP, and cards sell at VCP average. Would you prefer I ignore all results below "shattering" records and lie to you and say I get a record price every time? Any seller or auction house that says this is lying to you. People buy the card not the holder and a stronger card for the grade will simply sell for more, regardless of the seller. A card that hasn't sold in 5 months and has pent of registry demand will sell for a premium. There are a wide variety of factors going into the selling price, not just the seller.

Most dealers and auction houses lose focus on what actually matters to the individual on the other side of the table, their net. On the flip side most collectors lose focus on what actually matters and would prefer an ego play (major catalog) which isn't always the best option. I recently lost a client with a large set to Heritage. They charged him 5% and he is effectively paying an auction house 30% to sell his items. Those same exact cards could be sold on e-bay for an all in commission of 8-12%. He was concerned with the catalog and his set has to gross a full 18%-22% more for him to get the same amount of money.

There is a journey to get there. No one place is the best place for an entire collection. I have the industry locked down top to bottom from e-bay consignment to major catalog auction and can place each item in the proper location.

The best course of action is to give me a call to discuss what direction you are going with your collection and I can better advise you. Many times you should only shift a few cards around and it is not smart to liquidate an entire collection.

Actually that was a really great response. LOL thanks for taking the time to further detail how you go about the process. Good luck to you in the endeavor and I hope that we can maybe do some business in the future.

ValKehl
08-19-2015, 09:11 AM
"The gross amount of money spent is always the same regardless of if it is E-bay, an auction, or a brokered transaction. The only different issue is the fees."

Sean, I totally disagree with this statement you just made, and I suspect most Net54ers would as well.
Val

AddieJoss
08-19-2015, 09:33 AM
"The gross amount of money spent is always the same regardless of if it is E-bay, an auction, or a brokered transaction. The only different issue is the fees."

Sean, I totally disagree with this statement you just made, and I suspect most Net54ers would as well.
Val

I also agree with Val, some auction houses have more clients that are into certain genres and/or just pay more for certain types of items. If one was to submit that the gross amount paid is the same everywhere, then the consignment sale is purely a fee battle and the lowest fee is best. This is not an overly efficient market. Many on this board are not registered with every auction house thus are not bidders for every item as well. The company used is important as well as the quality of the items and how they are presented. If I was to start an auction house or consignment company tomorrow, I know I personally wouldn't get the same results as orders because I do not have a client base or marketing system, etc.

Cory Weiser

Peter_Spaeth
08-19-2015, 09:46 AM
All ebay sellers are not created equal either. Even leaving aside all the bidding irregularities, there are people who are just going to get more on average because they have a client base, reputation, etc.

Sean1125
08-19-2015, 11:41 AM
I also agree with Val, some auction houses have more clients that are into certain genres and/or just pay more for certain types of items. If one was to submit that the gross amount paid is the same everywhere, then the consignment sale is purely a fee battle and the lowest fee is best. This is not an overly efficient market. Many on this board are not registered with every auction house thus are not bidders for every item as well. The company used is important as well as the quality of the items and how they are presented. If I was to start an auction house or consignment company tomorrow, I know I personally wouldn't get the same results as orders because I do not have a client base or marketing system, etc.

Cory Weiser

My generalization is for 40's to 80's era sets and higher value cards. Pre-war is a different beast and catalog auction is the ideal scenario nearly 100% of the time.

For example, I recently sold an Elway for $7,800~. Heritage sold an Elway for $8300. My seller received $7330~ while the Heritage seller at 0% commission received $6900~ and even at 105% the seller nets less via HA. I don't know any auction house that will give 10 points back on an $8k piece.