PDA

View Full Version : The Most Obscure Carded Baseball Player in History

frankbmd
08-17-2015, 06:41 AM
Take any set of baseball cards and it is fairly easy to find an obscure fellow or two with a lackluster career that you have never heard of.

Type card collectors will search for a card from an obscure set for their collection, even if the player is not that obscure or unique to that set.

Put both of these ingredients in a bowl and stir gently and what do you have?

A recipe for the most obscure, but carded baseball player in the history of the game.

But who is it?

Ideally the player should be issued in one set of cards only. The player should have a mediocre career. The card set in which he is included should be very difficult to find and if for any reason that player is a "short print" for any reason, all the better. Any evidence you can provide about Mr. Obscurity and his obscure baseball card to support your nomination will be helpful.

As your friendly thread host and referee, I am not going to nominate anyone (and in fact I do not even have anyone in mind). Scarcity is one thing, rarity is another, but who can claim the title for obscurity in the cards and on the diamond?

bnorth
08-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Definitely not rare or hard to find. Card #709 in the 1979 Topps set has Kevin Stanfield on it. He is the only person from the small town I live in that ever made it to the majors. He pitched 3 innings in a September call up for the Twins.

Bliggity
08-17-2015, 07:01 AM
I suppose it may be cheating to nominate a minor-league player, but the first one that came to mind for me was "Bourquise" from T209-1. I don't think anyone knows who he actually was. His name doesn't appear in any database of minor-league players, and I don't think he's appeared on any known roster, etc. The card lists his team as Rocky Mount, but he's wearing a Fulton jersey. Further, of the two Fulton-based teams from that era, neither were active in 1909 when the set was released.

To summarize from T209-contentnea.com, "The issuers of T209 managed to include - as one of only sixteen - an unknown player from a nonexistent team!"

Doesn't get much more obscure than that. Plus, it's his only card ever, and T209-1 is a borderline rare set, with only about two dozen graded cards of each player between PSA and SGC.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/bourquise-front_zps01szff9o.jpg

frankbmd
08-17-2015, 08:41 AM
I suppose it may be cheating to nominate a minor-league player, but the first one that came to mind for me was "Bourquise" from T209-1. I don't think anyone knows who he actually was. His name doesn't appear in any database of minor-league players, and I don't think he's appeared on any known roster, etc. The card lists his team as Rocky Mount, but he's wearing a Fulton jersey. Further, of the two Fulton-based teams from that era, neither were active in 1909 when the set was released.

To summarize from T206-contentnea.com, "The issuers of T209 managed to include - as one of only sixteen - an unknown player from a nonexistent team!"

Doesn't get much more obscure than that.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/bourquise-front_zps01szff9o.jpg

The Rocky Mount Railroaders in the Eastern Carolina League fielded a team in 1909 without this fellow on the roster apparently. Fulton is a little more difficult to pin down, but there is currently a team known as the Fulton Railroaders in Fulton County, Kentucky. That team has a long history, partially documented on their current website, and apparently played in the Kitty League from 1903 t0 1955 with a few interruptions for yellow fever, WW 1, the depression and WW 2. I believe the Fulton franchise in the Kitty League was in Kentucky, but the common team name of Railroaders could be more than coincidental. I find no mention of the Kitty League anywhere except for a chronology of league highlights and lowlights, and standings from 1935-1938 on the current Fulton team website. No rosters are found for the Kitty League anywhere.

So is it possible that Bourquise from the Fulton Railroaders was incorrectly identified as a member of the Rocky Mount Railroaders of the Eastern Carolina League in the Contentnea T209 set?

You all know the old adage,

"Once a Railroader, Always a Railroader.":eek:;):D:D:D

This dude is certainly nondescript and the type of athlete we are looking for.

Peter_Spaeth
08-17-2015, 08:58 AM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116422

Bliggity
08-17-2015, 08:59 AM
So is it possible that Bourguise from the Fulton Railroaders was incorrectly identified as a member of the Rocky Mount Railroaders of the Eastern Carolina League in the Contentnea T209 set?

I suppose that's possible, although I'm not sure how they'd make that mistake. Contentnea cigarettes were manufactured in Wilson NC, and the T209-1 and -2 sets only have players from NC, SC, and VA. The color series actually only has players from NC (15 subjects) and SC (1 subject), and none from VA. So although it's possible that Contentnea or the card designer knew of a Bourquise on the "Railroaders" and got the team wrong, I'm not sure why they would even come to know of a Kentucky player when their primary focus was on NC, and no KY players were represented in either T209 set. But I've never heard a better explanation, so maybe you're right!

Bliggity
08-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Or, you know, what Peter said. :D

frankbmd
08-17-2015, 09:07 AM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116422

Pure speculation. :D:D:D

That thread was before my time.

Once a Railroader, Always a Railroader.;)

Peter_Spaeth
08-17-2015, 09:10 AM
Pure speculation. :D:D:D

That thread was before my time.

Once a Railroader, Always a Railroader.;)

Stop rattling your SABR.

edhans
08-17-2015, 09:48 AM
The first thing that came to my mind was the E90-1 of Jerry Upp; 2-1 in a cameo at the end of 1909.

Bliggity
08-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Of course, there's always this guy, who would have been one of the most obscure players ever, but for his posthumous rise to fame about 80 years after he appeared only his only solo card...

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/graham_zpsce551dv6.jpg

Wayne
08-17-2015, 10:53 AM
I would say Chuck Connors
He has 3 cards back in his playing days.
1950 World Wide Gum
1952 Mothers Cookies
1952 Cubs Ben Bey

Not to mention The Rifleman he quit playing baseball and went into acting.
or
Most X-Rated baseball card ( I want this card just because of the story)
Astros pitcher Claude Raymond is responsible for the most hilarious pose in Baseball card history.
On his 1966 Topps card Raymond apprears to be looking skyward to spot a high fly. Eye the card closely and you will see he is looking the wrong way - he should be looking at his own fly

Michael Peich
08-17-2015, 11:47 AM
Great thread, Frank. And, Dan—you beat me to Bourquise!

A few clarifications come to mind regarding the slippery Mr. Bourquise. The KITTY League was founded in 1903, and the best I can determine is that Fulton first entered in 1911 as the Fulton Colonels. The team rejoined the KITTY League in 1922 at which time they took the nickname Railroaders. So, Frank, the Fulton Railroaders came into existence @ thirteen years after Rocky Mount.

Tom Hufford’s sleuthing on David Lewis Bourquin is excellent and includes information about him playing for the Danville team (Virginia League) in 1908. Interestingly, there is a Bourquin card in T209-2 that shows him playing for Wilmington of the Eastern Carolina League. However, Baseball Reference.com does not list Bourquin as a member of the Wilmington team. The plot thickens.

I have discovered, since Tim Newcomb and I wrote the T209 article, that players moved between teams/leagues on a regular basis. (I am happy to discuss player movement, but it’s a lengthy story. See my comments on Fred Stoehr at my website, http://t209-contentnea.com) It is possible that Bourquin was with Wilmington in 1910 when his photo was taken for the card, but then was released/cut from the roster. So, I agree with Tom Hufford that Bourquise could have been Bourquin. And the confusion over his name could have resulted from someone incorrectly spelling his name. Irwin-Nadal didn't employ fact-checkers to verify the players on Contentnea issued cards. But the reproduction of the Fulton jersey remains a question since Fulton didn’t begin play until 1911. Bourquise is still a mystery.

However, since Dan started the thread with a T209-1 player, let me offer this card of Aloysius James Handiboe, “Coalyard Mike,” as a candidate for Frank’s thread. Mike Handiboe broke into professional baseball (1910) as an outfielder with the minor league Goldsboro Giants. It’s not clear, according to Baseball-Reference.com, that he played minor league baseball in 1911. But, on September 8, 1911 he debuted with the New York Higlanders. Mike appeared in five games, had fifteen at-bats, and recorded one hit and two base on balls for a lusty .067 batting average. His last game as a major leaguer was September 19, 1911. That’s a true “cup-of-coffee” MLB career. Mike continued to play in the minors, mostly with Savannah, from 1912-1916, after which there are no records for him.

I propose that Mike Handiboe would fit Frank’s category as one of the “Most Obscure Carded Baseball Player(s) in History.”

Cheers, Mike

deucetwins
08-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Though the card isn't rare or scarce, I've always liked Hunky Shaw in the T206 set.

bmarlowe1
08-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Four Base Hits card of George "Prunes" Moolic (misidentified as George Van Haltren). He appeared in 16 games in 1886, BA .143.

mybuddyinc
08-17-2015, 12:40 PM
The first thing that came to my mind was the E90-1 of Jerry Upp; 2-1 in a cameo at the end of 1909.

Ya - Upp

frankbmd
08-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Far be it from me to declare winners and losers on this thread. I feel confident that we have just begun to scratch the surface of obscurity.

z28jd
08-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Tom Reilly made it into the T204 set without the ability to hit or field. Played 34 games, which is 34 too many

mybuddyinc
08-17-2015, 03:26 PM
John Joseph "Oyster Joe" Martina

Supposedly traded in 1921 from Beaumont to New Orleans for two bushels of oysters.

Major League record:

1924 Washington (World's Champs), at the age of 34:

6 - 8, 4.67 era.

That's it. I'm sure hardly a person in Washington hear of him.

Now, his minor league record is a "bit" different story:

21 Seasons: 349 - 277, 2.25 era

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=martin020joh

Fun, fun, Scott :rolleyes:

EvilKing00
08-17-2015, 06:07 PM
2014341960 nu-card eddie gaedel rookie card.

Yes in august of 1951 he had his first and only ab, but 9 years later he appeared in his rookie card. In 1961 he appeared on a similar looking card, nu-scoops, more of a traditional size card.

Sure it was only 1 at bat, but it was different. And if im not mistaken his uniform is hanging in the HOF.

Fyi this isnt my card, took it from on line, but i do have 2 like this, and a few of the 1961's

Jacklitsch
08-17-2015, 06:34 PM
From the obscure and rare 1906 Ullman postcard set the even more obscure and rare is the Henry Mathewson card pictured here.

Henry played for the Giants in 1906 and 1907 in just three games and ended his ignominious career with an 0 and 1 record.

As we all know he was the younger brother of the great Christy Mathewson.

IMAXMAX
08-17-2015, 07:09 PM
picked up this Toleteros a coupla months back....it's the only card from the set I've seen which does not include both a first and last name
::::::::just Lettish

ValKehl
08-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Scott, did you know that "Oyster Joe" Martina did get to make one appearance for the Senators in the 1924 World Series - his "Kodak moment" consisted of pitching one inning, striking out one and giving up no runs.
Val

clydepepper
08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Steve-

WOW!!! I have been looking for a Harry Mathewson for years...this is the first one I've ever seen!

ValKehl
08-17-2015, 09:58 PM
One of my collecting focuses is cards of all the players on the Washington Senators 1924 Championship team. Wade Lefler's MLB career consisted of 1 game for the Boston Braves and 5 games for the Senators, all in 1924. He had 5 hits in his total of 9 at bats, for a MLB career BA of.556. The only BB card of Lefler issued during his playing days that I am aware of was in Leon's auction, and I was so hoping to win it for roughly $1K, but it ended up going for $2K, which is more than I could bring my self to spend on it - I'll probably regret my decision down the road. Here's the link to this nice card:

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1921-tip-top-bread-baltimore-orioles-white-s-bakery-wade-lefler-sgc-20-fair-15-great-catchers-pose/a/7116-79085.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

mattsey9
08-17-2015, 10:40 PM
I am defending my Master's paper in American history on the 28th. On page one, Tom Reilly, then of the Gulfport Sand Crabs, launches a long, ninth inning home run to spearhead a come from behind win.

I've thought of seeking out a card of Reilly in the future. Now I know who to ask!

Tom Reilly made it into the T204 set without the ability to hit or field. Played 34 games, which is 34 too many

clydepepper
08-17-2015, 11:28 PM
While I love the Mathewson as a possible choice, he had some fame just by being related to Christy and following him in the family business.

Most good Baseball Fans know of Eddie Gaedel.

My choice's career straddled WWII

He hit .212 for the 1942, 1947, 1948, & 1949 Tigers
played in a total of 61 games with 137 ABs zero homers.

He never had a card produced during his career.

Obscure? Check
Mediocre Career? Check

His one and only card was produced 46 years after his last MLB game.

Gentlemen, I introduce Harvey Donald Riebe

1995 Pacific - but not part of any set.

I forget the story on why this card was produced, but I am sure it is an interesting one to hear.

rhettyeakley
08-18-2015, 09:55 AM
If we are speaking of someone being pictured as a Major Leaguer and having the lamest stats as a major league player it may be tough to beat Mr. Hosea Siner for the Boston Braves... 10 game career in 1909 got 3 hits in 23 at bats for a cool .130 Avg. not pictured on any other cards that I am aware of (even as a minor leaguer)...
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/e254siner.JPG

frankbmd
08-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Knowing my penchant for lists, perhaps a Top Ten list is in order.:eek::eek::eek:

No Frank, you know you'll end up with over 200. :D:D:D

buymycards
08-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Otie is the only major league player from my hometown of Boscobel, WI. His only card is from the 1941 Eau Claire Bears and Otie had a cup of coffee with the Red Sox in 1945.

Rick

mybuddyinc
08-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Scott, did you know that "Oyster Joe" Martina did get to make one appearance for the Senators in the 1924 World Series - his "Kodak moment" consisted of pitching one inning, striking out one and giving up no runs.
Val

I think Martina was just one of those guys who liked to be the big fish in small pond. Also probably made comparable money, while being a home town "Gulf Coast" guy.

BTW............ ain't age a terrible thing :(

mattsey9
08-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Meet Blaine "Kid" Durbin, whose three year MLB career saw him feature in 32 games. He started off as a pitcher, but his arm betrayed him and he turned to the outfield. He was nothing special as an individual player, but what a good luck charm this guy was!

1907 - Durbin plays for the WS champion Cubs
1908 - Durbin plays for the WS champion Cubs
1909 - Durbin plays for the WS champion Pirates

Last man off the bench, but three for three with rings. Someone should sign his great grandchildren for good luck!

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/mattsey9/1908%20Cubs/1908-BlaineDurbin.jpg

z28jd
08-18-2015, 11:40 PM
I am defending my Master's paper in American history on the 28th. On page one, Tom Reilly, then of the Gulfport Sand Crabs, launches a long, ninth inning home run to spearhead a come from behind win.

I've thought of seeking out a card of Reilly in the future. Now I know who to ask!

I'm the wrong person to ask, I've owned those cards for a long time. Not sure when I bought the last one, but got the first one in 1993 and I think I had them all by 2001, maybe 2002. For some reason I felt six was good enough and stopped there. Even that scan is at least ten years old

irishdenny
08-19-2015, 12:03 AM
From the obscure and rare 1906 Ullman postcard set the even more obscure and rare is the Henry Mathewson card pictured here.

Henry played for the Giants in 1906 and 1907 in just three games and ended his ignominious career with an 0 and 1 record.

As we all know he was the younger brother of the great Christy Mathewson.

It's Funny...

As SooN aS Saw Mr. Frank's Thread...
I Thought of Steve's "Harry Matthewson's" ULLMAN PC!

Not Only was Harry's(His real name was Henry) Career Short One... They Couldn't get his 1st name RiGHT, or Spell his last name Correctly...

Awesome Card Steve!!!

philliesphan
08-19-2015, 04:57 AM
If we include minor league players, my understanding is that there's still a good dozen+ folks who appear on Zeenut cards for whom proper identification to this day is lacking. I imagine Rhett, Mark and a few others would be subject matter experts in this arena.

Here's someone who made it to the majors, but really ought never to have:

Marvin Harold "Red" Smith

Red's cup of coffee came with the Philadelphia A's in 1925, as a 25-year old. He played primarily at shortstop, though he put in two games at third in his very short tenure. A defensive replacement -- he played in twenty games in total, but only managed sixteen plate appearances. He had a grand total of four singles, scoring one time and also a single RBI to his name. He walked twice and struck out five times. Thus ended Red's MLB career.

Of course, Red only played fifty games in the PCL, in this single season with the Oakland Oaks, as pictured on this Zeenut card. In those fifty games, he hit less than .200, and was in the B league in Evansville by 1924. It certainly makes it curious as to how and why he got to MLB if he couldn't cut it in PCL and was relegated to a B league before making the jump to the Bigs? He did come back to the Portland Beavers in 1926 -- although I can't easily find stats to support what he did with them there.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mikeschmidt/phillies/websize/1923MarvinHaroldRedSmith.jpg

Spike
08-22-2015, 10:56 PM
(I first posted here on E.T. Cox, but added a scan and expanded on his "Dick Cox" naming issue in a later post in this same thread. Skip ahead a few messages for that one.)

timn1
08-22-2015, 11:33 PM
Irv never even played in a single major league game, yet somehow made it into the T207 set to give its collectors fits and nightmares-

frohme
08-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Tim!

So many of the others shown here are clearly appropriate for the thread ... but I was wondering when Mr Lewis would make an appearance ... then I guess he never did, did he ;) ;). Not the most obscure of cards, but from a playing perspective, he's got to be at or near the top (or bottom).

Wonderful example of a pain in many collector's side(s).

--
Mike

PolarBear
10-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Cool thread!

Maybe a Karl Spongberg card will turn up someday.

JollyElm
10-26-2015, 06:35 PM
If we're including post-war, it's gotta be this guy…

Collectorsince62
10-26-2015, 09:43 PM
1954 Bowman Memo Luna. Started and played in one game. Faced six batters and quickly vanished into obscurity. Two walks, two doubles, two fly outs (one was a sac fly) and a career ERA of 27.00.

Ironically he lost that game to Joe Nuxhall, who had a similarly disastrous debut, exiting his first big league game at the age of fifteen with an ERA of 67.50.

RaidonCollects
10-27-2015, 03:10 AM
1954 Bowman Memo Luna. Started and played in one game. Faced six batters and quickly vanished into obscurity. Two walks, two doubles, two fly outs (one was a sac fly) and a career ERA of 27.00.

Ironically he lost that game to Joe Nuxhall, who had a similarly disastrous debut, exiting his first big league game at the age of fifteen with an ERA of 67.50.

He actually had a 1952 Mother's Cookies card too.

~Owen

Spike
10-29-2015, 04:33 AM
Ernest Thompson Cox appeared in one game and pitched one inning for the 1922 Chicago White Sox, a team that shuttled 18 pitchers through their roster during the season. But thanks to his appearance in a big league uniform near a photographer, he made it into the E126 American Caramel set 5 years later. As far as we know, his pro career ended with that inning, Ernie having last played in the minors some years earlier.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/coxer01.shtml

Furthermore, thanks to his name similarity to Elmer Joseph "Dick" Cox, this E126 card appears on Beckett.com checklists as Dick Cox, despite Dick only ever playing for the Dodgers.

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/1927/american-caramel-e126/5-dick-cox-3542695

Two obscurities, one card. I wrote a little more about it for the #5 blog.

http://www.number5typecollection.com/2009/11/1927-american-caramel-e126-5-et-cox.html

btcarfagno
10-29-2015, 07:10 AM
Dick Cox?

Egad.

Tom C

MikeGarcia
10-29-2015, 08:06 AM
Dick Cox?

Egad.

Tom C

... they said that he threw a lot of junk...