PDA

View Full Version : Memory lane Auction question

AddieJoss
08-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Early into the auction I bid on a 52 topps Mantle in SGC 30 with a max bid. I was then outbid and then this past week, I rebid, and then was outbid again and let the card go. Then this morning I received an invoice that I had won the card. I never received a bid retraction email at any point. I am now wondering how this could happen and about the validity of the other bids on this lot.
Is there anyway to get proof of what happened and if it was isolated?
Cory Weiser

08-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Did you see an outbid notice immediately after re-bidding?

e107collector
08-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Cory,

That seems strange. Do you still have the emails that indicate you were outbid after your final bid was placed?

Tony

AddieJoss
08-16-2015, 10:44 AM
I do not have the bids showing I was outbid (no reason to keep). I was not immediately outbid. It was a day or two later on. I even looked at all my bids and I was no longer high bidder on that item. I'm 100% positive on this. I told my we before I bid on it and she looked at the card and everything. Then when I got e email stating I was outbid, I told her and she asked if I would bid again and I told her no.

pokerplyr80
08-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Maybe you can still recover the outbid notification email. If you just deleted it but didn't empty your trash folder it could be there.

It also couldn't hurt to call Memory Lane directly and ask them what happened. Maybe there's a reasonable explanation.

I watched that auction and it's a great looking card for the grade. Congrats if it ends up working out.

travrosty
08-16-2015, 10:51 AM
why not just call the company????

AddieJoss
08-16-2015, 10:56 AM
I tried calling but no answer on Sunday. Curious if anyone else had an explanation or similar experience. I'm def calling tommorrow.

pawpawdiv9
08-16-2015, 11:01 AM
I had also looked at this card and the 51 Bowman of the Mick. The '4' was better on the 51B. The 311 was a very nice card indeed.

AddieJoss
08-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Memory lane saw the posting on here and called me just now. They are having their IT guy research it and will get back to me on Tuesday. I will give an update once the research is done.
Cory

AddieJoss
08-16-2015, 05:58 PM
JP, the owner of Memory Lane, called me today, on Sunday, to explain what happened. It turns out that a new bidder, registered and placed only one bid in the auction. That bid was on the 52 Topps Mantle SGC 30. After becoming the high bidder on his in lot, said bidder called Memory Lane to retract thier bid siting being unfamiliar with their terms. Memory Lane honored this bid retraction shortly before the auction ended as he was a new bidder. There was then a malfunction on the IT side that I did not ever receive a bid retraction notification but I was changed to the new high bidder. JP has given me the option of bailing on this lot of if I would like to (uncertain but will likely still complete the transaction).
Cory Weiser

Econteachert205
08-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Fwiw it's nice deal on that mantle in my opinion. Glad you got the answers you were looking for.

Peter_Spaeth
08-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Why would you bail, you got it for what you were willing to pay. Unless you spent the money elsewhere already.

Steve D
08-16-2015, 06:37 PM
To paraphrase a line in The Godfather, Leave the cash, take the Mickey!

That is a very nice SGC 30.

Steve

pokerplyr80
08-16-2015, 06:38 PM
For what it's worth, my opinion is that your bid is a very fair price for that card. Tough to find a 2 centered like that. I would have bought it at that price if I didn't just get an SGC 2.5 last week.

AddieJoss
08-16-2015, 06:44 PM
JP seemed very professional when talking with him. So long as the "new bidder" is not the current underbidder, which I do not believe he is, I will complete the transaction. And yes, the centering on a lower grade 52 Topps Mantle is tough to find which is why I like it.

On a positive note, the total shipping cost is only $10 for 2 cards. I won one much lower cost card from Heritage and it was $26 shipping (after the wrong invoice).
Thanks,
Cory