PDA

View Full Version : Interesting backstory on a classic Detroit Tigers postcard w/ Cobb & Crawford

T206Jim
08-16-2015, 07:19 AM
I recently uncovered the backstory on one of my favorite postcards. This colorized postcard of the Tigers on opening day has usually been dated to circa 1908, notice the SGC designation on my copy and in the description for several copies of this postcard sold by major AHs.

I can now definitively state the postcard depicts the flag raising on Opening Day 1912 for Navin Field (later became Tiger Stadium). Below is the actual photo used for the postcard from The Detroit News archives with the caption explaining exactly what is depicted. You can see Cobb just to the left of the man in black and Crawford just to the left of the flagpole.

The caption states "Play ball! April 20, 1912 The Tigers watch as the American Flag is raised for the first time during Navin Field opening festivities. An overflow crowd of 24,384 watched the Tigers rally past Cleveland 6-5 in 11 innings. Ty Cobb was his usual aggressive self with a steal of home after his first at bat. Much of the attention in the newspaper the next day was diverted by one of the world's most famous disasters......The sinking of the TITANIC."

Navin Field opened on the same day as Fenway Park. The massive flagpole depicted was actually in the field of play and was the tallest obstacle ever on a major league field. Note how the artist filled the stands with spectators and put leaves on the trees and that the photo was snapped a split second before or after the postcard image as reflected by the fact the flag has moved slightly, the players such as Crawford have shifted and the man in black has his arm a little lower. A truly momentous day, Tiger Stadium and Fenway Park opening and the Titantic tragedy! To me, all this makes this postcard much more interesting than a circa 1908 date.

calvindog
08-16-2015, 07:24 AM
Great story and great work. Are you going to send the card back for a corrected flip?

T206Jim
08-16-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure if I'll send it in for a new flip, I was primarily satisfying my own curiosity about the image depicted. I'll have to think on it, would it be worth the trouble?

prestigecollectibles
08-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Historic 1912 Opening Day of Navin Field Large Glass Negatives (4) Legendary May 2010 Auction

http://legendaryauctions.com/historic-1912-opening-day-of-navin-field-large-glass-negatives-(4)-lot106519.aspx

calvindog
08-16-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure if I'll send it in for a new flip, I was primarily satisfying my own curiosity about the image depicted. I'll have to think on it, would it be worth the trouble?

I think so, maybe the next time your send in a submission or go to a show where they're stabbing cards. You might as well have the right date on it.

Exhibitman
08-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I think so, maybe the next time your send in a submission or go to a show where they're stabbing cards.

I think that went out of fashion at the end of the Mlddle Ages.

calvindog
08-16-2015, 03:05 PM
i think that went out of fashion at the end of the mlddle ages.

lol.

ErikV
08-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Jim,

It's one thing to collect vintage baseball cards, autographs, memorabilia and
the like. It's completely something else to research/find/discover old baseball
stories relating to collecting. I for one love these hidden treasures that continue
to be uncovered after all these years. Just think, this postcard's story lay
dormant for over 100 years before someone did the footwork and shared it
with fellow collectors. I for one absolutely love discovering these gems
probably as much or more than card collecting! Good job, buddy. Keep up the
great detective work!

ErikV

CW
08-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Great research and a cool find!

T206Jim
08-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the kind words and the link to the original file photo. I agree that the stories behind the cardboard and cellulose are as interesting if not more so than the collectibles themselves.

Bridwell
08-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Great job, Jim! And thank you Robert for the link to the negatives. I was born in Detroit and saw some games in that great stadium in the 1970's-80's. The flagpole in center field remained, and was an interesting obstacle that led to triples and sometimes an inside the park homer. I remember listening on the radio as Kurt Gibson hit a blast to that pole, 440 ft in center field in 1984 and rumbled all the way around the bases. Whitaker was on first and hesitated for a moment as the ball went over the centerfielder's head. By the time Gibby rounded 3rd base he was right behind Whitaker headed for home. The long throw to the plate was a bang bang play. Whitaker was out but Gibson was safe! Gibby even plowed over the home plate umpire, knocking him out for a few moments. What a play that was!

Zach Wheat
08-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Jim,

Great job. Interesting story

WillowGrove
08-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Really interesting Jim. Good job of research. Love it.

Michael Peich
08-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Jim--Great sleuthing! And what an interesting group of events. Thanks for your research.

Cheers, Mike

TCMA
12-31-2015, 07:42 PM
I recently uncovered the backstory on one of my favorite postcards.

I just found one of these among my father's collection about an hour ago and started browsing around for more information. Thanks SO much for your post. Fantastic insight into this card :cool: . Here's ours:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1593/23800023850_efd3e32c25_c.jpg

mechanicalman
12-31-2015, 08:45 PM
What an incredible post. I grew up a Tigers fan and attended my first games with my dad there. So many positive memories. As a baseball fan and card collector, this find is awesome. As a Tigers fan who remembers that pole, it's even better.

brianp-beme
12-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks for posting this postcard and its story. It reminds me of this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184835&highlight=gorge

I love how the backstory (in the case of the Royal Gorge postcard, developed over numerous posts) multiplies the interest in the captured image. Great job and research. I missed the original posting, because I am still almost exclusively a ball card collector, and tend to bypass the postcard postings, but can easily see why folks collect them. I would also like to thank the thread reviver.

Brian

T206Jim
01-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the notes guys, this has been a truly under-appreciated postcard; although, I recently saw a copy go for more than $500 so perhaps it is now getting the respect it deserves.

The Royal Gorge thread is a fascinating read, it inspired me to acquire that postcard. In fact, I have an extra copy of the over-sized version of it to trade for other postcards or Chief Bender items if anyone is interested.

jcmtiger
01-01-2016, 09:17 AM
As most can see, 2 different snapshots one earlier than the other.

Joe

Leon
01-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Very cool!! Many postcards are still under appreciated.

I just found one of these among my father's collection about an hour ago and started browsing around for more information. Thanks SO much for your post. Fantastic insight into this card :cool: . Here's ours:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1593/23800023850_efd3e32c25_c.jpg

egbeachley
01-02-2016, 10:18 PM
Nice detective work. But I would disagree with the photo being snapped a split-second later. Probably more than 4 seconds later as the photographer (assuming there is just one) moved several feet over towards the right. You can tell by the players near the pole. The ones in sweaters haven't moved their feet but the pole is between 2 different players.