PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an M101-4 Gimbels Checklist?

Jobu
08-15-2015, 09:16 PM
I poked around online for a little bit and didn't find a checklist for this set. I am a Milwaukee native and would like to know which cards are known to exist. It would be fantastic if the list were broken down by the different back variations as well.

Two more questions:

1) Are Gimbels cards found only in M101-4?

2) Are there any other pre-war cards that are thought to have been issued only in Milwaukee (or Wisconsin)?

Thanks in advance.

nolemmings
08-16-2015, 08:11 PM
ADAMS, BABE
AGNEW, SAM
AINSMITH, EDDIE
ALEXANDER, GROVER
AMES, LEON
ARCHER, JIMMY
AUSTIN, JIMMY
BAKER, J. FRANKLIN
BANCROFT, DAVE
BARRY, JACK
BECK, ZINN
BOONE, LUTE
BENZ, JOE
BESCHER, BOB
BETZEL, AL
BRESNAHAN, ROGER
BURNS, EDDIE
BURNS, GEO. J
BUSH, JOE
BUSH, OWEN
BUSH, JOE
BUSH, "DONIE"
BUTLER, ART
BYRNE, BOBBY
CADY, FORREST
CALDWELL, RAY
CALLAHAN, JIMMY
CAREY, MAX
CHALMERS, GEORGE
CHAPMAN, RAY
CHENEY, LARRY
CICOTTE, EDDIE
CLARKE, TOM
COBB, TY
COLLINS, "SHAUNO"
COLLINS, EDDIE
COMISKEY, CHARLES
CONNOLLY, JOE
COVELESKIE, HARRY
CRAVATH, GAVVY
CRAWFORD, SAM
DALE, JEAN
DAUBERT, JAKE
DEAL, CHARLES
DEMAREE, AL
DEVORE, JOSH
DOAK, WILLIAM
DONOVAN, BILL
DOOIN, CHARLES
DOOLAN, MIKE
DOYLE, LARRY
DUBUC, JEAN
DUGEY, OSCAR
EVERS, JOHNNY
FABER, URBAN
FELSCH, "HAP"
FISCHER, BILL
FISHER, RAY
FLACK, MAX
FLETCHER, ART
FOSTER, EDDIE
FOURNIER, JACQUES
GAINER, DEL
GANDIL "CHIC"
GARDNER, LARRY
GEDEON, JOE
GETZ, GUS
GIBSON, GEO.
GOOD, WILBUR
GOWDY, HANK
GRANEY, JOHN
GRIFFITH, CLARK
GRIFFITH, TOM
GROH, HEINIE
HAMILTON, EARL
HARMON, BOB
HARTZELL, ROY
HENDRIX, CLAUDE
HENRIKSEN, OLAF
HENRY, JOHN
HERZOG, "BUCK"
HIGH, HUGH
HOBLITZELL, DICK
HOOPER, HARRY
HOWARD, IVAN
HUGGINS, MILLER
JACKSON, JOE
JAMES, WILLIAM
JANVRIN, HAROLD
JENNINGS, HUGH
JOHNSON, WALTER
JONES, FIELDER
JUDGE, JOE
KAUFF, BENNY
KILLEFER, WM. JR.
KONETCHY, ED.
LAJOIE, NAP
LAPP, JACK
LAVAN, JOHN
LAVENDER, JIMMY
LEIBOLD, "NEMO"
LEONARD, H. B.
LEWIS, DUFFY
LOBERT, HANS
LONG, TOM
LUDERUS, FRED
MACK, CONNIE
MAGEE, LEE
MAGEE, SHERWOOD
MAMAUX, AL.
MANN, LESLIE
MARANVILLE, "RABBIT"
MARQUARD, RUBE
MAYER, J. ERSKINE
MCBRIDE, GEORGE
MCGRAW, JOHN J.
MCINNIS, JACK
MERKLE, FRED
MEYERS, CHIEF
MILAN, CLYDE
MILLER, JOHN
MILLER, OTTO
MITCHELL, WILLIE
MOLLWITZ, FRED
MORAN, PAT
MORGAN, RAY
MORIARTY, GEO.
MORTON, GUY
MOWREY, MIKE
MURPHY, ED.
MYERS, "HY"
NIEHOFF, J.A.
OLDRING, RUBE
O'MARA, OLIVER
O'NEILL, STEVE
PASKERT, "DODE"
PECKINPAUGH, ROGER
PIPP, WALTER
PRATT, DERRIL
RAGAN, PAT
RARIDEN, BILL
RIXEY, EPPA
ROBERTSON, DAVEY
ROBINSON, WILBERT
ROTH, BOB
ROUSCH, ED.
ROWLAND, CLARENCE
RUCKER, "NAP"
RUDOLPH, DICK
RUSSELL, REB
RUTH, BABE
SAIER, VIC
SALLEE, "SLIM"
SCHALK, RAY
SCHANG, WALTER
SCHULTE, FRANK
SCOTT, EVERETT
SCOTT, JIM
SEATON, TOM
SHANKS, HOWARD
SHAWKEY, BOB
SHORE, ERNIE
SHOTTON, BURT
SISLER, GEORGE
SMITH, J. CARLISLE
SNODGRASS, FRED
STALLINGS, GEO.
STANAGE, OSCAR
STANAGE, OSCAR
STENGEL, CHARLES
STOCK, MILTON
STRUNK, AMOS
SULLIVAN, BILLY
TESREAU, "JEFF"
TINKER, JOE
TONEY, FRED
TURNER, TERRY
TYLER, GEORGE
VAUGHN, JIM
VEACH, BOB
VIOX, JAMES
VITT, OSCAR
WAGNER, HANS
WALKER, CLARENCE
WALSH, ED.
WAMBGANSS, W.
WEAVER, BUCK
WEILMAN, CARL
WHEAT, ZACH
WHITTED, GEO.
WILLIAMS, FRED
WILSON, ART
WILSON, J. OWEN
WINGO, IVY
WOLFGANG, "MEL"
WOOD, JOE
YERKES, STEVE
YOUNG, "PEP"
ZEIDER, ROLLIE
ZIMMERMAN, HEINY
ZWILLING, ED

Note the first twenty cards are from m101-5, which means you'll get dual Joe and Owen/Donie Bushes. Also, I have not seen a #168 Stanage card, but believe that when it appears it will be the short-printed portrait to waist pose, and only that pose (so maybe disregard the reference to two Stanage cards). I am unaware of Gimbels producing other cards; also, I do not know of any other Wisconsin-based card sets from the pre-war era, although there was a Milwaukee Brewer in the '33 Goudey set (O'Rourke) and at least four Milwaukee players in the e254 Colgan and related sets. Maybe others can help you there.

Jobu
08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks Todd, this is greatly appreciated. I am not a set collector but I wanted this list because I would like to start hunting for a few examples and wanted to narrow down the players I would like to target (or try to target anyway, I know this is a tough one).

I am brand new to M104 so forgive the basic questions. I know there are three variants of the Gimbels back - do all of these subjects appear with each back or does only a subset occur with each back?

Thanks also for pointing out the other Milwaukee players. There are a few in T206 as well (Randall was actually my 1st T206 as a kid - I don't especially like the pose but I am stuck keeping it forever as it was my first!). I am more interested in any sets that were actually issued only here, like the Gimbels cards, but had never heard of another.

nolemmings
08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Bryan,

I guess I missed that part of your question. The low numbers 1-20 will be found with the block lettering, and the rest with the slanted or italicized font. I have not seen any exceptions to that pattern and doubt there are any-- at most a later printing might surface that would have them all italicized, but I have not seen any and I've been looking a long time.

Now whether a low number can be found with both a small and large block back is an open question because block backs of either kind are scarce. Most trying to complete a m101 back run still have the Gimbels blocks on their want lists. Leon's Heritage auction just sold three for over $500 each, and two of those were graded "A", although beautiful (the lot also included a common high number as a throw-in to complete the trio of backs). I have confirmed fewer than a dozen block backs in total, with no player being duplicated. So hopefully the players you are targeting are numbered higher than 20, but if not, I'd be thrilled to have whatever block back I could find and not worry if the other version was out there too (of course we both know that's not how it works--once you find out about the other back you simply must have it:D)

Good luck on your quest.

Jobu
08-17-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks again, I really appreciate this. Now I will have to go through the M101 images, pick out a few favorites, and then get out my hunting gear.

Kenny Cole
08-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Todd,

Thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge regarding these issues. I only have a few and IMO that is one of my biggest knowledge gaps. I get that it can be frustrating to see thread after T206 thread (I'm a Cuban collector so I may get a few more posts, but probably not many more), but it is always refreshing to see an expert opine on less commonly discussed issues. Best,

Kenny

nolemmings
08-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the kind words. One clarification about pricing and then I'll let this one go unless there are more questions. I mentioned that Heritage just auctioned off three of Leon's block-letter Gimbels for over $500 each; more accurately, the lot (with the low-grade common italicized example for completeness) went for over $1500.00. Since two of these were graded authentic, it's likely the one that received the numeric grade significantly drove the auction--perhaps by 2/3 or more of the lot price. We may never know, but I didn't want to leave any mis-impressions that all block-lettered Gimbels are valued about the same.
Finally, please indulge me to show one of mine- a small block HOFer:
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/mym101s/backsgimbels/large/16m1015bresnahan_GM.jpg