PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT- You never know what kind of collection your neighbor has.

timber63401
08-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Was hitting yard sales with the wife today and was at this older couples sale (mid 80s) less then 2 miles from my house. While the wifey was talking to her about cake pans me and the man got to talking about baseball which got to talking about cards. After a little bit he said he had some older ones that I probably have never seen before. He goes into the house and after about 10 minutes comes out with 2 Tupperware containers and ends up pulling out about 2000 T206 and 200 T205 cards wrapped in ziplock bags. He said about 2400 total by his count. He wasn't too keen in showing them off too much but I did see 2 green back Cobbs and 1 red back Cobb. He said by his count he had 7 different backs. He said his dad gave most of them to him when he was young and he picked up the rest from a guy he worked with in the early 70s. It was neat just to talk to the guy much less get a glimpse of such a original collection.

HOF Auto Rookies
08-15-2015, 07:11 PM
My ex-neighbor had a collection just under the HOF's. Used Gehrig jersey/bat, Ruth and Cobb used bats. It was unreal. All of these out on display in their basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vintagesportscollector
08-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Did you get the sense if the old guy had an idea of the value he was holding in that Tupperware? Did he basically know he could be holding a big chunk of a retirement fund in ziplock bags?

frankbmd
08-15-2015, 07:58 PM
My neighbor is a troll.

EvilKing00
08-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Thats awesome! Wonder if hes got a wagner in that zip lock bag!

vintagesportscollector
08-15-2015, 08:04 PM
My neighbor is a troll.

In Norse mythology trolls were known for hoarding treasure.

pariah1107
08-15-2015, 08:10 PM
A neighbor gave me a tour of the rodeo grounds on his property where he holds some high stakes local roping events. In his barn is this HUGE weathered four-panel 16 feet X 8 feet (estimate) portrait of Michael Jordan in a Bulls "23" uniform without the Bulls logo.

He asked if I noticed anything strange about it. It looks like a common early image of Jordan, but emblazoned behind him is a 12 foot Wilson Athletics logo. NO NIKE, NO WAY! The story is... it was outside the Kingdome to advertise a local Sports Equipment retailer. The sign caused quite the uproar, the artist was fired, and the piece was salvaged by this person..... funny. Certainly not 2000+ t206's, but a unique piece in a strange place with a bizarre story.

timber63401
08-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Did you get the sense if the old guy had an idea of the value he was holding in that Tupperware? Did he basically know he could be holding a big chunk of a retirement fund in ziplock bags?

Conversation never got much into value but he seemed to know he had several thousand dollars worth but seemed oblivious to what might be a super rare back or scraps or oddities ect. Mentioned he had a daughter that died a few years ago and a son that was retiring next year that would get the cards when he died. He seemed confident his son would cherish them and keep them but seemed way less confident what his grandkids would do with them when his son died.

Joshchisox08
08-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Was hitting yard sales with the wife today and was at this older couples sale (mid 80s) less then 2 miles from my house. While the wifey was talking to her about cake pans me and the man got to talking about baseball which got to talking about cards. After a little bit he said he had some older ones that I probably have never seen before. He goes into the house and after about 10 minutes comes out with 2 Tupperware containers and ends up pulling out about 2000 T206 and 200 T205 cards wrapped in ziplock bags. He said about 2400 total by his count. He wasn't too keen in showing them off too much but I did see 2 green back Cobbs and 1 red back Cobb. He said by his count he had 7 different backs. He said his dad gave most of them to him when he was young and he picked up the rest from a guy he worked with in the early 70s. It was neat just to talk to the guy much less get a glimpse of such a original collection.

This is the type of shit I dream of.

timber63401
08-15-2015, 08:28 PM
This is the type of shit I dream of.

Better dream if there were sitting on a table with a price on them lol. Was super cool just to see some of them and got me thinking there is still undiscovered collection out there.

egbeachley
08-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Helps confirm my belief that more than 1/2 of T-cards are still "undiscovered".

7nohitter
08-16-2015, 07:44 AM
I wish this was the case for me. My neighbor is 95 and I've talked to him many times about baseball and cards...never once has the old prick offered up a hoard of T cards. Don't know what the old bastard did back in the '30's and '40's, but he certainly wasn't smart enough to collect cards.

Joshwesley
08-16-2015, 07:58 AM
I wish this was the case for me. My neighbor is 95 and I've talked to him many times about baseball and cards...never once has the old prick offered up a hoard of T cards. Don't know what the old bastard did back in the '30's and '40's, but he certainly wasn't smart enough to collect cards.

Goodness lol

Orioles1954
08-16-2015, 08:54 AM
T206 are like the 1987 Topps of the pre-war world. They are EVERYWHERE. Far be it from me to tell the old fellow what to do with his collection, but I would sell sell sell and go see the world.

iwantitiwinit
08-16-2015, 09:56 AM
T206 are like the 1987 Topps of the pre-war world. They are EVERYWHERE. Far be it from me to tell the old fellow what to do with his collection, but I would sell sell sell and go see the world.

100 years from now 1987 Topps will still be worthless. If you disagree I have several vending cases I can offer at very attractive prices.

familytoad
08-16-2015, 10:10 AM
My collection is so unorganized right now that if I bought the house next door too..and moved in, I wouldn't know what my neighbor has for a collection:eek::p

Good thing I posted some scans on my SGC sets, as my external HDD died a while back too, so 3/4 of my scans are gone.

pawpawdiv9
08-16-2015, 11:16 AM
My grandpa is around 90-ish and he smoked tobacco cigars. He lives up in Ny. Boy i wish he collected baseball cards. Never really know,he might of and forgot. All i know he collected stamp, coins and stones and trains as well as swords and some guns. His house is a old rustic one and has many numerous hidden spots and secret holes in walls. I always enjoy the stories when he served in Pearl Harbor.

mybuddyinc
08-16-2015, 11:33 AM
My grandpa is around 90-ish and he smoked tobacco cigars. He lives up in Ny. Boy i wish he collected baseball cards. Never really know,he might of and forgot. All i know he collected stamp, coins and stones and trains as well as swords and some guns. His house is a old rustic one and has many numerous hidden spots and secret holes in walls. I always enjoy the stories when he served in Pearl Harbor.

Always wanted to lament on this topic, and here's my chance. My maternal grandfather (1896-1972) was from a wealthy (until Oct. 29, 1929) Philadelphia family, i.e able to afford better than Piedmont and Sweet Cap. So in the 1909-1911 years he was at the age of both smoking and candy buying. He died when I was 12, and I never had interest or talked to him about cards. But, it just blows my mind to think of the cards that passed through his hands.

Bored5000
08-16-2015, 06:13 PM

Saved the world? Just joking. That post made me laugh. :D

insidethewrapper
08-16-2015, 07:19 PM
My dad is age 93 ( born 1922), he collected the 1933 Goudey's and remembers trying to complete the set, but couldn't get the # 106. When he returned from WWII all his cards had been thrown out. He told me, he never knew tobacco cards existed when he was growing up in the 1930's . Just like me in the 1950's, all I knew was TOPPS, I never would have heard of Goudey's as a kid in the '50's.

conor912
08-17-2015, 08:17 AM
He told me, he never knew tobacco cards existed when he was growing up in the 1930's . Just like me in the 1950's, all I knew was TOPPS, I never would have heard of Goudey's as a kid in the '50's.

This is interesting. I wonder if the vast majority of adults in this era who collected as kids never thought enough of their collecting days to share their memories with their children?

1952boyntoncollector
08-17-2015, 10:06 AM
1987 topps will clarks I sold a bunch of in 1988 to card shops...like 4 bucks a piece...made a fortune

1880nonsports
08-17-2015, 12:22 PM
your neighbor has some of your stolen collection. True story dat.............

mark evans
08-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Most of my neighbors are nerds, like most of us, so I suspect some may have cards.

Cerberus
08-18-2015, 11:31 PM
......What's your neighbor's address? ;)

Joshchisox08
08-19-2015, 06:01 AM
100 years from now 1987 topps will still be worthless. If you disagree i have several vending cases i can offer at very attractive prices.

Not unless they are Will Clark :D

Joshchisox08
08-19-2015, 06:06 AM
......What's your neighbor's address? ;)

Yeah what is your neighbors address ??? Spill the beans ............. ;)

imacgreg
08-21-2015, 09:28 AM
I bought some old tickets off of eBay and knew from the listing that the seller was in the same city as me. Turns out he lives about ten houses down on the same street, so he dropped them off while walking his dog. He wasn't a collector, though, they just happened to pass down through his family.

Brian Weisner
08-22-2015, 08:36 AM
I know of two "original owner" collections that have never been reported. Both collections contain over 1000 T206's and T205's and one also has over 400 E cards.... All of the cards are EX or better. There are still many collections to find, just less than 25 years ago...

Be well Brian

egri
08-22-2015, 11:29 AM
My next door neighbor turned 96 last month. He never collected cards, but he has a postcard signed by Dizzy Dean and some of the other members of the Gashouse Gang. His son collected cards in the 1960s and at one point had several Mickey Mantles, but when he went off to college...

KCRfan1
08-22-2015, 08:41 PM

Probably did a little gambling, a little drinking, and chasing tail.