PDA

View Full Version : The Johnny Kling Spotted Monkey Ear

Jeff_cvc
08-15-2015, 03:47 PM
I know there have been threads in the past on all the T206 crazy errors, misprints, scratches, etc... Just today, my nine year old son has found the Johnny Kling Spotted Monkey Ear Error. Not sure if this is documented, so I apologize if I'm repeating. Anyhow, as my son Sam and I were looking through some of our t206 collection, Sam asked, "what's this spot on this guy's monkey ear." I can't confirm that Mr. Kling actually has a monkey ear, but I was intrigued as the spot was not paper loss, but instead looked like a drop of ink. I looked at the Kling's currently on EBay for sale and sure enough there was one Kling card with a spot on his "monkey" ear. Both cards are Piedmont 150, with corresponding Monkey Ear Spots. Please see scan below to confirm the Spotted Monkey Ear Error. My card is currently up for sale for $10,000.

Jeff_cvc
08-15-2015, 03:49 PM

ethicsprof
08-15-2015, 05:31 PM
it looks to me that what you have here may well be an example of the darwinian tubercle. It is especially interesting to see that 'spot' anomaly involves both the scaphoid fossa and the triangular fossa.
I'll have to defer to Dr. Frank B.'s expertise on the diagnosis.
Perhaps more importantly, it's great to hear that the li'l fellow has such a love
for the vintage cards already.

all the best,
barry

joeadcock
08-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Hey Barry

How's it going. Going back to my old med school days, that is the "whole in the auricle" anomaly. I believe via a punch tool.....
$10,000 sounds very reasonable.

Jeff_cvc
08-16-2015, 12:00 AM
it looks to me that what you have here may well be an example of the darwinian tubercle. It is especially interesting to see that 'spot' anomaly involves both the scaphoid fossa and the triangular fossa.
I'll have to defer to Dr. Frank B.'s expertise on the diagnosis.
Perhaps more importantly, it's great to hear that the li'l fellow has such a love
for the vintage cards already.

all the best,
barry

Barry, my knowledge of the ear stops at the word ear. I will take your diagnosis as if it were the word of God himself, of course unless Dr. Frank says otherwise. In that case, I will completely ignore your diagnosis. None the less, thank you for using "Darwinian tubercle" "scaphoid fossa" and "triangular fossa" in a baseball thread. Simply fantastic.

Yes, this father of a nine year old and eleven year old is tickled that both of his sons are interested in dad's cardboard and that both boys have their own budding collections. I am truly blessed.

Joe, maybe we can work something out for 10 large, but I have a feeling some other people may want to up the ante...

frankbmd
08-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Chondrodermatits Nodularis Chronica Helicus on the Antihelix bridging the scaphoid and triangular fossae.;)

At $5/letter, you probably cannot afford the diagnosis, let alone the treatment.:D

ethicsprof
08-16-2015, 11:14 AM
we are so fortunate to have such fine physicians on call ready to diagnose ailments of our cards at a moment's notice.
thank you, my good friends, for this very needed pro bono work.
I know that Jeff must be grateful! :)

all the best,
Barry

joeadcock
08-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Barry

I look at a lot of ears, but cant say I have seen one case of Chondrodermatits Nodularis Chronica Helicus on the Antihelix bridging the scaphoid and triangular fossae.

Probably one of those obscure diagnosis from a boards exam question.

Jeff_cvc
08-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Barry, grateful doesn't even begin to explain my feelings of gratitude. Last night I was only able to sleep seven hours and fifty-nine minutes due to my incessant fascination, not to mention grotesque infatuation with the Kling ear. I may actually get a full nights rest of eight hours tonight thanks to the indomitable Dr. Frank and his completely indecipherable but obviously genius diagnosis. I'm hoping Joe will consider the $10,000 price tag to own this card, it may be the only way to pay Dr. Frank(enstein) the necessary funds to cure the Spotted Monkey Kling Ear. All we need is for this to spread to an Atz, Wilhelm or dare I say Cobb. Next thing you know we will all wake up to our t206 collection all having the same affliction. Could you imagine a Mathewson portrait with a spotted ear, the shame....

joeadcock
08-16-2015, 11:43 AM
I think this guy will want $10,010.

mybuddyinc
08-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Figured someone had to do this ................ :)

ethicsprof
08-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Barry

I look at a lot of ears, but cant say I have seen one case of Chondrodermatits Nodularis Chronica Helicus on the Antihelix bridging the scaphoid and triangular fossae.

Probably one of those obscure diagnosis from a boards exam question.

Frank, this certainly helps Jeff's case for rarity and for additional premium for the card. The photo of the ear just offered concerns me a bit. Looks like some seborrheic keratoses encroaching and I see nothing like this on the Kling portrait. Granted, we're probably looking at two difference issues, i.e. the Helicus and the keratoses. Still, the Kling would be breaking incredible ground if both issues could be seen on the ear and behind the ear.
all the best,
Barry

frankbmd
08-16-2015, 03:38 PM
It is well know that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, no matter how hard you kling to it, but

on a related note

Elephant skin graft gives mutilated rhino second chance

http://news.yahoo.com/elephant-skin-graft-gives-mutilated-rhino-second-chance-203348323.html;_ylt=AwrC1C56tc9V8hAAjZTQtDMD;_ylu= X3oDMTByMHZ0NG9yBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM3BHZ0aWQDBHNlYw Nzcg--

Assessing authenticity just became that much more difficult.;):D

joeadcock
08-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Frank, this certainly helps Jeff's case for rarity and for additional premium for the card. The photo of the ear just offered concerns me a bit. Looks like some seborrheic keratoses encroaching and I see nothing like this on the Kling portrait. Granted, we're probably looking at two difference issues, i.e. the Helicus and the keratoses. Still, the Kling would be breaking incredible ground if both issues could be seen on the ear and behind the ear.
all the best,
Barry

Barry
Good analysis. Yes.

Gonna guess S. Gross's picture is an SCC. Probably some guy who got lots of sun for decades and burned that ear. Needs Moh's.

mybuddyinc
08-16-2015, 04:21 PM
I assume SCC means I just got it off the web, which I did. :o

Since this thread has lead us to elephants and rhinoceros, I figure I might add:

I have always gone with that the possessive of Gross is Gross', not Gross's. As the same with even Davis'. Also I find that the "x" ending French (Cajun) names, like Boudreaux or Giroux also do not use the 's.

Just one Gross' opinion :rolleyes:

joeadcock
08-16-2015, 04:44 PM
I assume SCC means I just got it off the web, which I did. :o

Since this thread has lead us to elephants and rhinoceros, I figure I might add:

I have always gone with that the possessive of Gross is Gross', not Gross's. As the same with even Davis'. Also I find that the "x" ending French (Cajun) names, like Boudreaux or Giroux also do not use the 's.

Just one Gross' opinion :rolleyes:

Sorry
Grammar never been my strong suit. Didn't mean to beat up your name. I stand corrected.

In my comment to Barry(who works in the field) that thing in the ear looks like an SCC(squamous cell carcinoma). Didn't mean to go this far(in this thread). I'll drop the subject. Boring to most i'm sure.

ethicsprof
08-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Sorry
Grammar never been my strong suit. Didn't mean to beat up your name. I stand corrected.

In my comment to Barry(who works in the field) that thing in the ear looks like an SCC(squamous cell carcinoma). Didn't mean to go this far(in this thread). I'll drop the subject. Boring to most i'm sure.

frank, you have wisely made a subtle turn to something that at least can be 'graded',viz. scc. great fun frank,frank,and Mr. G. .
Grammar, med. Greek, cards, and family fun are always top choices for a sunday afternoon IMHO. Now it is time to get ready for Monday.
all the best, friends,
Barry

Jeff_cvc
08-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Thank you Barry, Frank, Joe and Scott for taking an interest in the Spotted Monkey Kling Ear. I now feel complete and prepared for a good nights rest. There is not an ear in this world that can upset me now, I've seen and lived through the Kling ear, I am battle hardened. Of course there is the Striped Zebra Kruger Forehead, but that's for another Sunday....

ethicsprof
08-16-2015, 08:42 PM
super job!
I'm eager to see what you provide for analysis for another Sunday!
all the best, ole buddy

Barry