PDA

View Full Version : Help ID-ing 2 Uncut Strips

Paul S
08-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi strip card experts! I had a surprise earlier today. I was staring at a large box full of a lot of my cards (Gallo Hearty Burgundy if you must know). I've had this box since the 60s. So, I notice something written by a marker, in my childhood hand: "Look in seam". Now, the box once contained half gallons, and the dividers and pretty thick. Between the dividers and the side of the box, I remove these two uncut strips! One is baseball players and the other assorted sports. I am shocked! I don't recall ever purchasing them. but I guess I must have just put them away and forgotten. As you can tell, this box survived a basement flood.

I only have a modicum of strip card knowledge, so...era? circa? manufacturer?, value. etc. I'm so excited by don't want to get ahead of myself. There are ten cards to each strip. The images are shown diagonally across my scanner plate.

BradH
08-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Hi Paul -
I am certainly not a strip card expert, but I do happen to have the same baseball strip you have. It's from 1919. Mine is also 10 players, with the "pitcher" being misspelled (as it is on yours). I believe it also comes in a 12-card version. The player poses and the colors used on the 10-card strip are different than the ones on the 12-card strip.

I purchased mine a few years ago and put it in a frame in my office. Mine is in very nice condition and I think I paid around $75-80.

Hope that helps a little,
Brad

Edited to add: It was always puzzling to me that five of the six position players on this 10-card strip are left-handed (I'm not counting the pitcher, base runner or two batters). Especially the catcher and both shortstops (?). I'm guessing that the artist was not a baseball fan. Kind of like baseball artwork that you see sometimes where home plate is backwards.

Paul S
08-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Hey thanks, Brad! That's more info than I thought I might get. I was having some trouble placing the uniforms close to a specific year...and that font! All the best, Paul

Leon
08-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Neat story. Thanks for sharing. I think many of us have had a story like that and it's always great to find stuff we didn't know we have.

I have the other strip classified as W542. As Brad stated, nominal monetary value but can have great other value. (as I was reminded concerning Large Ass Herzog when he was MIA for a while)...About W542 Burdick said they were "Sports Drawings(10 seen) 1 1/2 x 2 5/8 anon. ... .04"

Hey thanks, Brad! That's more info than I thought I might get. I was having some trouble placing the uniforms close to a specific year...and that font! All the best, Paul

BradH
08-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Here's a Net54 link from 2006 (with later discussion from 2011) regarding these cards. Some of the images have been removed or are not available, but it sounds as if the discussion was about the 12-card strip and maybe even a 15-card strip(?).

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=80354

It's interesting to note the speculation about who some of the cards are modeled after.