PDA

View Full Version : Any chance this is a PSA 4?

Jetsfan
08-15-2015, 05:39 AM
Hi,

This card is currently graded SGC 3. Based on my searches of eBay on what PSA 4 cards look like from 1953 Topps, I feel that this card would have a good shot at a PSA 4 on a crack out (which I've never done and am a little afraid to try). So my question is this...do you think this has a shot at a PSA 4? Could it come back at lower than a 3? Based on what I've read, a crossover is unlikely to upgrade (though a 3.5 would be good). Or, given my concern over a crack out, am I just better off sending to SGC for a review...or doing nothing and just being happy as is? Thanks!

Jetsfan
08-15-2015, 05:41 AM
Here's the back

hangman62
08-15-2015, 05:59 AM
yes

Jetsfan
08-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Sorry Ralph, but yes to what? That it could get a 4?

brewing
08-15-2015, 06:48 AM
Assuming there are no surface flaws, yes that could easily be in a 4 holder.

KCRfan1
08-15-2015, 07:04 AM
If that is paper loss or a chip at the base of the card on the front, you should be very happy with a 3.

Jetsfan
08-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Hi Lou,

I was concerned about that myself, but check this one out from eBay: I think they may give some leeway for chipping along the colored border. But that's why I made the post to begin with...I don't want this to come back as a 2.5, but it's rare that they upgrade a crossover.

Ksquared
08-15-2015, 02:44 PM
I think it depends on what you are trying to do. Are you looking to try and flip it if it gets graded a PSA 4? Or keeping it in your collection and would rather have it in a PSA holder? Or some other reason?

Let's assume a quick flip is what you're looking for.......
From some quick research, looks like you paid around $830. On the higher end of a SGC 40 sale from checking completed ebay transactions. And around the middle to higher range of PSA 3. It's definitely on the nicer end of a SGC 40/PSA 3 so that's ok to pay a little more.

Some PSA 4s were selling in the $1000-1100 range (not sure if that's the right number but that is what is coming up on completed ebay transactions). Let's say you get $1100. It will cost you about $70 to ship, get it graded and shipped back (based on 5 day super express submission at PSA because of value of card - $35 for grading, $18 for shipping back to you plus whatever it takes for you to ship to them). That leaves you $200 in profit before ebay fees. Not sure on fees these days, but that's probably $100 after fees, assuming 10% with ebay/paypal?

If you have to submit it twice because it didn't grade a 4 the first time or you don't get a higher end price, you are probably closer to even or losing money.

Assuming you want to keep it I would just leave it the way it is. Nice card, nice slab, no risk to leaving it the way it is.

If you have a low to mid grade 1953 topps set you are putting together for the registry and would rather have it in PSA, send it over and be happy with what it comes back at (or keep submitting it until it gets a 4).

Just my $.02.....good luck with whatever you decide.

Jetsfan
08-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Jim,

Really good advice. Much appreciated. I don't have a great reason for wanting it in a PSA 4 slab, other than I thought it could be and would therefore be "worth more". I have no intention of selling it. I did pay on the high end for SGC 3, as based on prior sales I thought it was one of the nicer versions of an SGC 3 and therefore I was ok paying a premium (as I said, I plan on keeping the card)...paid right around what you said.

I should add that almost all of my collection was acquired as a kid in the 80s. Just getting back into it, and it looks like I'm getting a little caught up in the "grading game".

Thanks again.

KCRfan1
08-15-2015, 05:55 PM
I certainly understand the purchase being on the higher end. It's a very nice looking card, and IMO, could grade higher ( assuming the paper loss or chip on the front held the card back in grading ). Some 4's look like beaters, some look like 6's with a flaw somewhere. I believe your's could be the latter. If there is no rush, enjoy the card for now and you can always submit a re-grade later. Whatever the case, I believe we would all tell you the card was well bought.