PDA

View Full Version : If anyone sees this Cy Young, please let me know

itjclarke
08-15-2015, 03:57 AM
If anyone sees this card let me know via email (itjclarke@yahoo.com), it was in my back pack which was stolen out of my car today. My car was in a small "secure" garage underneath my storage building, which has several cameras and office staff who should be watching everyone come in and out. I was away from the car for maybe 30-45 minutes. This one stings, though other things lost in the bag probably hurt as much if not more (computer, external drives, and loads of other work and personal stuff). All said, I have to be thankful as it could've been far worse-- I had three more cards just picked up from PO in my center console. All were en route to my bank box after the stop at storage.

Been a strange year+, a still unsolved check scam, a theft, and a few slabs broken in the mail. I think it's a long shot I see the Young again, as I'm pretty sure my bag/computer have already made they're way onto SF's stolen street market (walked miles on/around mid-Market St, and a couple described my bag and computer to a T, one even saying it had been offered to him, but his passing because computer was an "old Dell"). Guessing a lot of stuff ended up in the trash, possibly including the card, but hoping it'll at least make it to a pawn shop and survive... then eventually resurface in the market.

Leon
08-15-2015, 06:27 AM
That is a shame Ian. These cards are like fingerprints and hopefully it will show up and be recovered. BTW, that is one of my fave cards in the hobby (as if most don't know.) If you want to you can bump this thread every few days for a while. Good luck....

tiger8mush
08-15-2015, 06:37 AM
Sorry Ian :( Hope you eventually get your stuff back

Enfuego
08-15-2015, 07:35 AM
That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iowadoc77
08-15-2015, 07:53 AM
One of my favorite cards as well. So sorry. That does sting. Hopefully some idiot makes a mistake and it shows up. Good luck

DeanH3
08-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Man that sucks. I'll definately keep an eye out. Check craigslist a lot too. It could pop up there eventually.

terjung
08-15-2015, 02:21 PM
That's just awful, Ian. I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep an eye out.

HRBAKER
08-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear about this.

Exhibitman
08-15-2015, 02:46 PM
My condolences.

Luke
08-15-2015, 02:47 PM
So brutal. I'm sorry man :(

pencil1974
08-15-2015, 03:29 PM
You are having a rough year Ian, things will get better I hope!

itjclarke
08-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys, yeah rough (and very weird) year indeed. Funny though, the rest of my life has been pretty good and drama free in that time, just lots of card drama.

One bit of positive news, my renter's insurance told me they expect this theft will be covered under my policy. Finger crossed there.

oldjudge
08-15-2015, 04:33 PM
sorry to hear about this

08-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Stories like this make my stomach turn. I'm very sorry to hear this.

Eric72
08-15-2015, 04:43 PM
If anyone sees this card let me know via email (itjclarke@yahoo.com), it was in my back pack which was stolen out of my car today. My car was in a small "secure" garage underneath my storage building, which has several cameras and office staff who should be watching everyone come in and out. I was away from the car for maybe 30-45 minutes. This one stings, though other things lost in the bag probably hurt as much if not more (computer, external drives, and loads of other work and personal stuff). All said, I have to be thankful as it could've been far worse-- I had three more cards just picked up from PO in my center console. All were en route to my bank box after the stop at storage.

Been a strange year+, a still unsolved check scam, a theft, and a few slabs broken in the mail. I think it's a long shot I see the Young again, as I'm pretty sure my bag/computer have already made they're way onto SF's stolen street market (walked miles on/around mid-Market St, and a couple described my bag and computer to a T, one even saying it had been offered to him, but his passing because computer was an "old Dell"). Guessing a lot of stuff ended up in the trash, possibly including the card, but hoping it'll at least make it to a pawn shop and survive... then eventually resurface in the market.

Ian,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Having said this, I have a question for you.

May we open this thread up to everyone who has lost a card under similar circumstances?

A single thread here which shows all of the lost, stolen cards would be a great resource.

Please let me know if you are OK with this idea.

kevlewis
08-15-2015, 10:18 PM

Damn Im sorry bro. So keep your eyes on ebay and if u see it buy it. Tell the guy after that you dont have pay pal and need to overnight him a cashier check. Once u get that address call the cops and give it to them. Good luck buddy

Jobu
08-15-2015, 10:29 PM
I like this idea a lot but think we should start a new thread called something more general like "Stolen/Lost Cards".

I am sorry to hear about your loss and definitely hope your renter's insurance covers it.

My one suggestion: make sure your police report has the serial number on the slab and your scan, even if it is just a print out, so that you don't need to waste any time proving that stuff if this shows up later.

Ian,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Having said this, I have a question for you.

May we open this thread up to everyone who has lost a card under similar circumstances?

A single thread here which shows all of the lost, stolen cards would be a great resource.

vthobby
08-15-2015, 10:53 PM
I myself have been a victim of criminals (SCUM). While I was in my early 20s and doing the Albany Polish Community Shows with Ed Keetz, someone stole a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth out of my showcase (I had gone to bathroom and to get a bite and my friend was watching table!) and no he did not take the card! There were other big thefts that day. That hurt a lot.

As a baseball card store owner in the 1990s in Vermont, I was burglarized at night to the tune of about $10,000 in cards with a huge hole in my wall (where they smashed the drywall (I guess that is the preferred mode of entry when you have steel double locked doors). Try convincing an insurance company that cards are worth what they are worth! That really sucked.

Hang in there. This card is unique enough that it may surface and if anyone on here sees it, then you will get it back I'm sure.

I will pay this forward and do a good deed for you. Please PM me your mailing address and you will then get a free surprise sports card gift from Vermont. No charge. No gimmicks. Just a way to help you in a little bit to see that the world is not all that bad. I do not even know what I will send you but will figure it out when you send me your address. Hit me up.

Thanks,

Peace, Mike

freakhappy
08-16-2015, 02:04 AM
I myself have been a victim of criminals (SCUM). While I was in my early 20s and doing the Albany Polish Community Shows with Ed Keetz, someone stole a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth out of my showcase (I had gone to bathroom and to get a bite and my friend was watching table!) and no he did not take the card! There were other big thefts that day. That hurt a lot.

As a baseball card store owner in the 1990s in Vermont, I was burglarized at night to the tune of about $10,000 in cards with a huge hole in my wall (where they smashed the drywall (I guess that is the preferred mode of entry when you have steel double locked doors). Try convincing an insurance company that cards are worth what they are worth! That really sucked.

Hang in there. This card is unique enough that it may surface and if anyone on here sees it, then you will get it back I'm sure.

I will pay this forward and do a good deed for you. Please PM me your mailing address and you will then get a free surprise sports card gift from Vermont. No charge. No gimmicks. Just a way to help you in a little bit to see that the world is not all that bad. I do not even know what I will send you but will figure it out when you send me your address. Hit me up.

Thanks,

Peace, Mike

Great gesture...you da man, Mike!

Sorry to hear about the theft Ian...really sucks, man :( Keep your head up and hopefully insurance will cover it.

itjclarke
08-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Ian,

Hi Eric, that's fine, I don't mind. Seems a good idea given there are probably a handful of other stolen cards out there. As Leon says, each have their own fingerprints, so even if cracked out, they should often be identifiable.

Anyone who's had anything taken, feel free to post here.

Separately, Mike, thanks a million.. that's really nice of you.

Ian

1952boyntoncollector
08-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Whatever happened on the check scam...i thought that got resolved..

brass_rat
08-16-2015, 09:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the card, Ian.

It also seems like you're not the only one dealing with theft issues, according to data this week:

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/San-Francisco-sees-spike-in-car-break-ins-6447584.php

Best,
Steve

itjclarke
08-16-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the card, Ian.

It also seems like you're not the only one dealing with theft issues, according to data this week:

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/San-Francisco-sees-spike-in-car-break-ins-6447584.php

Best,
Steve

Oh I do know this well, I used to live in So of Market and my car window was smashed 10-12 times. Difference then was my car was parked on the street, and the crooks got little more than business cards and loose change.

I've been in a much mellower neighborhood the past 3 years, so maybe got a little complacent. Still amazed it happened in a garage like this though. Cameras, and front desk staff with clear views of the very small lot. From what I learned cruising around the street Friday night, these guys have it pretty well organized. Think there are a handful of guys who buy and consolidate the stolen goods from the break in guys. They store them in parked cars, and then make the deals on foot (Market St, Polk St, other). Seems they aim to sell stuff the same day, but if they're not able to, there's apartments/hotel rooms/storage with hoards of stuff.

Re- previous post and the check fraud. As of now, I've gotten my money back from my bank, but still have no further explanation from them, or from the seller (Timelord).

itjclarke
08-20-2015, 12:24 AM
Would someone with VCP please give me VCP on this Cy Young (PSA3 and/or SGC40). I've got several sales recorded and seen it sell anywhere from about $900 to $1900. Expect average is about $1200-$1300 but would like to provide a more precise reference for insurance. Thanks

pokerplyr80
08-20-2015, 01:08 AM
7/7/15 eBay Auction | Image pwcc_auctions 6***b 25 $1,235.00
3/28/14 Goodwin Image 12 $1,041.25
9/20/13 Goodwin Image 18 $1,343.51
5/13/12 REA Image 10 $1,185.00
7/16/09 19th Century Only Image 13 $1,443.25
12/19/08 Mastro 24 $1,920.00
10/22/08 Huggins & Scott Image 10 $1,265.00 Proof
12/18/07 eBay Image recordsncards pw112755pw 25 $1,366.00
11/1/07 Old Judge $1,576.30
2/13/07 eBay $1,925.00

Sorry the format didnt copy right. They list the average at 1,235 for the only sale in 2015. That's for SGC 40

pokerplyr80
08-20-2015, 01:09 AM
I guess it copied fine, just not in the box before I posted it

itjclarke
08-20-2015, 01:57 AM
Thanks a million Jesse, a little higher than I'd guessed... roughly $1430 average for past 10 sales.

Will see if insurance pays out.

the 'stache
08-20-2015, 02:32 AM
Ian, that really sucks. I'm so sorry. Such a beautiful card..

What is wrong with people today? :(

Wayne
08-20-2015, 09:19 AM
I will keep my eyes open. I hate thieves and the punishment is not hard enough for these people.

Have you tried E-bay, Craigs List, Pawn Shops, Police your local LCS?
I dont know if there is a way but can you look up the serial number on any of the card sites and see if you get a hit?

Rickyy
08-20-2015, 11:46 AM
That blows Ian. I hope it turns up someplace. Will keep an eye out for you in the Bay Area.

Ricky Y

itjclarke
08-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys. Without divulging too much (think there's a 0.0001% chance these guys read N54), I am surprised but very happy with SFPD's response. We've got some nice clues, which helped get their attention initially, and now seems like there's actually a chance to get them. Will post if they do get caught.

I did check CL and set up an eBay search. I also called a card shop and a few pawn shops, but apparently SF pawn shops alreday have to submit all items purchased to the SFPD. This is a searchable data base, so the detective will be able to keep an eye out there. Even if the crooks do happen to read this, my guess is it's nearly certain everything of value has been moved/sold by now (1st day), or thrown away.

CW
08-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Good luck with this Ian. Hopefully something was seen on a video camera somewhere. It's tough to get away with stuff these days since cameras are just about everywhere (I'm talking the closed circuit video camera types).

Leon
08-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Sure hope it shows up. Stranger things have happened.

Thanks guys. Without divulging too much (think there's a 0.0001% chance these guys read N54), I am surprised but very happy with SFPD's response. We've got some nice clues, which helped get their attention initially, and now seems like there's actually a chance to get them. Will post if they do get caught.

I did check CL and set up an eBay search. I also called a card shop and a few pawn shops, but apparently SF pawn shops alreday have to submit all items purchased to the SFPD. This is a searchable data base, so the detective will be able to keep an eye out there. Even if the crooks do happen to read this, my guess is it's nearly certain everything of value has been moved/sold by now (1st day), or thrown away.

pokerplyr80
08-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Thanks a million Jesse, a little higher than I'd guessed... roughly $1430 average for past 10 sales.

Will see if insurance pays out.

No problem, glad to help a little. I know the feeling. I had a break in a couple of months after my wife and I bought our first house. I had just gotten back into collecting and they took everything. Insurance covered most of what we lost, but it was a huge hassle. And being unable to feel safe in your own house is not good.