PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: A.G. Spalding logo

ooo-ribay
08-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Hey guys-

Anyone know when AGS might have used this logo?

Thanks!

vintagesportscollector
08-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Rob - Can you show more of the pennant? Tag looks similar to one I have on a uniform from 1920.

http://antiquesportscollector.com/Spalding1917.jpg

lefty147
08-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Looks 1910's/20's to me.

perezfan
08-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Perplexing. Tag looks older than 1958, but the style of pennant matches another one the same seller had with "SF Giants" embroidered in like fashion.

The Giants didn't start wearing the Orange/Black motif until 1933, so that's the very oldest it could be. Of course, the pennant could be a generic Giants pennant, with no affiliation whatsoever to the MLB club. I don't think that's the case, but would vote 1950s on this one... simply because that's the era that fits best with the black/orange combination. The Giants wore black and orange that entire decade, and seller had very similar pennant with "SF" embroidered on.

Preponderance of evidence says 1950s. Might be New York / might be SF. There's always some guesswork with these generic style pennants. I don't love the generics, but if I had every other Giants pennant known to mankind, I might pursue it :rolleyes:

Also, there are actually quite a few subtle differences between the two tags, if you look closely at in the Spalding logo font.

vintagesportscollector
08-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Mark you are right, there are definetly subtle differences between the two tags, but I do think that red tag could be 1920. I am however not certain because can't match it exactly. I have seen a few script Spalding variations from 1920.
My guess is still earlier generic Giants pennant, but I need to see if I can find that matching red tag in another 1920s or 50s example to be more certain.

vintagesportscollector
08-12-2015, 10:27 PM
Another script Spalding tag from the 1920s, but yet still subtle differences from the other two examples.

vintagesportscollector
08-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Ok. Found a similar 50s tag, so changing my vote to most likely 1950s too. I have found these script tags to be the most difficult Spalding tags to pin down a date.

vintagesportscollector
08-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Yet another version from 1920 to show how uncertain trying to date this tag can be.

vintagesportscollector
08-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Now I feel like just piling on...because I can't sleep :o. Here is a 50s very close match... (Yet still very very subtle differences.)

Duluth Eskimo
08-13-2015, 06:21 AM
Saw that pennant (or pennants too) and was wondering myself. Figured it would be up your alley. Don't know what to make of it as perezfan mentioned. Just didn't seem to add up right to attribute to anything too early, but it is definitely different which can be good and bad. This is one I would want to hold in my hand before I bought it, but that's not available on eBay. You can always return it though. Hope you get it. Jason

ooo-ribay
08-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Saw that pennant (or pennants too) and was wondering myself. Figured it would be up your alley. Don't know what to make of it as perezfan mentioned. Just didn't seem to add up right to attribute to anything too early, but it is definitely different which can be good and bad. This is one I would want to hold in my hand before I bought it, but that's not available on eBay. You can always return it though. Hope you get it. Jason

I guess you guys have all seen it. I semi-know the seller. He had them listed separately but now they're a "lot." I have the SF Giants pennant - it's a nice quality pennant and not too often seen. I'm with you...the tag looks old but not the pennant (font, etc.). We'll see what happens...I don't want them both :p

vintagesportscollector
08-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Rob - are you sure they are a "Lot"? the SF Giants pennant sold in another auction. The description only describes one pennant, and the seller added the wording "one pennant". I think he has old pics of the SF Giants pennant that he mistakenly added and I guess cannot remove.

ooo-ribay
08-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Rob - are you sure they are a "Lot"? the SF Giants pennant sold in another auction. The description only describes one pennant, and the seller added the wording "one pennant". I think he has old pics of the SF Giants pennant that he mistakenly added and I guess cannot remove.

I think you're right, even though the heading still says "pennants." $175 is more than I would pay.

perezfan
08-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Agree... Too much $$ :p