PDA

View Full Version : East Coast National: Anyone Going?

btcarfagno
08-11-2015, 01:03 PM
I am going to try to head over on Friday if I can make it at all. Anyone else going to be there? Anyone know what to expect regarding dealers/prices etc?

Tom C

Al C.risafulli
08-11-2015, 01:06 PM
I'll be there as usual, at my table just inside the front door, begging people for consignments for the next auction.

-Al

midmo
08-11-2015, 01:21 PM
I'll be in New York this weekend and was thinking about checking it out Friday. I'm staying in midtown and have never been north of Yankee stadium so trying to figure out if it's worth the time to head up there. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Jewish-collector
08-11-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm planning to go to this show too, but have never been there before. Can someone post more about this show and how this show compares to the Philly show or Chantilly ?

Thx.

sayhey24
08-11-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm going Tom -- haven't been in several years, but I've always seen a pretty decent selection of vintage there.

Greg

packs
08-11-2015, 01:57 PM
I'll probably go too. I've been to this show many times. There is usually a decent selection of pre-war but you are going to have to pay double what you should if you want to buy anything. Sometimes you may get lucky and find a reasonable person. But for the most part its the same dealers with the same cards show after show, always haggling and never selling anything.

x2drich2000
08-11-2015, 01:59 PM
I'm planning to be there on Sat. I usually head up to most of the White Plains shows. In my opinion, the show is very similar to the Philly Show. A lot of the same dealers at both. There is usually a good selection of prewar, but prices of course will be higher than ebay. If you dig around a bit you may be able to find a bargain or two. If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

DJ

Donscards
08-11-2015, 02:07 PM
I will be setting up at the show thur thru sunday---I have 10 showcases of graded cards---10 Ty Cobbs--1933 Ruth (2) Graded T206's with many epdg backs--Loaded with 1950's and 60's stars ( 1952 Topps Mantle SGC authentic)--psa 7 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC--plus all the others. I just purchased a graded 1951 Bowman set (all stars graded) Sorry , sold the Mantle at the National---For ungraded commons, I have 1951 Bowman--1957 Topps. Plus a lot of other good stuff. This show is great for Vintage cards with Top Notch dealers. I feel the show is worth a trip for all.

Beastmode
08-11-2015, 02:13 PM
I am going to try to head over on Friday if I can make it at all. Anyone else going to be there? Anyone know what to expect regarding dealers/prices etc?

Tom C

They just had the east coast show. It was in Chicago.

arcadekrazy
08-11-2015, 02:36 PM
I work in White Plains and go to every White Plains show. Recently, there has been an uptick in available vintage material. But prices - WOW. You won't find deals. Mostly the same dealers with the same museum (mausoleum?) of cards and memorabilia that don't sell. Prices are high even after accounting for the dealer's cost to setup, etc. On the bright side, you get to socialize with fellow collectors. Always fun to stop by LoTG's table and socialize a bit.

Just one man's opinion.

ibuysportsephemera
08-11-2015, 02:38 PM
I will probably go Friday for the opening. It is a pretty good show, but you really have to search for deals.

Jeff

bcbgcbrcb
08-11-2015, 02:46 PM
One thing I have noticed over the past several years as compared to the Philly shows, very few of the auction houses set up at the WP Show, although the August show is the biggest of the year and might draw more AH's than usual.

GregMitch34
08-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Question, this year I have to go Thursday, opening day, about 6 pm--it opens at 4. I wonder if maybe a lot of dealers are not set up then and makes it kind of a waste?

Donscards
08-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Greg. We start going in at 11am. I would say all dealers are set up by 4. This show is one of the best on the east coast now if not the best.

iwantitiwinit
08-11-2015, 04:13 PM
I've been to virtually every show held at the White Plains Center over the past 10 years. Selection of vintage is usually very substancial especially at the "East Coast Nationals" but don't think you will find many if any "deals", prices are often 125-150% of retail and it won't matter whether you are there the first day, last day or all days. If you don't mind paying up you can come away with some difficult to find items.

Donscards
08-11-2015, 05:37 PM
If I could chime in on prices from a dealers prospective===the last 5 years or so, it is very tough to find good material, if you do, you have to pay the price which then leads to higher prices----I buy material from auction houses, shows and collectors===It is very competitive--so prices reflect this. The last couple years, I have been buying from a long time collector who is selling off his sets---He uses VCP and I usually pay 80% off the high price---If I don't pay his asking price, it would go to a auction house--but I am happy to pay his price and get great cards and he is happy to get paid quickly.--- I know there is a lot of complaining on prices, but most of this is due to higher prices now being paid---Oh, for the old days, I started in 1977 and in the 80's you could purchase great material. I purchased all I could at very fair buy prices, you couldn't go wrong because the stuff went up monthly and you always made money. But getting back to the White Plains show, there is great material there and I buy from some of the dealers, so prices cant be all that bad.

bostonmarathonman
08-12-2015, 12:50 AM
I will be setting up at the show thur thru sunday---I have 10 showcases of graded cards---10 Ty Cobbs--1933 Ruth (2) Graded T206's with many epdg backs--Loaded with 1950's and 60's stars ( 1952 Topps Mantle SGC authentic)--psa 7 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC--plus all the others. I just purchased a graded 1951 Bowman set (all stars graded) Sorry , sold the Mantle at the National---For ungraded commons, I have 1951 Bowman--1957 Topps. Plus a lot of other good stuff. This show is great for Vintage cards with Top Notch dealers. I feel the show is worth a trip for all.

That's all well and good, but will you have a psa 8.5 rose rookie wink-wink?!?!

Well, you get a vacation from me this time around as I won't be there although marc told me I should go--dont feel like making the drive from boston though!!

Here's hoping you have yet another great show!!

kevinlenane
08-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Im going! Hunting for Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Johnny Pesky and Dom Dimaggio. Going to try to hit it on Thursday bc the oddball Ted stuff goes fast.

hammer
08-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Any Report's from the show?

sayhey24
08-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Went to the show on Friday, it was as many people described it -- a fair amount of pre-war, but very expensive. I managed to find a couple of post-war bargains, including a Stan Musial Wheaties tin and a 1960s Yankees train excursion poster.

Greg

VintageBall
08-16-2015, 06:41 PM
That Cy Young Wageman pin was great. I hadn't seen one in person before.

I can report a cameo appearance by a new-to-the-show dealer: Dan McKee!

vintagesportscollector
08-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Went to the show on Friday, it was as many people described it -- a fair amount of pre-war, but very expensive. I managed to find a couple of post-war bargains, including a Stan Musial Wheaties tin and a 1960s Yankees train excursion poster.

Greg

I was at the show as well on Friday, for the first time. From a memorabilia side, it was a bit of a disappointment compared to the Philly Shows, but still picked up a couple inexpensive items to make the trip worth while. Greg - it would have been nice to meet, if I knew you were there.

sayhey24
08-16-2015, 07:33 PM
You're right Joe, vintage memorabilia was scarce, and we should have had a meet up!
I was looking for certain types of pinbacks, but they were few and far between.
Here are a few more photos:

Greg

tombocombo
08-17-2015, 02:01 AM
Great to see everybody, some nice cards in the room.

packs
08-17-2015, 07:23 AM
I went Saturday. I was surprised to see a lot of signed vintage cards at this show. I picked up a signed Tom Seaver 1973 Topps and almost bought a Rickey Henderson signed rookie.

As usual, the prices at this show were insane. I asked a guy his price on a T3 Dahlen and he said $600. I looked at him like he was crazy and kept looking. 30 seconds later he'd dropped his price by $200. I passed on principle.

Kevin
08-22-2023, 07:57 PM
I was in such a rush on Friday. In and out. Ran into some cool people and, of course, the legendary John Goodman. I love that guy. I made what I thought was a good deal on the beautiful YA Tittle 1950 Bowman from a man named Steve. Bought John’s last raw T206 and bought a Southern Leaguer from Stan.

I met a few cool people as well: Brian with the 1950 Bowman’s and Lenny who just kibitzed with me for 30 minutes

Anyway, everyone was cool. John Goodman gave me some collecting advice. A decent 3 hours, to be honest.

Brian
08-22-2023, 10:48 PM
Can anyone identify the owner of the case pictured in Greg's post, the bottom-most case in particular? I definitely did not see that case at the show but am interested in at least one of the cards I see there......
Thanks,
Brian

refz
08-23-2023, 03:50 AM
Time stamp is from 2015, this was an old post.

Hankphenom
08-23-2023, 09:27 AM
You're right Joe, vintage memorabilia was scarce, and we should have had a meet up!I was looking for certain types of pinbacks, but they were few and far between. Here are a few more photos: Greg
That's some serious eye candy there! Thanks for the pics.

Hankphenom
08-23-2023, 09:31 AM
That Cy Young Wageman pin was great. I hadn't seen one in person before. I can report a cameo appearance by a new-to-the-show dealer: Dan McKee! Any Dan McKee appearance is worthy of note! And yes, Robert, that is a great pin.

refz
08-23-2023, 10:22 AM
I worked many of deals with John Goodman, great guy & always a pleasure to chat with.