PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps Mantle reprint advice...

bbcard1
08-11-2015, 06:44 AM
A friend of a friend asked me to help him look at selling a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 for a local man who is having medical issues. The owner remembers having it since he was a boy. I pretty quickly determined it is not real because of the variation of the Topps Baseball written on the back (I know there are at least a half dozen other signs, but that one was the dagger). I have seen these before…anyone have an idea of when it might have been reprinted?

Volod
08-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Can't say that i've seen that one before. The usual '52 Mantle reprint selling on the Bay - that is, other than the authorized 1983 issue - has a back that is almost indistinguishable from the genuine card. But the one you have there is immediately recognizable as a reprint - Topps line on the back has a strange font, among other signs. Who knows when it was made, but if the owner did obtain it as a kid, how old is he now?

bbcard1
08-11-2015, 03:37 PM
He's in his 70s i think but further probing indicates it was give to him sometime later. I hated to break the news to him but I showed him comparisons and he understood.

Volod
08-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah, disappointing i guess, but if it was a gift, at least he's not kicking himself, like some others who were taken.