PDA

View Full Version : How Many Of These Are There - 1976 Rick Miller #302

K-Nole
08-11-2015, 06:37 AM
My In Laws called and said they bough a big load of cards and wanted me to come see if I wanted some.
I found some some good ones from 1958 thru 1980.
But after getting them home and going thru, this caught my eye as "not normal"..
The back of 1976 #302 Rick Miller, at the top, beside outfield is an "I".
I went and looked and did not see this mark on any of the other 1976 #302 Rick Miller cards I have.
Just curious as to if anybody has seen this before? I know it does not make it worth a whole lot, other than to the "variations" collectors, but just thought i would share that these are out there.

savedfrommyspokes
08-11-2015, 07:42 AM
My In Laws called and said they bough a big load of cards and wanted me to come see if I wanted some.
I found some some good ones from 1958 thru 1980.
But after getting them home and going thru, this caught my eye as "not normal"..
The back of 1976 #302 Rick Miller, at the top, beside outfield is an "I".
I went and looked and did not see this mark on any of the other 1976 #302 Rick Miller cards I have.
Just curious as to if anybody has seen this before? I know it does not make it worth a whole lot, other than to the "variations" collectors, but just thought i would share that these are out there.

Have not seen this before. No telling how many are like this...while the sample size is exceptionally small, with the 10 or so copies I have and the 13 copies on COMC, none have this "I". It almost appears to be a print flaw that looks like an "I", similar to this one, located to the right along the border.

JTysver
08-11-2015, 08:44 AM
The thickness of the extra "i" is the exact same as the letters and the angle is exactly the same. Also, it lines up perfectly with the bottom of the text line. However, this "i" is shorter than the others.

This makes me think that it was at one time some other text but was covered up while they were shooting the sheets of cards, not completely covering this. That would make it a variation.

The other option would be a highly coincidental printers mark.

If there are others out there like this, my guess is its a variation. If not, I have to go with printer's mark.

K-Nole
08-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Perfect, and thanks for the input.
I mostly wanted to put it out here to the group to, #1 see if anybody else has seen one, and #2 to show those that are variations collectors, that their are some (or maybe just one) out there.

I really appreciate you guys input!!

ALR-bishop
08-11-2015, 12:10 PM
There are some really weird folks on this board who have perpetuated a 32 page thread on these silly things :)

granite75
08-11-2015, 05:43 PM
I have a couple of that card, but none have that I. Curiously, that I is more interesting than anything Miller ever did on the field.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk