PDA

View Full Version : Identification help...Is this considered a premium?

ksabet
08-09-2015, 07:54 AM
I found this item and it looked pretty cool. I believe it to be a page from Life magazine and wondered if it was catalogued and if it had any value. Thanks in advance.

Kiya

Leon
08-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Almost anything can be considered a premium but as a die hard collector of a great many of them I wouldn't consider that a premium. I don't usually (but occasonally will) think of pages from magazines as premiums. There are some such as M128. and a few other,. that buck the trend. But the one shown I wouldn't consider as a premium. And as such I would think it doesn't have a lot of value, maybe $25 or less? (check PM for offer..... :))

DaClyde
08-09-2015, 02:11 PM
For what it's worth, the page is from the June 26, 1939 issue of Life (https://books.google.com/books?id=Z0kEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA19&dq=Wagners%20play%20the%20collinses%22&pg=PA19#v=onepage&q=Wagners%20play%20the%20collinses%22&f=false).

rhettyeakley
08-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Just a page from a magazine, no real collectible value of any kind other than for display.

A premium or supplement needs to be issued in conjunction with something, almost always the item is not "attached" but a stand-alone item on its own. For example a supplement or premium may come with a newspaper or magazine but will be an item slipped into the newspaper or magazine. If by chance the the item is attached then there usually needs to be some verbiage stating "cut these pictures out" or "save all the images of ballplayers" indicating the item itself was meant (at the time) to be collected by the consumer.

ksabet
08-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Really appreciate it...that was more knowledge than I thought I'd get. I really am thankful for the knowledge of this board.

Kiya

drcy
08-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Also, supplements are included with the product (an unattached blank back print or postcard included with a publication, though not a bound part of it), while a premium is something you send away for (and costs something such as coupons or $$). Baseball Magazine Premiums are premiums rather than supplements because you had to mail away to get them, while Police Gazette Supplements are supplements because they were included with magazines. Old Judge Cabinets are premiums because you got them by mailing in coupons.

There will be some borderline supplements, such as a page bound in a magazine that was clearly designed to be removed. There were a few blank bank prints bound in Baseball Magazine magazines that were designed to be removed by the reader. These aren't the same as the normal magazine page or picture, though they were bound with the rest of the pages. A clear example would be the Sports Illustrated for Kids cards that were staple bound in the magazine but were more than clearly intended to be removed as trading cards. They're even on cardboard with perforated edges.

If the publisher clearly intended for the reader to to remove and use a staple bound page as a pretty picture, then you can probably get away with it calling it a supplement. It's like cards cut from a newspaper. A newspaper picture isn't normally considered at trading card, but if they had dotted lines around them with pictures of scissors and has instructions for kids to cut them out as collectible cards, most would say they qualify as trading cards.