PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Pro vs. BCW: which is better?

Vintagevault13
08-08-2015, 07:15 AM
For you "binder guys", which sheet is better, Ultra Pro or BCW? I have only bought BCW and have been fairly pleased, but I have noticed that the cards (especially in the middle row) sometimes don't fit as well. As a result, the top of the card is sometimes exposed. Does this also happen with Ultra Pro? I have tried to put the cards in penny sleeves for extra protection, but the fit is a little snug and the sleeve "wrinkles".

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ALR-bishop
08-08-2015, 08:38 AM
I use Ultra Pro, but can not offer any comparison

7nohitter
08-08-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm an Ultra Pro guy.

jasonc
08-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Ultra Pro here as well. The ones I was using for my sets in binders is the Platinum kind, I was quite happy with them. If I had a high value, high grade card, I don't really trust them in pages.

But for "mid" grade, I don't have any issues with the "Platinum" brand

As for BCW, can't really comment, as I haven't tried them.

Eric72
08-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Hi, Ed.

Ultra-Pro Platinum for me, too. I have found that BCW products leave much to be desired whereas it concerns size. Along with the pages (as you mentioned) their soft sleeves fit so tightly, I fear that a corner will get chipped every time I place a card in one of them.

Attached are a few images: the box; the product number; and a Topps Heritage set bindered with Ultra-Pro pages.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Eric

Vintagevault13
08-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Hi, Ed.

Ultra-Pro Platinum for me, too. I have found that BCW products leave much to be desired whereas it concerns size. Along with the pages (as you mentioned) their soft sleeves fit so tightly, I fear that a corner will get chipped every time I place a card in one of them.

Attached are a few images: the box; the product number; and a Topps Heritage set bindered with Ultra-Pro pages.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the info and pics. Your Heritage set looks great in the binder BTW. I have just completed the 1965 Topps set and wanted to put the cards in penny sleeves before inserting into the pages. They don't fit well in the BCW pages. I definitely think I will give the Ultra Pro Platinum a try.

DHogan
08-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Ultra Pro for me. I used the BCW pages in the early 90's. I'll never be able to get the cards out of those pages now.

hangman62
08-09-2015, 05:48 PM
I recall back in the day..some plastic sheets had PVC..or no PVC ?...and they said it would ooze into the cards...recall seeing pics of an old set of card..in the pages...looking like someone had it on top of the back seat of the car in the summer heat !

Vintagevault13
08-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will be giving the Ultra Pro sheets a try. I must say, however, that I think the BCW binders are better quality than the Ultra Pro. They seem to be more sturdy and durable.

steve B
08-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Ultra Pro for me. I used the BCW pages in the early 90's. I'll never be able to get the cards out of those pages now.

Have you tried putting them in the freezer for a while? Once they shrink and the seal between the card and sheet is disrupted they should be ok to remove.

Obviously try it with a sheet of inexpensive cards first.

I've also used a thin object like stamp tongs to get some gap between the card and sheet. But you have to be really careful.

Steve B

Jayworld
08-10-2015, 06:57 AM
I prefer Ultra Pro Platinum pages in BCW binders. The BCW binders are awesome and have lasted 30+ years with no problems. The Ultra Pro binders after a while seem to either split at the seams or the metal posts don't line up exactly.