PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Atlantic City 2016

peterose4hof
08-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Who's Going? Who's Not? Who thinks A.C. is a terrible place to have the Show?

icollectDCsports
08-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Hope to make it. Glad it will be back to the East Coast.

DanP
08-04-2015, 12:29 PM
I definitely plan on going with my wife. I haven't been to a national in at least five years.

kkkkandp
08-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Since I have never been to any other National I have no basis for comparison in terms of which is a better venue. All I know is it's a short drive from my house in south Jersey, so that makes it wonderfully accessible to me. Unless there is some scheduling conflict, I'll likely be there at least for one full day.

MVSNYC
08-04-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm excited to have one on the east coast again...as of now, I plan to go...a little blackjack and roulette thrown in the mix never hurt anyone.

peterose4hof
08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm excited to have one on the east coast again...as of now, I plan to go...a little blackjack and roulette thrown in the mix never hurt anyone.

It seems some dealers are concerned the cash will be flowing to the wrong kind of tables. Not singling out you specifically, more the collecting public in general.

e107collector
08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I am planning on attending my first National next year. I know AC isn't what it use to be, but I think it should attract a high attendance, especially on the east coast.

I think it will be a great time!! Hopefully, I'll get to meet a lot of the folks I chat with on the board, and finally put a face to them. :)

Tony

Bicem
08-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Too far for West Coasters, will be going to Vegas that week instead.

packs
08-04-2015, 12:42 PM
I'll be there and going to my first national. I don't see what dealers have to complain about. AC is the place to be for a buyer. People at the show are going to need slot money and when you lose big, you get desperate for cash. And if you win big, it burns a hole in your pocket. Seems like a dream come true for any dealer.

mrvster
08-04-2015, 12:43 PM
It's going to be AWESOME! my first national...meeting all my net 54 friends.......

JERSEY STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

debut of "The Circus"...

..gambling........shows......food......boardwalk.. ..

lions, and tigers, and bears, OH MY:D

Runscott
08-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Will definitely skip it. I was warned that Cleveland would be awful for dealers, but I went anyway and took a bath financially. It was still very positive because of all the interaction with other collectors, and it was a fantastic road trip.

I can't drive all the way to Atlantic City, and from what I've heard it is not a great thing for dealers.

wondo
08-04-2015, 01:03 PM
I'll be there - two hours from the house!

mark evans
08-04-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm giving the trip serious consideration as it is a reasonable car or train ride from DC. Maybe even confuse my wife to join me if we can find something to do with Daisy (our French bulldog who brings new meaning to the term "frisky").

Donscards
08-04-2015, 01:17 PM
I cant wait as a dealer, one of the few times I can drive to a National from Maine---I did hear some dealers will not do it due to no direct flights into AC----they have to fly to Philly or NY and then rent a car do get their goods there.--But I cant wait---I feel there will be a large crowd since East Coast Collectors will be able to drive From New England, NY , Pa. etc.----

rjackson44
08-04-2015, 01:23 PM
i have a house in long beach island 30 min away will be there in a heartbeat.just dont venture to the seedy part of town not worth it .

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-04-2015, 01:26 PM
I hate to say it but probably gonna have to sit out next year's National. Too far to drive from where I live.

08-04-2015, 01:33 PM
No Atlantic City for me. The logistics are too difficult, just like Cleveland. See you in Chicago 2017! They should just have it there every year. :D

Rich Klein
08-04-2015, 01:34 PM
I have my own beliefs about AC -- there are plenty of pros and cons. I advise everyone to think objectively and make up their own minds

Bicem
08-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Sounds like too much work Rich, someone just tell me what to do.

EldoEsq
08-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Will be my first National and really looking forward to it!

pokerplyr80
08-04-2015, 01:51 PM
I have never been to a national and hope to go but will decide closer to the date. I live on the west coast. Do they ever have the national show out this way?

mybuddyinc
08-04-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm never quite sure what I'm going to do tomorrow :rolleyes:, let along next year. However, being a Jersey-Boy, I'd like to make it.

Johnny:

"R u kidding???????"

If you meant it on purpose, I get the Rutgers connection, if not I'll make it:

"We R !!!! -- RU ????"

ullmandds
08-04-2015, 02:04 PM
not going...I may be done with nationals...time will tell.

thetruthisoutthere
08-04-2015, 02:05 PM
I've never been to a National and being that I reside in New Jersey, 2016 will be my first and I am looking forward to it.

conor912
08-04-2015, 02:20 PM
I'll go when it comes to this side of the Rockies, which I realize will be never. I can't help but wonder if the promoters bowed to pressure from Tri-state dealers to have in NJ. Only people from Jersey would think AC is a good idea :)

Edited to add a smiley face so no one jumps down my throat for perceived slights

7nohitter
08-04-2015, 02:23 PM
I've never been, but this is not too far of a drive from MA, so I'm thinking this will be my first national.

judsonhamlin
08-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Will definitely be going for a day. Atlantic City may be Detroit with sand, but the area by the Convention Center is fine.

bbsports
08-04-2015, 02:34 PM
I got word today that I will have a booth for next years' National. Even though I've set for the last 5 years at the East Coast National, this will be the first time I am doing the National. I am looking forward seeing many of my former buyers that bought T206 cards from me on e-bay over the years & current members on net 54. I hope Rich Klein you make it at the National. I have not seen you in the last 10 years, & I always considered you one of the best in the business & a good friend when you lived in Jersey years ago.

packs
08-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Why do people not like Atlantic City? Is it just because of airports and no direct flights? Or is there something I'm missing?

the-illini
08-04-2015, 02:53 PM
I will probably still go but picking a city that you cannot even directly fly into seems pretty silly to me.

Not looking forward to a flight and then driving to get to Atlantic City. Also, I would never go there if it wasn't for the show.

Vintagecatcher
08-04-2015, 02:53 PM
I hope that I'll be able to attend the Atlantic City National in 2016.

It's a year away so we'll see. If I am lucky enough to attend, it will be my 5th National.

Went to my first one in Cleveland in 1997 which was amazing. Remember picking up some nice S74 silks and M116s.

My 2nd National was Atlanta in 1999, where I came home with about $300 more in my pocket. It was a good selling National but not for buying.

My 3rd Natiional was in Atlantic City in 2003. Remember the highlight was trading a Johnny Kling W600 Sporting life Cabinet for a nice Roger Bresnahan Novelty Cutlery Postcard which I have since sold.

My 4th National was Baltimore in 2012, which is probably my favorite National so far. Picked up a nice Claude Berry HRK and a Mitze D310 Pacific Coast Biscuit.

As others have said in the past, The National is many times more about seeing old collecting friends than finding cards and memorabilia.

Patrick

Iron Horse
08-04-2015, 02:55 PM
I was there once many years ago for the national. Don't recall the year( in the 80's mid to late) remember the Trump hotel was not done yet to but i was young lol
Wish it would come to the west coast at some point
From what i recall it was a good show, and the dealer i was helping back then he put the cash in his shoes till we walked back to our hotel.

peterose4hof
08-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Why do people not like Atlantic City? Is it just because of airports and no direct flights? Or is there something I'm missing?

No direct flights is one of the main reasons. Also, no major league sports teams is a turn-off for me. I like to go to baseball games during my National trips. (Wrigley/Camden Yards, etc)

I've heard, but not experienced 1st hand that there is a lack of parking near the Convention Center and the hotels are pricey on the weekends.

MVSNYC
08-04-2015, 03:13 PM
A true "National" collector's event, should be rotated evenly over time...East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, South, etc...a decade of Chicago, Cleveland, Chicago, Chicago, Cleveland, Chicago, BALTIMORE, Chicago, Cleveland, ATLANTIC CITY, Chicago, etc...isn't exactly evenly rotated. There has to be great venues in other parts of the country.

I'd love to see Los Angeles, NYC, Dallas, etc. added to the mix...I am excited about AC, and happy to see that they are trying to mix it up. Will be fun.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
08-04-2015, 03:14 PM
For those that went to the Anaheim CA show was it good/bad?

bigtrain
08-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I will definitely be there for a day or two. In fact, I think we should all plan on visiting our friend, Octavio on Long Beach Island. I am sure that he wouldn't mind a couple of hundred guests. LOL.

iwantitiwinit
08-04-2015, 03:22 PM
It'll be my first national and if I roll'em well I hoping to buy something big!!

rjackson44
08-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Tom no issues its a big house

Iron Horse
08-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Hi A.J.
I did go to the Anaheim National. Found it to be great as a collector. Not sure what the dealers would say.
Hope it returns to this side of the US one of these years.
Plenty of things to do for the families as well in Southern California

conor912
08-04-2015, 03:27 PM
A true "National" collector's event, should be rotated evenly over time...East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, South, etc...a decade of Chicago, Cleveland, Chicago, Chicago, Cleveland, Chicago, BALTIMORE, Chicago, Cleveland, ATLANTIC CITY, Chicago, etc...isn't exactly evenly rotated. There has to be great venues in other parts of the country.

I'd love to see Los Angeles, NYC, Dallas, etc. added to the mix...I am excited about AC, and happy to see that they are trying to mix it up. Will be fun.

+1

Currently, it's the equivilant of having the Super Bowl in the same 3 cities over and over. It would motivate me a lot more to so to, say, Chicago, if I knew it wasn't going to go back there for another 10 years. It's like that overpriced card you really want on eBay....some day you might pull the trigger, but it's not going anywhere so no need for any urgencey.

Seattle doesn't need any more congestion, but Portland could be really cool, as well as NorCal.

packs
08-04-2015, 03:30 PM
While I was still living in SF I always wondered why the National never came out there. The Cow Palace hosts a huge Tristar show every year.

Jay Wolt
08-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Its funny Atlantic City gets the nod for a National again, believe 2016 is their 3rd one.
Yet Las Vegas never gets consideration. Its much easier to fly to, there's a ton of hotels
a huge convention center, great food, an array of shows & concerts and a minor league club just off the strip.
Plenty for the family to do while you're at the card show.

bigtrain
08-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Tom no issues its a big house

I will be happy to bring a keg.

oldjudge
08-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Atlantic City could be the worst possible location for the National. Either leave it in Chicago every year, or find some decent venues. Baltimore was great, but how about some place in Texas, Las Vegas, Anaheim or LA? Atlantic City is difficult to get to and a dying pit.

the-illini
08-04-2015, 03:38 PM
A true "National" collector's event, should be rotated evenly over time...East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, South, etc...

That's fine but there are better choices than Atlantic City IMO.

MVSNYC
08-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Chris, I do agree. Though I'm happy to have it on the east coast next year, and I am not one who minds that it is in AC...I do agree there has to be better choices on the east coast going forward.

toppcat
08-04-2015, 04:04 PM
I expect to be there, possibly even for a fourth night this time. All in all though, the location is not ideal.

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-04-2015, 04:07 PM
St. Louis, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, Denver, etc are just a few places that I can think of which might serve as good venues....bright, sunny places with baseball teams (mostly) I realize some of these places have hosted a few years back.

vthobby
08-04-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm giving the trip serious consideration as it is a reasonable car or train ride from DC. Maybe even confuse my wife to join me if we can find something to do with Daisy (our French bulldog who brings new meaning to the term "frisky").

Don't laugh but go to this link:

http://www.bringfido.com/lodging/city/atlantic_city_nj_us/

There are a few nice hotels in AC that are pet friendly and if that gets you all to AC then go baby go! :)

Peace, Mike

conor912
08-04-2015, 04:14 PM
I can't help but wonder if the promoters have just gotten complacent. I mean, I know there's a ton of factors that go into where it's held, but vetting a new city and venue with new staff and convention center configurations to figure out must be a lot of work. Going back and forth between the same 3 cities seems like the easiest (and arguably laziest) way to do it as far as work for the promoters goes. If it ain't broke.....

vthobby
08-04-2015, 04:21 PM
I have been to an AC show WAY back when and I just remember that Union workers controlled what went into the show and when. They had to cart it in for you and I think they expected tips?

Please someone correct me if I'm off base as this was way back in High School and I worked for a dealer that did a big AC show and that sticks in my mind as being a bit uncomfortable since we could not bring our own stuff in. Union controlled the movements.

Has this changed?

Mike

Steve_NY
08-04-2015, 04:21 PM
As always, I will be close to the front door at booth 451. I have done all three of the New Jersey Nationals and have done decently at all of them. The same collectors make it to all of the Nationals for the largest selection of sports card merchandise every year. I don't expect that to change next year. I plan on making a large display of non sports and sports cards -- cards, unopened packs, boxes. empty boxes and uncut card sheets. I am on the prowl for more of the same so keep me in mind.

I plan on having a terrific show, and hope that many of the people who are considering not attending will change their mind. It is to their advantage to show up and see what we all have found during the current year. I am always on the search for new items. Don't miss out just because you have a bad feeling about A.C. If you put up a great display, you will do fine. The last 33 years of setting up at Nationals speak for themselves.

Thanks for making Chicago another great year for Mitch and me.

Steve Sabow
DynamicTwo@aol.com
914-522-3853 (Cell)

Jobu
08-04-2015, 04:24 PM
I hope that Johnny V's table is next to the Topps guys, I am dying to see which one will be louder. :D

ibuysportsephemera
08-04-2015, 04:43 PM
I can't wait. I will be there for at least 3 of the days and am looking forward to the Net54 dinner.

Jeff

08-04-2015, 04:50 PM
I hope that Johnny V's table is next to the Topps guys, I am dying to see which one will be louder. :D

Now that was funny. :D

SMPEP
08-04-2015, 05:14 PM
No chance I go. AC is a dump. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to go to that location or think it will be more successful than Cleveland. As far as I'm concerned, they might as well cancel the Nationals next year.

bigfanNY
08-04-2015, 05:26 PM
I will go and if Yankees are at Home or in Baltimore I will be happy to organize a small (20-50 folks) outing to the game (not on net 54 dinner night) for those who still enjoy going to a live playing of the best game ever invented. one thing A/C has is Lots of nice Buses. And one thing the AL east has is great Baseball.

Jaybird
08-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Sounds like too much work Rich, someone just tell me what to do.

Go. You can gamble there as well. Hopefully they approve sports betting by next summer.

I'm going for the full week, renting a place at the beach (Ocean City) and bringing the family.

CharleyBrown
08-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Definitely going - it will be my first National.

Jewish-collector
08-04-2015, 06:21 PM
There was a vote for the 2016 National between Anaheim and Atlantic City. Many of the dealers voted Atlantic City (which won the vote of course) since the dealers didn't want the west coast site. The reason Atlantic City was even considered in this last vote was because basically the National show promoters will pay next to nothing for the Atlantic City convention center for next years National. The 2003 National was horrible for dealers according to what most of the dealers honestly said. But, they were willing to try it again.

I personally think the Atlantic City show will be a total disaster, for a variety of reasons, many logistical. Most west coast collectors will not attend, so that will eliminate a lot of those collectors. I guess the one good thing is that most New Yorkers and Philly guys who went to the Baltimore shows by car or train, will definately drive or take a train to the Atlantic City show. So, the show will look very similar to the Baltimore National in terms of attendees.

I plan to be there the entire time. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif

bwbc917
08-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Long drive and too cheap to fly. I'll pass on the 2016.

CurtisFlood
08-04-2015, 06:57 PM
I initially thought about skipping next year, but changed my mind while at the Chicago show. I will be set up at table 153 in AC.

If this is as successful as the Baltimore and Cleveland venues were I will be one happy camper. I don't do this for a living like some do, so there is no pressure to sell X amount of dollars worth of material.

Haven't been in New Jersey since I was in the Navy and we off loaded ammunition at the Earl, NJ pier prior to decommissioning the USS Wasp in 1972.

Econteachert205
08-04-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm going with a jersey friend, going to hit the craps tables. He said I'm on my own for the baseball cards.

bcornell
08-04-2015, 07:18 PM
AC is a terrible choice for a National. Even if you're in Philadelphia or New York, it's a 2-hour commute; from anywhere else, it's a full day trip. And then you're in AC.

I griped on another thread about how badly this event is run. If you need proof, this location is it. The guys running this event have become greedy and clueless.

Bill

egri
08-04-2015, 07:26 PM
AC is about a five hour drive from where I live. If I can get the time off of work I'll definitely be there.

bcbgcbrcb
08-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Well, I moved from NJ to Florida in the middle of 2015, just in time for the National to come to AC in 2016. I won't bother making the trip, things should have worked out better for me to have stayed in NJ..........

Bocabirdman
08-04-2015, 07:52 PM
I will probably still go but picking a city that you cannot even directly fly into seems pretty silly to me.

Not looking forward to a flight and then driving to get to Atlantic City. Also, I would never go there if it wasn't for the show.

You guys do know that there is an airport in A.C., right?

I just checked. I can fly from Fort Lauderdale nonstop to AC for $176 roundtrip.

mrvster
08-04-2015, 07:57 PM
AC will be great! just show up!:D

mybestbretts
08-04-2015, 08:06 PM
It seems all the people that are happy live on the East coast.
To be quite honest, I think its a shame it isn't centrally located
so its at least located where more people can get to it in a reasonable
time.
It seems short sited to place it on either coast. But then, you have all
these people that say they will be going, so maybe they will make up
for the people that won't???

joeadcock
08-04-2015, 08:21 PM
St. Louis, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, Denver, etc are just a few places that I can think of which might serve as good venues....bright, sunny places with baseball teams (mostly) I realize some of these places have hosted a few years back.

Hey Robert. My first National was at Atlanta, Georgia in 1992, and it was a cool show. Not a bad place to go and then can see the Braves play. Not sure why avoidance of the south.

pariah1107
08-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Apparently to organizers of "The National", baseball card collecting does not exist west of the Mississippi. No Nationals nearby through 2019..... Did Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle run out of convention spaces available? Oh well, rather go to the twice annual WSSCA show anyway! No loudspeakers, other than the raised voices of excited collectors :)

almostdone
08-04-2015, 08:34 PM
I was at a mid size show two weeks ago in Raleigh NC. A lot of the dealers there were headed to Chicago for the National as soon as it was over. In talking to them I didn't find one dealer there who is a fixture at selling at the National that plans on going to Atlantic City next year. One dealer said it will be the first one he will miss since he started setting up and selling 22 years ago. The reasons? No good flights (as mentioned), terrible family city, poor security during last one, tables way too expensive when the promoters got a "steal on the venue", expensive accommodations, etc.
I've never been to a National but would love to cast my vote to bring it down south for all us neglected collectors.:D
Drew

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-04-2015, 08:43 PM
How far out is the National 's location decided? Do we know yet where it will be held in 2017?

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Hey Robert. My first National was at Atlanta, Georgia in 1992, and it was a cool show. Not a bad place to go and then can see the Braves play. Not sure why avoidance of the south.

I would love to see it a little further south of course, just like those close to NJ are pleased about AC. I wish it were rotated in some of the cities I suggested (which would give folks in all parts of the country home field advantage every once in awhile ) from year to year or located in the same central location every year.

Jay Wolt
08-04-2015, 08:51 PM
How far out is the National 's location decided? Do we know yet where it will be held in 2017?
Chicago

BearBailey
08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Will definitely be there, the National is what you make it, it stinks there is no Major League Baseball team there but otherwise if you are going for the show you will love it.

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks, that's a while away but I hope to be there!

t206hound
08-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Apparently to organizers of "The National", baseball card collecting does not exist west of the Mississippi. No Nationals nearby through 2019..... Did Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle run out of convention spaces available? Oh well, rather go to the twice annual WSSCA show anyway! No loudspeakers, other than the raised voices of excited collectors :)

Here's why... 50% of the U.S. population lives within 500 miles of Columbus Ohio. That's why there's the general alternating between Chicago and Cleveland... And why the west coast won't (regularly) get it.
http://homes-columbus.com/2012/03/7-reasons-to-live-in-columbus-ohio/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pariah1107
08-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks Erick, great info. I did not realize Ohio was the center of the universe ;)

btcarfagno
08-04-2015, 09:10 PM
I will most likely go because it is the national and all. I live in New Jersey and can find very few reasons to make the two hour drive to AC. Ever. Absolute hole of a town. Makes Camden look like Sesame Street.

Tom C

Bocabirdman
08-04-2015, 09:25 PM
I will most likely go because it is the national and all. I live in New Jersey and can find very few reasons to make the two hour drive to AC. Ever. Absolute hole of a town. Makes Camden look like Sesame Street.

Tom C

Come on Tom ....Just stay away from Baltic, Mediterranean, Vermont and Oriental Aves. You've played Monopoly......:eek::D:)

Jewish-collector
08-04-2015, 09:29 PM
The short version is that the National will rotate forever between Chicago & Cleveland with another city thrown in once every 3 or 4 years. Next year for Atlantic City is that "another city". The National hasn't confirmed any other "another city" yet.

brass_rat
08-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Drew pointed this out, but AC is definitely not family friendly. The show promoters should be doing everything they can to promote card collecting to families and young children. Hosting the show in a rundown, unsafe city is not putting them in a position to be successful in doing so.

I will be attending, but I would much rather go to any of the other cities recommended in this thread. (Vegas, Seattle, etc...and I live on the east coast!)

Steve

porkchops
08-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I'll be taking the train ..... can't get easier that that .
Ken

kmac32
08-04-2015, 10:29 PM
I would definitely vote for a West Coast venue. San Diego, Los Angeles, Vegas, Phoenix all would be awesome. Atlantic City, not so much. I have been to Downtown Chicago in the late 80's, Rosemont, and Cleveland so why not one on the West coast. San Diego has Comic Con so why not the national? My 2 cents worth.

detroitbaseball
08-04-2015, 11:06 PM
As far as I know this information is 100% correct. If I'm wrong don't hesitate to speak up.

There have been 36 Nationals to date in 13 different cities.

National Sports Collectors Convention locations:

(the numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of times that that city has held the National to that date)

1980 Los Angeles, California
1981 Detroit, Michigan
1982 St. Louis, Missouri
1983 Chicago, Illinois
1984 Parsippany, New Jersey
1985 Anaheim, California
1986 Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
1987 San Francisco, California
1988 Atlantic City, New Jersey
1989 Chicago, Illinois (2)
1990 Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas (2)
1991 Anaheim, California (2)
1992 Atlanta, Georgia
1993 Chicago, Illinois (3)
1994 Houston, Texas
1995 St. Louis, Missouri (2)
1996 Anaheim, California (3)
1997 Cleveland, Ohio
1998 Chicago, Illinois (4)
1999 Atlanta, Georgia (2)
2000 Anaheim, California (4)
2001 Cleveland, Ohio (2)
2002 Chicago, Illinois (5)
2003 Atlantic City, New Jersey (2)
2004 Cleveland, Ohio (3)
2005 Chicago, Illinois (6)
2006 Anaheim, California (5)
2007 Cleveland, Ohio (4)
2008 Chicago, Illinois (7)
2009 Cleveland, Ohio (5)
2010 Baltimore, Maryland
2011 Chicago, Illinois (8)
2012 Baltimore, Maryland (2)
2013 Chicago, Illinois (9)
2014 Cleveland, Ohio (6)
2015 Chicago, Illinois (10)

2016 Atlantic City, New Jersey (3)
2017 Chicago, Illinois (11)
2018 Cleveland, Ohio (7)
2019 Chicago, Illinois (12)
2020 Cleveland, Ohio (8)

Totals to date:

Chicago (10)
Cleveland (6)
Anaheim (5)
Atlantic City (2)
St. Louis (2)
Dallas-Fort Worth (2)
Atlanta (2)
Baltimore (2)
Los Angeles (1)
Detroit (1)
Parsippany (1)
San Francisco (1)
Houston (1)

----------

Mid West (19)
West Coast (7)
East Coast (5)
South (5)
<p>

MVSNYC
08-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Cool research, Kevin. The first 20-ish years of the show, exhibits great variety and a nice balance...I wish that was able to be maintained on an ongoing basis.

pariah1107
08-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Great stats Kevin. I retract my earlier statement. Apparently they know some card collectors ARE west of the Mississippi but really don't care since 2006.

Jewish-collector
08-05-2015, 03:27 AM
Thank you Kevin. You can see (except for 2006), around 2001 is when it stopped going anywhere west of Chicago.

x2drich2000
08-05-2015, 05:32 AM
I will be planning to attend next year in AC since it is only a 2 hour drive for me. Doing a quick check, the AC airport looks to have direct flights, at least seasonally, from both Chicago and Atlanta http://www.sjta.com/acairport/routes.asp and it looks like there is rail service from Philly to AC as well.

In addition, here is a list I put together of where the dealers from this year's national are from (taken from the NSCC website - http://nsccshow.com/images/2015%20Images/Final%20Exhibitor%20List%207-22.pdf). From this list, it seems explainable to me why the National has been staying in the East/Mid.

East 92 - 29.3%
CT 7
DE 1
MA 4
MD 6
ME 2
NH 1
NJ 22
NY 28
PA 19
VT 2

Mid 100 - 31.9%
IA 4
IL 35
IN 9
KY 2
MI 13
MN 8
MO 8
OH 12
WI 9

North 6 - 1.9%
CAN 3
Cana 3

South 73 - 23.3%
AR 3
FL 20
GA 9
LA 1
NC 13
TN 5
TX 12
VA 10

West 43 - 13.7%
AZ 6
CA 18
CO 4
ID 1
KS 2
ND 1
NE 1
NM 1
NV 3
OK 3
OR 1
WA 2

Grand Total 314

boysblue
08-05-2015, 05:32 AM
I was in AC back in 2003 and will be back again next year. Looking forward to it.

Hot Springs Bathers
08-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Several organizations I have been members of over the years use a East-Central-West-Central-East-Central-West rotation.

That way East and West members feel that they can make 2 out of every 3 conventions.

I would suggest Las Vegas as a West location, not many local dealers but very easy and inexpensive to fly to!

vthobby
08-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Drew pointed this out, but AC is definitely not family friendly. The show promoters should be doing everything they can to promote card collecting to families and young children. Hosting the show in a rundown, unsafe city is not putting them in a position to be successful in doing so.

I will be attending, but I would much rather go to any of the other cities recommended in this thread. (Vegas, Seattle, etc...and I live on the east coast!)

Steve

I have to disagree. I had a conference at the Taj Mahal a couple of years back and took my wife and kids along. They LOVED the beach right outside the back of the casino and spent 2 days enjoying the vast amount of sand and the ocean. They also enjoyed the boardwalk, the arcades, and the variety of food on the boardwalk. I had 1 day off and we all went to the Aquarium which was a blast. To your point about safety, I do agree there. I made sure we stayed in a nice hotel near the beach and I even went so far as to recon the route my family took each day as there are certain areas to avoid but those are very self explanatory once you get there. With a little common sense, healthy precaution, your family can have a good, safe time in AC. In a way, it is like Baltimore, stay in a certian section (wharf/Camden Yards area) and you will have a blast. Venture out too far and your protective sixth sense kicks into overdrive! As always, common sense always rules the day wherever you are.

Mike

PS Most folks think Orlando, Florida is the safest family destination around when in fact, the FBI has concluded recently that Orlando is the second most dangerous city in all of Florida for crimes against. It is a crazy world we live in!

Jewish-collector
08-05-2015, 07:06 AM
I just don't think AC will be a successful National. One important thing is that many guys want to see a MLB game while at the National. That works in Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore and other places. Can't do it easily in AC.

Maddog
08-05-2015, 07:15 AM
I missed the last one in AC due to work but definitely plan on making the looong hike over this time around:D:D

packs
08-05-2015, 07:15 AM
If you want to catch a game Philly is only an hour away.

cracker_jack
08-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Are the dates set for the show?

Mike (18colt)
08-05-2015, 07:48 AM
I went in 2003. It was my first National. Loved it!

The Borgata had just opened a month earlier, so I stayed there with my wife and then 2-month old daughter. I did the show one day and didn't drive (shuttle). Next day, my wife did the spa and I watched my child. Yes, casino was a nice touch, too, but briefly for me.

Beach right there. Boardwalk. Phillies not far away. Lakewood and Camden have minor league teams. Family friendly can't just be "put them in a big city". Kids don't enjoy a whole lot of that - the novelty wears off quickly. Plus, cities are expensive. I know AC is in NJ, but relatively cheaper than going to Chicago.

Casino concerns? Hasn't seemed to stop those from going to Valley Forge (Philly/Ft. Washington show). Casino walking distance to convention center.

I haven't been to a National since 2003. I can't justify to the wife the cost of airfare and hotel versus more cards bought online and staying home. I'll be in AC!

basesareempty
08-05-2015, 07:50 AM
I have to disagree. I had a conference at the Taj Mahal a couple of years back and took my wife and kids along. They LOVED the beach right outside the back of the casino and spent 2 days enjoying the vast amount of sand and the ocean. They also enjoyed the boardwalk, the arcades, and the variety of food on the boardwalk. I had 1 day off and we all went to the Aquarium which was a blast. To your point about safety, I do agree there. I made sure we stayed in a nice hotel near the beach and I even went so far as to recon the route my family took each day as there are certain areas to avoid but those are very self explanatory once you get there. With a little common sense, healthy precaution, your family can have a good, safe time in AC. In a way, it is like Baltimore, stay in a certian section (wharf/Camden Yards area) and you will have a blast. Venture out too far and your protective sixth sense kicks into overdrive! As always, common sense always rules the day wherever you are.

Mike

PS Most folks think Orlando, Florida is the safest family destination around when in fact, the FBI has concluded recently that Orlando is the second most dangerous city in all of Florida for crimes against. It is a crazy world we live in!

I plan to stay at one of the casino hotels which are much safer than the dumps on the outskirts of the city. They have a bus system in AC called the Jitney which goes all around AC which I have found safe in the past. Not 100% sure if it goes to the convention center but I would think it does.

peterose4hof
08-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Here's Mike Berkus in a 2013 Beckett interview.

Beckett: Why isn’t the National on the West Coast?

Mike Berkus: Because no facility will have us. You can put that in the headline and I hope the facilities read it. I would like to have $20 for every hour I spend calling them or being in meetings with them. No one will have us if we want to plan it more than two years out.

basesareempty
08-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Here's Mike Berkus in a 2013 Beckett interview.

Beckett: Why isn’t the National on the West Coast?

Mike Berkus: Because no facility will have us. You can put that in the headline and I hope the facilities read it. I would like to have $20 for every hour I spend calling them or being in meetings with them. No one will have us if we want to plan it more than two years out.

I don't understand why Convention Centers would not want an event booked more than 2 years out. So it doesn't seem that a lack of effort on the part of Mike Berkus is the reason for on west coast National. I wonder if this is the policy for Las Vegas?

t206hound
08-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Are the dates set for the show?

August 3-7

bcornell
08-05-2015, 09:22 AM
I don't understand why Convention Centers would not want an event booked more than 2 years out. So it doesn't seem that a lack of effort on the part of Mike Berkus is the reason for on west coast National. I wonder if this is the policy for Las Vegas?

Every time in the past few years that there was a board dinner during the National, Mike Berkus has repeated this same sad line. I cannot believe that this is the only show that is trying to book several years in advance. What other conventions are forced to use Cleveland and Atlantic City when they're not in Rosemont? C'mon.

The best solution (if you think there's a problem, that is) would be to permanently park the show in Chicago.

Bill

ibuysportsephemera
08-05-2015, 09:26 AM
My 22 year old daughter and her boyfriend just spent 3 days in AC. They stayed at the Sheraton and went to some local beaches. They went to a few Casinos and restaurants. They said that it was fine and they never felt unsafe.

Jeff

packs
08-05-2015, 09:42 AM
As someone who has been to Atlantic City a thousand times, I have never once felt unsafe or been worried. You really only have to deal with sketchy situations late at night. But common sense usually prevails. Don't leave a casino at 2:00 am and go walking around causing a scene, for example. Most casinos have private security on hand to walk anyone to their car who requests it as well.

The beaches are great and the boardwalk is cool too. Or at least it was. I haven't been down there since Sandy (moved tot he West Coast for a while). Casinos themselves are great of course and there is usually always a deal to be had on hotel rooms. Mostly because they aren't looking to make money off you on the hotel room, they just want you there to gamble.

the-illini
08-05-2015, 09:49 AM
This may be a silly question but why does the National have to be booked 3 years in advance?

Rich Klein
08-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Because of the size, the hotel rooms needed, etc. This is not like 1985 when we had the National in the Disneyland Hotel

Rich

tbob
08-05-2015, 11:06 AM
As others have said in the past, The National is many times more about seeing old collecting friends than finding cards and memorabilia.
Patrick>>

Agree 100%.
The airport thing bothers me. I couldn't find any flight from Fort Smith/Dallas to Atlantic City on American or Delta. If I can't fly there, I'm out.
Two of the best Nationals I have ever attended were in Dallas/Arlington and St. Louis. I think the powers that be are really missing the boat by not including these two cities.
tbob

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-05-2015, 11:21 AM
I also looked into those same flights. The only option I found from here was flying into Philly. Probably not happening for me. Chicago in 2017

buymycards
08-05-2015, 11:28 AM
I plan on going. It will be a long drive from Wisconsin, but it will be worth the drive to get some fresh seafood.

bobbyw8469
08-05-2015, 11:43 AM
I think I will never go to a National. If I want overpriced cards, I will just buy from the handful of Ebay sellers that have been rehashed through ever card forum message board for years. Everyone knows who they are.

toppcat
08-05-2015, 11:51 AM
You can take the train from 30th St Station in Philly for $10, which is what I will probably do. I believe it lets you off right near the convention center:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-c122798/Philadelphia:Pennsylvania:How.To.Get.To.Atlantic.C ity.From.Philly.html

You can also take a SEPTA train from the airport to 30th St Station for $8.

t206blogcom
08-05-2015, 12:17 PM
I'll definitely try to make AC next year.

Wish the National would come to DC, but I'm sure that's too costly. Perhaps Richmond?

Jewish-collector
08-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Here is a listing of size of convention centers. So these will suffice for the size requirements. Note that Atlantic City is one of the smaller ones. Column headings are Name, Location, Exhibition space, and Total space.

McCormick Place Chicago, Illinois 2,670,000 sq ft (248,000 m2)[7]
Orange County Convention Center Orlando, Florida 2,100,000 sq ft (200,000 m2). 7,000,000 sq ft (650,000 m2)[8]
Georgia World Congress Center Atlanta, Georgia 1,500,000 sq ft (140,000 m2) 3,900,000 sq ft (360,000 m2)[9]
Las Vegas Convention Center Winchester, Nevada 2,182,167 sq ft (202,729.9 m2)[10] 3,200,000 sq ft (300,000 m2)[11]
Ernest N. Morial Convention Center New Orleans, Louisiana 1,100,000 sq ft (100,000 m2) 3,100,000 sq ft (290,000 m2)
San Diego Convention Center San Diego, California 615,700 sq ft (57,200 m2) 2,600,000 sq ft (240,000 m2)[12]
Cobo Center Detroit, Michigan 722,500 sq ft (67,120 m2) 2,400,000 sq ft (220,000 m2)
Walter E. Washington Convention Center Washington, D.C. 703,000 sq ft (65,300 m2) 2,300,000 sq ft (210,000 m2)[13]
Sands Expo and Convention Center Paradise, Nevada 2,250,000 sq ft (209,000 m2)[14]
International Exposition Center (I-X Center) Cleveland, Ohio 1,000,000 sq ft (93,000 m2) 2,200,000 sq ft (200,000 m2)[15]
Colorado Convention Center Denver, Colorado 584,000 sq ft (54,300 m2) 2,200,000 sq ft (200,000 m2)
Dallas Convention Center Dallas, Texas 1,000,000 sq ft (93,000 m2) 2,000,000 sq ft (190,000 m2)
George R. Brown Convention Center Houston, Texas 853,000 sq ft (79,200 m2) 1,800,000 sq ft (170,000 m2)
Jacob K. Javits Convention Center New York City, New York 840,000 sq ft (78,000 m2)[16] 1,800,000 sq ft (170,000 m2)[17]
Mandalay Bay Convention Center Paradise, Nevada 1,700,000 sq ft (160,000 m2)[18]
Greater Columbus Convention Center Columbus, Ohio 426,000 sq ft (39,600 m2) 1,700,000 sq ft (160,000 m2)
Anaheim Convention Center Anaheim, California 815,000 sq ft (75,700 m2)[19] 1,600,000 sq ft (150,000 m2)
David L. Lawrence Convention Center Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 330,000 sq ft (31,000 m2) 1,450,000 sq ft (135,000 m2)
Reliant Center Houston, Texas 706,000 sq ft (65,600 m2) 1,400,000 sq ft (130,000 m2)
Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center San Antonio, Texas 440,000 sq ft (41,000 m2) 1,300,000 sq ft (120,000 m2)
Baltimore Convention Center Baltimore, Maryland 425,000 sq ft (39,500 m2) 1,225,000 sq ft (113,800 m2)
Music City Center Nashville, Tennessee 350,000 sq ft (33,000 m2) 1,200,000 sq ft (110,000 m2)
Kentucky Exposition Center Louisville, Kentucky 1,200,000 sq ft (110,000 m2)
Hawai'i Convention Center Honolulu, Hawaii 1,100,000 sq ft (100,000 m2)
Cleveland Convention Center and Global Center for Health Innovation Cleveland, Ohio 767,000 sq ft (71,300 m2) 1,002,000 sq ft (93,100 m2)[20]
Oregon Convention Center Portland, Oregon 255,000 sq ft (23,700 m2) 1,000,000 sq ft (93,000 m2)
Pennsylvania Convention Center Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 679,000 sq ft (63,100 m2) 1,000,000 sq ft (93,000 m2)
Miami Beach Convention Center Miami Beach, Florida 502,000 sq ft (46,600 m2) 1,000,000 sq ft (93,000 m2)
Boston Convention and Exhibition Center Boston, Massachusetts 516,000 sq ft (47,900 m2) 976,000 sq ft (90,700 m2)
Phoenix Convention Center Phoenix, Arizona 312,000 sq ft (29,000 m2) 900,000 sq ft (84,000 m2)
Austin Convention Center Austin, Texas 246,092 sq ft (22,862.7 m2) 881,400 sq ft (81,880 m2)
Donald E. Stephens Convention Center Rosemont, Illinois 840,000 sq ft (78,000 m2)
Los Angeles Convention Center Los Angeles, California 720,000 sq ft (67,000 m2) 867,000 sq ft (80,500 m2)
Indiana Convention Center Indianapolis, Indiana 1,300,000 sq ft (120,000 m2)
Moscone Convention Center San Francisco, California 700,000 sq ft (65,000 m2)
Tampa Convention Center Tampa, Florida 600,000 sq ft (56,000 m2)
America's Center St. Louis, Missouri 523,000 sq ft (48,600 m2)
Salt Palace Convention Center Salt Lake City, Utah 515,000 sq ft (47,800 m2) 679,000 sq ft (63,100 m2)
Atlantic City Convention Center Atlantic City, New Jersey 500,000 sq ft (46,000 m2)
Raleigh Convention Center Raleigh, North Carolina 150,000 sq ft (14,000 m2) 500,000 sq ft (46,000 m2)
Bartle Hall Convention Center Kansas City, Missouri 388,000 sq ft (36,000 m2)
Reno-Sparks Convention Center Reno, Nevada 381,000 sq ft (35,400 m2)
Charlotte Convention Center Charlotte, North Carolina 280,000 sq ft (26,000 m2)
Prime F. Osborn III Convention Center Jacksonville, Florida 265,000 sq ft (24,600 m2)
Wisconsin Center Milwaukee, Wisconsin 226,201 sq ft (21,014.8 m2)
Washington State Convention and Trade Center Seattle, Washington 205,700 sq ft (19,110 m2)[21]
Hynes Convention Center Boston, Massachusetts 193,000 sq ft (17,900 m2)
Roland E. Powell Convention Center Ocean City, Maryland 182,200 sq ft (16,930 m2)
Connecticut Convention Center Hartford, Connecticut 140,000 sq ft (13,000 m2) 191,500 sq ft (17,790 m2)
San Jose Convention Center San Jose, California 143,

Runscott
08-05-2015, 01:17 PM
If it were in Alpine, Texas my guess is that people who lived near Alpine, Texas would be very happy and would tell us what a great time we would have. And we probably would. But there are better places to have a National than Alpine, Texas and there are better places to have it than Atlantic City. Unfortunately, politics and money drive everything in the United States, so look forward to more nationals in Atlantic City and Cleveland and none in places that seemingly make great sense...other than Chicago...because of money and politics.

ibuysportsephemera
08-05-2015, 01:26 PM
If it were in Alpine, Texas my guess is that people who lived near Alpine, Texas would be very happy and would tell us what a great time we would have. And we probably would. But there are better places to have a National than Alpine, Texas and there are better places to have it than Atlantic City. Unfortunately, politics and money drive everything in the United States, so look forward to more nationals in Atlantic City and Cleveland and none in places that seemingly make great sense...other than Chicago...because of money and politics.

I agree with you Scott...But I am pretty darn happy that I can drive 3.5 hours to go to a National! My only other National was in Baltimore (because I could drive to it).

Jeff

packs
08-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Is NYC just too expensive for a National? Has it ever been in the city? Barclays Center seems like a pretty good venue outside of basketball season.

Runscott
08-05-2015, 01:53 PM
I agree with you Scott...But I am pretty darn happy that I can drive 3.5 hours to go to a National! My only other National was in Baltimore (because I could drive to it).

Jeff

Baltimore would be fantastic for me as well, having children living in D.C.

I'm glad you are getting to go - I think any National is better than not being able to go at all because of logistics. I really had a great time in Cleveland, just because I got to see so many hobby friends - if you aren't a dealer who needs to make money, or a buyer who has some crazy idea that there are no deals to be had at these shows (which is completely erroneous, even if the show IS in Alpine), or someone who just generally refuses to have fun, then you will have fun in Atlantic City.

I might actually make it, just because the dates (Aug 3-8) are good, but probably as a collector/partier rather than a dealer.

Jayworld
08-05-2015, 02:24 PM
The last National I attended was #11, in Arlington (Dallas-Ft. Worth). I remember it being a great show as far as looking, although most dealers would not come off any prices back then. Of course, I imagine that I am in the minority here, as spending several hundred dollars for plane fair, hotel(s), etc. is just not feasible for me. I have a hobby fund; and to finance the hobby, I sell things out of my hobby, etc. (usually duplicates, items I no longer want, need, etc.). So, unless a National comes back to Texas or within driving distance, I won't be able to go.

Having said all this, I'm sure those that do go will have a great time. Because of the 2016 location, would you think that the promoters, etc. (purely conjecture on my part) believe that most attendees, or most serious hobbyists, are located on the East Coast?

mrvster
08-05-2015, 02:52 PM
the negative "nellies" :p

A/C will be what you make it! if everyone thinks it's going to be "beat" , then everyone will stay home.......AC is fine.....you don't even have to leave the boardwalk! your whole family can just stay right on , basically, the boardwalk....the gambling, beach/ocean, food, shows are ridiculously fun.....tell your kids to get boogie boards and do a little surfing......great fishing.....

there are so many buffets you'll gain a few pounds! lol

just don't venture on the outskirts of town.....:)

basesareempty
08-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Hawai'i Convention Center Honolulu, Hawaii 1,100,000 sq ft (100,000 m2)

This gets my vote. If were going to do West Coast, lets go wayyyy West!!!

Rich Klein
08-05-2015, 03:28 PM
The last National I attended was #11, in Arlington (Dallas-Ft. Worth). I remember it being a great show as far as looking, although most dealers would not come off any prices back then. Of course, I imagine that I am in the minority here, as spending several hundred dollars for plane fair, hotel(s), etc. is just not feasible for me. I have a hobby fund; and to finance the hobby, I sell things out of my hobby, etc. (usually duplicates, items I no longer want, need, etc.). So, unless a National comes back to Texas or within driving distance, I won't be able to go.

Having said all this, I'm sure those that do go will have a great time. Because of the 2016 location, would you think that the promoters, etc. (purely conjecture on my part) believe that most attendees, or most serious hobbyists, are located on the East Coast?

Jay:

Come to one of my shows (at a time when we don't have an autograph guest in the room) and I'll talk to you about this. Trust me, there is a lot of variables. Besides, I have not seen you for many months.

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-05-2015, 03:30 PM

I am in the same boat...

Deertick
08-05-2015, 04:05 PM
I have been to an AC show WAY back when and I just remember that Union workers controlled what went into the show and when. They had to cart it in for you and I think they expected tips?

Please someone correct me if I'm off base as this was way back in High School and I worked for a dealer that did a big AC show and that sticks in my mind as being a bit uncomfortable since we could not bring our own stuff in. Union controlled the movements.

Has this changed?

Mike

It was this way for the 500HR show. I went to help a buddy load/unload. Was surprised they allowed us to unpack and setup the tables. I remember a lot of yelling. But I was walking dead from the night before, so it was good for me. :D

Something must have happened because when it came time to leave, they were there IF you needed them. Probably had something to do with the Chicken Man blowing up..

ibuysportsephemera
08-05-2015, 05:18 PM
I might actually make it, just because the dates (Aug 3-8) are good, but probably as a collector/partier rather than a dealer.

Scott..I do hope you make it, so we can hoist a couple together.

I have been thinking about why I haven't attended more Nationals. I have been in the hobby since the mid 80's. I think it is because almost every year I go to a few Brimfields, Renninger Weekends, Paper Shows, many of the Shows in Westchester, etc. I really didn't feel it was necessary to make it to the National to find the things I am interested in.

Since joining Net54, the incentive is to meet all of the screen names in person. So I look forward to meeting those of you that I haven't met yet, in Atlantic City.

Jeff

judsonhamlin
08-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Can I nominate the Irish Pub on St. James for the Net54 Dinner? It's open 24-7 365 days (except for part of Christmas Day), and while it isn't Michelin rated, the food is serviceable and the beer is cheap.

Jewish-collector
08-05-2015, 06:09 PM
We will need to figure out a good place for a group dinner in Atlantic City.

detroitbaseball
08-05-2015, 08:03 PM
MVSNYC, pariah1107 & Jewish-collector - Thanks guys.

I have never been to the National although I am hoping to go to the 2017 Chicago.

I would think that the National would be held a little more equally throughout the country/nation considering that it is called the National.

Deertick
08-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Can I nominate the Irish Pub on St. James for the Net54 Dinner? It's open 24-7 365 days (except for part of Christmas Day), and while it isn't Michelin rated, the food is serviceable and the beer is cheap.

Spent many a night there before the casinos were allowed to be open 24hrs! Unless they somehow expanded, is there room for a gathering that large? :confused:

bcornell
08-05-2015, 09:23 PM
A/C will be what you make it! if everyone thinks it's going to be "beat" , then everyone will stay home.......AC is fine.....you don't even have to leave the boardwalk! your whole family can just stay right on , basically, the boardwalk....the gambling, beach/ocean, food, shows are ridiculously fun.....tell your kids to get boogie boards and do a little surfing......great fishing.....

You're not getting it. The point is that AC is a terrible location for anyone who isn't in NY or PA. I have 2 options coming from the Bay Area: 1) take 3 flights (LAX-DET-AC) over about 10 hours or 2) hope that Mark M. is willing to have me go cross country in his car.

BeanTown
08-05-2015, 09:34 PM
You're not getting it. The point is that AC is a terrible location for anyone who isn't in NY or PA. I have 2 options coming from the Bay Area: 1) take 3 flights (LAX-DET-AC) over about 10 hours or 2) hope that Mark M. is willing to have me go cross country in his car.

Berkus and his crew have screwed up this event so badly that I would love to see anyone else take over.

Option 3... Fly straight thru to Atlanta and lets roadtrip there!

mrvster
08-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Airport! direct flight into Newark.......it's a 2 hour drive south from Newark .....or 1 hour from philly.......:)

telling you, AC is fine! no worries....i'll protect you;)

skelly
08-05-2015, 10:19 PM
In reference to post #80. To say that Atlantic City makes Camden look like Sesame Street is insane. Atlantic City has seen better days, but the only place I have ever seen that was as rugged as Camden... Maybe Gary Indiana. The Badlands in North Philly and The area around Dunbar Ave in Baltimore also in the running. I agree with many of the posts that AC is perhaps not ideal, but the are a tremendous amount of collectors within driving distance that will likely attend.

buymycards
08-06-2015, 11:32 AM
I read some interesting info recently. I don't recall if it was from Rich Klein or if it was on the National website.

Chicago requires a commitment of 5000 hotel room bookings. Many other venues, such as NY and Las Vegas, require a guarantee of 10,000 hotel room bookings, and the National cannot make that guarantee.

There are several cities that require union labor to load, unload, and set up. Apparently this could cost each dealer as much as $2000 extra to pay for the union help.

Rick

Runscott
08-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Option 3... Fly straight thru to Atlanta and lets roadtrip there!

I think this is a great idea for west coasters. I do a road trip to North Carolina each year, via a direct flight into Atlanta from Seattle. Granted, NC's not near as far, but if you have 3-4 collectors doing the Atlanta/Atlantic City drive, I think it would be a lot of fun. You also have the option of stopping at antique shops along the way - generally older stuff than you see on the west coast, and many, many more of them. Plus all the culture shock stuff! Could result in a lifetime of interesting memories.

Runscott
08-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Scott..I do hope you make it, so we can hoist a couple together.

I have been thinking about why I haven't attended more Nationals. I have been in the hobby since the mid 80's. I think it is because almost every year I go to a few Brimfields, Renninger Weekends, Paper Shows, many of the Shows in Westchester, etc. I really didn't feel it was necessary to make it to the National to find the things I am interested in.

Since joining Net54, the incentive is to meet all of the screen names in person. So I look forward to meeting those of you that I haven't met yet, in Atlantic City.

Jeff

I went to my first National to buy stuff (and I found lots), but the unexpected biggest plus was meeting so many of my virtual hobby friends. Now I barely even look at cards at the Nationals, other than as museum pieces, but I do end up buying lots of other stuff. As a dealer, it's especially great to have Net 54 members walk up to your table just to meet you - given all the venom the outspoken members are so often subjected to, it's great to get such positive reinforcement.

Cleveland was great in that many of the bigger names in the hobby (auction house personnel, writers, etc) were wandering around more than usual, so I actually was able to meet more people than in Chicago. Also fun to have Al and Ryan right around the corner to reduce boredom :)

the-illini
08-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Airport! direct flight into Newark.......it's a 2 hour drive south from Newark .....or 1 hour from philly.......:)

telling you, AC is fine! no worries....i'll protect you;)

The problem is taking a 2-3 hour flight to Newark then topping that off with a 2 hour drive to AC and then repeating the whole process to get home is a royal pain in the ass, and that is if all the traveling goes off without a hitch.

Cozumeleno
08-06-2015, 12:45 PM
There are several cities that require union labor to load, unload, and set up. Apparently this could cost each dealer as much as $2000 extra to pay for the union help.
Rick

This is absolutely true. In a couple of instances, I've seen trade show organizers not even allow you to plug in your own booth/display if it had lighting. Literally, you had to fill out a work request form and pay someone like $50.00-$100.00 to do come over to your booth and insert a plug into a standard outlet.

$2,000 seems a bit steep based on the trade shows I've coordinated with in the past - typically, my companies wouldn't need more than a few hundred dollars of service. But if you've got a giant display and required a bunch of services (i.e. assembly, etc.), I wouldn't completely rule it out. That could easily be a deterrent for many dealers and the organizers.

Exhibitman
08-06-2015, 12:55 PM
One could take the train to AC. Per the AC web site:

"The NJTransit Rail Terminal is conveniently located within the Convention Center and connects Atlantic City to Philadelphia at 30th Street Station and Amtrak's Northeast corridor lines. For more information, call 1-800-ACTRAIN, or visit their website at www.njtransit.com."

Per NJ Transit:

"NJ TRANSIT offers discounted round-trip excursion fares between New York, Newark, Jersey City and Atlantic City for $39.00. Round-trip tickets must be purchased at New York (Port Authority Bus Terminal), Newark Penn Station, Journal Square in Jersey City or Atlantic City Bus Terminal."

I will probably fly into NY a bit early to visit with family and friends then take the train or the bus into AC. A PITA, sure, but if I can leave from NYC on a direct ride to AC, not as bad as it otherwise might seem.

Rich Klein
08-06-2015, 12:57 PM
I read some interesting info recently. I don't recall if it was from Rich Klein or if it was on the National website.

Chicago requires a commitment of 5000 hotel room bookings. Many other venues, such as NY and Las Vegas, require a guarantee of 10,000 hotel room bookings, and the National cannot make that guarantee.

Rick

Rck:

The article you mentioned was linked to from one of my Rich's Ramblings stories on Atlantic City. My editor, Rich M, interviewed Mike Berkus and that is where you read that information.

toppcat
08-06-2015, 01:04 PM
One could take the train to AC. Per the AC web site:

"The NJTransit Rail Terminal is conveniently located within the Convention Center and connects Atlantic City to Philadelphia at 30th Street Station and Amtrak's Northeast corridor lines. For more information, call 1-800-ACTRAIN, or visit their website at www.njtransit.com."

Per NJ Transit:

"NJ TRANSIT offers discounted round-trip excursion fares between New York, Newark, Jersey City and Atlantic City for $39.00. Round-trip tickets must be purchased at New York (Port Authority Bus Terminal), Newark Penn Station, Journal Square in Jersey City or Atlantic City Bus Terminal."

I will probably fly into NY a bit early to visit with family and friends then take the train or the bus into AC. A PITA, sure, but if I can leave from NYC on a direct ride to AC, not as bad as it otherwise might seem.

Adam, it's almost direct. Amtrak to Philly, connection on NJ Transit to AC I believe but very navigable no matter.

packs
08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
AC is only an hour from Philly, so if you fly into Philly you can take a train into AC. Also most major cities involve driving out from the airport to actually get into the city. SFO is like 45 minutes away from San Francisco.

Enfuego
08-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Looking forward to it!!!

AddieJoss
08-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Spirit Airlines flys direct into Atlantic city. The airport is about 8 miles from the convention center and the casinos. They have dozens of locations that fly in AC.

mrvster
08-12-2015, 08:10 PM
we keep this thread going until the national in anticipation:D

WE WILL MAKE IT AWESOME:p

Beastmode
08-12-2015, 09:47 PM
AC is only an hour from Philly, so if you fly into Philly you can take a train into AC. Also most major cities involve driving out from the airport to actually get into the city. SFO is like 45 minutes away from San Francisco.

Are you comparing SF to AC? that's like comparing a psa 9 to a psa 4.

Beastmode
08-12-2015, 09:54 PM
I wanted to go this year, but had other plans. I plan to go next year and bring my son, but AC is not appealing to me. Honestly, a real crappy location for us west coasters, couldn't be worse. Just about any other city on the eastern seaboard, and we are in.

Wasn't this show in Northern Calif. a long while back. I thought I went to a national in the 80's, but not sure. Maybe it was LA.

I understand it's expensive out West, but pick a spot that we can all get to easily and keep it there. I'm OK with Chicago every year. Seems to me you can drive a better bargain for the attendees if you commit for several years. Onesy/twosy isn't getting any leverage for these guys.

Like every business now, it's all about scaling the costs.

Greg Sonk
08-12-2015, 10:02 PM
I take the train every weekday from Atlantic City to Center City Philadelphia (30th St Station) and back for work, as I live in OCNJ year round (20 minute drive). Even I think it's a less than ideal location to hold a national, but some of you people are taking this way too far.

The train station (NJ Transit) is literally attached to the Convention Center. You don't even have to walk outdoors to get inside. The Sheraton is directly across a street that only carries convention center traffic. All of the casinos have shuttles to and from the train station if you prefer to stay there as well.

Yes, Atlantic City has sections that can be quite rough, but the area immediately around the convention center is completely fine. On the other side of the Sheraton is an area of outlet shopping that is packed on the weekends. I usually take a 4:30 or 6:40 AM train out of AC in the mornings and I have never had or even seen one problem in the years I have had this commute. Again, I get anyone not wanting to go to AC because it's not their thing, but the talk of it being anywhere near Camden is the definition of insanity. You could not pay me to walk around Camden anywhere other than the waterfront.

If anyone has any questions about the train or anything else in the surrounding area, feel free to shoot me a PM. I would be happy to help any way that I can.

wondo
08-13-2015, 04:38 AM
Atlantic City is fine in the area of the convention center, the shopping outlets, boardwalk. I'll be staying at the Borgata casino which is just a shuttle or short cab away.

Maybe someone can hold craps lessons?

MVSNYC
08-13-2015, 05:47 AM
What are the dates for AC? Have they been solidified?

DixieBaseball
08-13-2015, 06:24 AM
I will be traveling from the South to the National for the first time in 3 years next year. I have grown tired of the usual places, like Cleveland, Chicago (I really like Chicago but I have been there too many times), etc. and really look forward to a different venue/location. I am bringing my wife and friend and his wife due to the new venue/location.

I hope they continue to mix it up and pump fresh locations in for the National. Orlando ? Dallas ? Nashville? Charlotte? St. Louis?

basesareempty
08-13-2015, 06:27 AM
I will be traveling from the South to the National for the first time in 3 years next year. I have grown tired of the usual places, like Cleveland, Chicago (I really like Chicago but I have been there too many times), etc. and really look forward to a different venue/location. I am bringing my wife and friend and his wife due to the new venue/location.

I hope they continue to mix it up and pump fresh locations in for the National. Orlando ? Dallas ? Nashville? Charlotte? St. Louis?

Charlotte would be nice. Do they have a venue large enough to host The National?

MVSNYC
08-13-2015, 06:33 AM
Dates?

vintagesportscollector
08-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Agreed. I understand AC may be less than appealing to some, but some of the these travel excuses are BS. The train to AC is quite convenient. Last week I flew into Chicago Midway for work, and it took me another 90 mins to get to my eventual destination in Chicago.

glynparson
08-13-2015, 07:58 AM
As long as you don't go trolling the ghetto areas at two in the morning flashing cash you'll be alright. They are making efforts all around the city to improve it as a family destination. Was just there the past three days and it's no worse than any of the other places I've been to for a national. Plus loads of good places to eat and weekday rooms are very reasonable Friday and Saturday nights can get pricey but there are options now that used to not be there outside the city. Many of the dumps are torn down and replaced with chain hotels.

egri
08-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Charlotte would be nice. Do they have a venue large enough to host The National?

I know Charlotte had a venue large enough to host the DNC a few years ago.

08-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Agreed. I understand AC may be less than appealing to some, but some of the these travel excuses are BS. The train to AC is quite convenient. Last week I flew into Chicago Midway for work, and it took me another 90 mins to get to my eventual destination in Chicago.

What about Butte, Montana? http://www.buttecvb.com/

All kidding aside, we've flown into Midway twice for the National in past years, but flew into O'Hare this year. O'Hare was more expensive, but well worth it. ... And that train to AC can't be that convenient.

packs
08-13-2015, 08:23 AM
Why not? It goes directly there and runs at regular times. It takes a little over an hour and a half. An hour by car.

peterose4hof
08-13-2015, 08:28 AM
What are the dates for AC? Have they been solidified?

Dates?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nscc+show+2016

vintagesportscollector
08-13-2015, 08:29 AM
What about Butte, Montana? http://www.buttecvb.com/

All kidding aside, we've flown into Midway twice for the National in past years, but flew into O'Hare this year. O'Hare was more expensive, but well worth it. ... And that train to AC can't be that convenient.

It's not a hop-skip-jump, but Yes, it is that convenient. The point is far too much has been made of travel. If you don't want to go to the National because you don't like AC or have a negative impression of AC (admittedly, I am not a fan of AC either), then don't go - BUT if you skip it because you feel travel will be too hard, then you will be missing out.

Paul S
08-13-2015, 09:00 AM
It's not a hop-skip-jump, but Yes, it is that convenient. The point is far too much has been made of travel. If you don't want to go to the National because you don't like AC or have a negative impression of AC (admittedly, I am not a fan of AC either), then don't go - BUT if you skip it because you feel travel will be too hard, then you will be missing out.

+1. AC is a gambling mecca: they make things very convenient to get there and once you're there. it's like that old commercial for Roach Motel - "Roaches check in but they don't check out". :eek:I am hoping to make it, would be my first National. :cool: Believe it or not, I might have a more costly and time-consuming travel from Long Island than some of you west of the Mississippi.

packs
08-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Yes, that was the point I was trying to make too.

Jewish-collector
08-13-2015, 12:41 PM
As long as there are good places to eat for dinners & good venues for live music, then I'm happy. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif