PDA

View Full Version : Image of Paul Robeson As Rutgers Catcher

btcarfagno
08-03-2015, 09:04 AM
I have been trying to find out the identity of an African-American player in an integrated team photo that I purchased recently. My efforts led me to the historian at Rutgers university Tom Frusciano. He is helping me as best as he can, and in the meantime he sent the image below of Paul Robeson on the baseball field at Rutgers. Robeson was the catcher on the baseball team for either two or three years between 1915-1918, and was the first to integrate the team.

Just found this to be a fascinating photo, as you hear of his exploits on the football field and throughout his life as an activist, but I had never seen him as a baseball player until now.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/collectiblesgains110/robesonbaseball_zpsa62wzalt.jpg

Tom C

bmarlowe1
08-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Not sure if this is still an issue, but the guy in your photo (in the earlier thread) for sure is not Paul Robeson.

btcarfagno
08-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Not sure if this is still an issue, but the guy in your photo (in the earlier thread) for sure is not Paul Robeson.

Yeah, when I purchased it I knew it couldn't be him as the date is ten years after he had left Rutgers.

Tom C