PDA

View Full Version : The National-From a Vintage Autograph Prospective

tazdmb
08-03-2015, 06:57 AM
I know there are several National Threads out there, but I didn't see any that focused on autographs, so I thought I would share my observations

So I flew out to Chicago for a day trip Saturday, crowds were actually much lower than I expected and saw last year at Cleveland.

1) If you wanted a big name vintage player (Ruth, Mathewson, Cobb)-there were plenty of dealers out there. Since this wasn't my focus, I didn't spend much time at their tables.

2) If you wanted the vintage tough HOF stuff-there were about 3-5 dealers I could find (Kevin Keating, Joshua Tree, Rhys-Prewarsports) with Kevin having the vastest selection.

3) There were few, if any, bargains. The dealers know what they have is rare and even though business didn't seem that brisk-the dealers did not appear to give great deals just to break even for the show expenses. That being said:

4) The dealers I spoke with could not have been any nicer. I spent hours with Rhys, Kevin Keating and Joshua Tree as was delighted to make purchases from all three.

5) NO-ONE I spoke with looked forward to going to Atlantic City next year.

Anyone else go? Would love to read other's opinions/observations. FYI-Here is the nicest piece I saw the entire show, which Kevin had-a team signed 1896? Boston Beaneaters piece w/Selee, Collins, Duffy, Nichols and Hamilton. The asking price was $100K. I apologize for the glare.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x25/tazdmb/selee_zpss8hxew1d.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/tazdmb/media/selee_zpss8hxew1d.jpg.html)

RelicSports
08-03-2015, 07:37 AM
I was there on Saturday as well...decent turn out, but not too crowded, which I enjoyed. I concur that all the dealers seemed very nice and willing to talk. I was at the National last year in Cleveland and didn't seem to remember as many autograph/memorabilia dealers as I noticed this year. All in all, a great show. I hope all dealers and buyers enjoyed and walked away satisfied. Being that I am a Chicagoan, I would love to have the National here as much as possible:)

mighty bombjack
08-03-2015, 01:54 PM
I'm not seeing the photo in the OP, but would love to.

Care to share what you picked up here, or is it in the pick-up thread?

EldoEsq
08-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Lol...well I CANT WAIT until AC next year!!!:D

packs
08-03-2015, 03:00 PM
How come people don't like AC? I'm looking forward to it. I'm in NYC.

tazdmb
08-03-2015, 03:16 PM
How come people don't like AC? I'm looking forward to it. I'm in NYC.

I imagine for people (like myself) it is not near a major airport. I remember the last time it was there, the main headlining guest was....KISS. :p

Plus it is not in a major metropolitan city so families are less likely to come out.

Moyni
08-03-2015, 07:32 PM
I agree with others. I am really looking forward to AC next year.

mschwade
08-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Hi Taz - All three dealers you mentioned are TOP notch. Rhys, I consider a great friend as well as one of the best dealers in the business. I have a greata working relationship with Nitsa and Kevin. They've always been willing to work with me to add great pieces from their inventory to my collection. Although I've never bought from Joshua Tree yet, Adam and his wife are great people as well. I very nearly made the largest autograph purchase I've ever made at last year's national at their booth, but I just couldn't pull the trigger for the amount of money they were wanting. They have great inventory though and they were willing to work with me as well. Needless to say, there's a good reason all three were highlighted in your post. It would be the same way for a lot of people that do their homework at the National. Can't wait to hear what you bought!

packs
08-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Atlantic City is probably a good show to be a buyer. You're going to have gamblers everywhere and they need slot money.

theshleps
08-04-2015, 07:34 AM
I was their Wednesday. I was looking for autographed vintage cards. I didn't see much at all in this category but maybe I missed some. Picked up a 33 Goudey Ott at a good price but that was the only tougher one I saw

obxhouses4rent
11-17-2015, 05:57 AM
Everyone, the closest major airport to AC is Philly. There is a train service, SEPTA right from the airport to AC. Don't even need to rent a car. Some flights go into AC from area airports. Check online. I am only 2 hrs away by car. Can't wait!

whyconform
11-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Philly isn't far at all....

I will attend my first next year...Hoping to meet some of the above mentioned names and check out some items.

1.5 Hrs from me !

rsn1661
11-18-2015, 03:37 PM
I imagine for people (like myself) it is not near a major airport. I remember the last time it was there, the main headlining guest was....KISS. :p

Plus it is not in a major metropolitan city so families are less likely to come out.

My favorite band since the Alive album. Would have gone just to see them.

Exhibitman
11-20-2015, 03:43 PM
I was able to pick up the autograph I'd gone there to get: Wilt Chamberlain on a card from his playing days. I found several but only one that looked nice. He tended to sign in ballpoint across the darker parts of his cards.