PDA

View Full Version : New Member: kevinlenane

kevinlenane
07-29-2015, 03:46 PM
I've already posted several topics here but I noticed the introduction decorum and so I'll back up a bit and introduce myself.

My name is Kevin Lenane and im a tech entrepreneur, I recently sold an adtech company and have had just a bit more time to pick up an old hobby in card collecting.

I voraciously collected cards from 1986 (born in 1980) until about 1993. I paused for two reasons, one I was 13 and heading to boarding school where there real live girls to talk to and two (a reason many are familiar with) 92/93 was the year of set and subset explosion and I was unable to even keep track of all the different versions of Fleer Ultra, Stadium Club etc. and the 15 subsets and inserts in every pack. Flash forward 20 years later and I was on Ebay trying to buy some Patriots gear for my Dad after the Super Bowl and I randomly bought a pack of 1982 Donruss Baseball. As soon as I opened the pack and the smell of bubble gum and the poof wax dust hit me I was right back in it and haven't looked back

Im now building the Ted Williams Master Set (im about 2/3 of the way there with a lot of the big stuff) and more recently Bobby Doerr and Goudey Wide Pens. I also waste a lot of money on older vintage packs and have recently cracked a 1978 Topps Vending box, 1964 Topps Giants Wax Pack, 1951 Topps Red Backs and a TON of 1975 Topps Minis. Im going to my first National on Friday and Im honestly weirding my wife out with how excited I am. Anyway, this board has been super helpful in the short time ive been back in the game. Its a hobby that makes me extremely happy and Im always happy to talk shop with anyone that will listen. Anyway, thats probably enough for now, thanks everyone for your help thus far.

Side note, I IMMENSELY enjoyed the Gizmo thread and am looking forward to examining his booth and persona on Friday. I may post a video for those of you looking to put some meat on the bone.

DeanH3
07-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Welcome to the boards Kevin. Good luck on your collecting goals.

BicycleSpokes
07-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Welcome Kevin, From a fellow junk era kid collector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeGarcia
07-29-2015, 05:44 PM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/TEDBOBBYDOERR_NEW.JPG

...For your viewing pleasure : Bobby Doerr and Bobby Doerr , possibly the first post-war error card.

kevinlenane
07-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Very cool!

clydepepper
07-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Welcome Kevin!

1982 Donruss with bubble gum?

I never actually opened a '82 Donruss, but I always thought Topps was the only company allowed to do that.

trdcrdkid
07-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Welcome Kevin!

1982 Donruss with bubble gum?

I never actually opened a '82 Donruss, but I always thought Topps was the only company allowed to do that.

Fleer and Donruss definitely had gum in their packs in 1981, the first year they put out cards (of current players) after the 1980 court decision that broke Topps's monopoly. I remember it well, because I was 15 and collecting all three. But then Topps went back to court and got a decision saying that only they were allowed to put out baseball cards with gum, which is why Fleer and Donruss subsequently had to package their cards with stickers or puzzle pieces. I thought they had to start doing that in 1982, but it might have been a year later. Or else Kevin actually opened packs of 1981 Donruss.

Harford20
07-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Kevin,
Welcome!

As another Ted Williams collector, I am sure we will have many more discussions in the future.

Dave

As an additional note, Mike, "NICE" W602 Sports Exchange BB Miniature of Ted/Doerr. In MY Ted Master list of 275 cards [Playing years only] (much larger than the, IMO, inadequate PSA Master List of 152 cards), that is one of only 25 more cards I need. Any duplicates?

Hot Springs Bathers
07-30-2015, 06:28 AM
I remember that EVERY 1981 Donruss pack had gum that was stuck like glue to the top card. I also remember opening some of those 17 card packs that only had two different cards in them! In one pack I got 9 Roses and 8 Schmidts. I wrote a letter to the company and about a week later they shipped me a box of gum and six boxes of cards!

mrvster
07-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Welcome aboard!! try on a T206

*WARNING* SUPER ADDICTIVE:D

peace

johnny

kevinlenane
07-30-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks and yes I'm already hooked - I'm doing a day trip out to the national tmrw to buy a lot of vintage wax and Ted Williams. Do you think I'll be able to find any obscure stuff of Teds there? Like a Goudey premium or a Hocus Focus?

tjb1952tjb
08-01-2015, 02:13 AM
I also collect Bobby Doerr cards (#1 PSA Bobby Doerr Master Set). Have fun at the National.............

kevlewis
08-01-2015, 10:30 PM
I've already posted several topics here but I noticed the introduction decorum and so I'll back up a bit and introduce myself.

My name is Kevin Lenane and im a tech entrepreneur, I recently sold an adtech company and have had just a bit more time to pick up an old hobby in card collecting.

I voraciously collected cards from 1986 (born in 1980) until about 1993. I paused for two reasons, one I was 13 and heading to boarding school where there real live girls to talk to and two (a reason many are familiar with) 92/93 was the year of set and subset explosion and I was unable to even keep track of all the different versions of Fleer Ultra, Stadium Club etc. and the 15 subsets and inserts in every pack. Flash forward 20 years later and I was on Ebay trying to buy some Patriots gear for my Dad after the Super Bowl and I randomly bought a pack of 1982 Donruss Baseball. As soon as I opened the pack and the smell of bubble gum and the poof wax dust hit me I was right back in it and haven't looked back

Im now building the Ted Williams Master Set (im about 2/3 of the way there with a lot of the big stuff) and more recently Bobby Doerr and Goudey Wide Pens. I also waste a lot of money on older vintage packs and have recently cracked a 1978 Topps Vending box, 1964 Topps Giants Wax Pack, 1951 Topps Red Backs and a TON of 1975 Topps Minis. Im going to my first National on Friday and Im honestly weirding my wife out with how excited I am. Anyway, this board has been super helpful in the short time ive been back in the game. Its a hobby that makes me extremely happy and Im always happy to talk shop with anyone that will listen. Anyway, thats probably enough for now, thanks everyone for your help thus far.

Side note, I IMMENSELY enjoyed the Gizmo thread and am looking forward to examining his booth and persona on Friday. I may post a video for those of you looking to put some meat on the bone.

Welcome Kev! Hope you are having a great time. Stop by Table 1021 and say hi.

Leon
08-03-2015, 11:40 AM
welcome to the board!!

ls7plus
08-03-2015, 06:54 PM
A hearty welcome also, from another Ted Williams collector (select issues--I'm not a completionist). There are some very difficult issues out there, as I'm sure you already know, or will find out!

Best of luck,

Larry