PDA

View Full Version : Need help with autographs

sam majors
07-25-2015, 03:15 PM
Please delete

DetroitCollector989
07-26-2015, 08:12 AM
I know the bottom is Lew Alcindor aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I couldn't tell you if its real or not. Probably not though, bases on the others I compared. I am no expert at all though.

Duluth Eskimo
07-26-2015, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry to put you on blast, but that story is not credible. The Alcindor looks like the fakes that are currently sold on eBay on blank index cards and the Davis is a very rare autograph and yours looks VERY slowly drawn. 10 years ago? Come on

sam majors
07-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Please delete

MooseDog
07-26-2015, 04:48 PM
I think Jason might be a little harsh. I knew a few sports writers that collected as well, but they often bought from the same sources as everyone else and could be just as prone to anyone else to have purchased something in good faith only to find out later it wasn't a genuine autograph.

That being said, I spent a LOT of time chasing autographs in the 1970s in Oakland as NOT ONCE was I either able to get Davis to sign, nor did I EVER see him sign an autograph in public. I have seen two that I believe are good, one signed for a nurse at a hospital my mom worked at, and one that was signed to Sam Bercovich, a local furniture store owner and a known personal friend of Davis.

I don't believe either Davis is genuine, though I don't have exemplars of those two to compare to. I just know that Davis was probably one of the worst sports related people in regards to signing habits, and his autograph is probably as rare as Steve Jobs.

The Alcindor is not even a good forgery, sorry to say.

Duluth Eskimo
07-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Well, not sure how to respond other than saying those three autos aren't even close to authentic. On top of that, you are going to tell me that you "happened" across them while paging through programs? Three of the top five toughest living "Davis was living" autographs in the hobby, but not hundreds of other terrible players or multi signed items? I don't know you and you might be the greatest Net54 card guy in the business, but that's probably the most unbelievable story I have heard in a while. Take me response for whatever you want or completely dismiss it, I don't care either way. If I am being too harsh, I guess I owe you an apology.

earlywynnfan
07-27-2015, 02:46 PM
http://www.iconicauctions.com/Al_Davis_Signed_Oakland_Raiders_Business_Bank_Chec-LOT45257.aspx

is Davis thought to have signed these?

MooseDog
07-27-2015, 07:33 PM
http://www.iconicauctions.com/Al_Davis_Signed_Oakland_Raiders_Business_Bank_Chec-LOT45257.aspx

is Davis thought to have signed these?

My memory is a little fuzzy but the check sig looks a little like the signatures I saw as a kid...

I can't say anything to whether or not Al signed checks to pay the bills but it certainly was not uncommon in Oakland for someone to sign for the owner (i.e. Carl and/or Nancy Finley signing Charlie O's name) on A's documents.

sbfinley
07-27-2015, 10:54 PM
I never realized Davis was so tough. I'm wanting to say the last bulk DNA sub I was in had a half dozen or so return as Authentic.

Duluth Eskimo
07-28-2015, 06:54 AM
They sell for good money. He would sign occasionally, but was generally very difficult. Most people with a football HOF collection take what they can get as opposed to finding what they want.