PDA

View Full Version : Longshot - anyone possess this Bender photo by Van Oeyen?

T206Jim
07-25-2015, 09:37 AM
A real shot in the dark, but does anyone own this photo of Chief Bender by Loius Van Oeyen or know where a good copy can be found? If so please send me a message.

kevlewis
07-25-2015, 09:45 AM
Hey there Jim! I dont own this one nor have I ever come across it ever. I will keep my eyes open though from here on out!

billyb
07-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Jim,
The VanOeyen collection is in the Western Reserve Historical Society, in Cleveland.
I happened to have an index copy of his collection, but there was nothing on Chief Bender in the collection. But that does not mean it does not exist, as many of VanOeyen photos were taken when the Cleveland Press went out of business and Getty bought out most of the photo collection.
Not all the photos in the VanOeyen Collection, are identified. Many are not. But your photo said something to the effect of, Bender won many games for the Athletics.
That leads me to believe the photo was taken toward his last seasons with the Athletics or even just after 1914, his final season with Philadelphia.
So my search through the index was between 1910 to 1920. The index gives the names of the player photographed, if known, and mentions that team of the player. and the year of the photo if known.
But, as I said, no luck.
So you may want to search through Getty's collection.

Bill Boyd

T206Jim
07-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the information, I will check it out. What I do know is that this is a 1912 or earlier photo by Van Oeyen. The picuture I posted was a page from Christy Mathewson's 1912 book "Pitching in a Pinch". The photo was also used as the cover photo on Reach's 1913 baseball catalog as shown below. As I have the catalog and Mathewson's book I would like to find the actual photo as well if possible.

billyb
07-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Jim,
That is a great piece. You can also send a message to Graig Kreindler, to see what he has. He has a huge assortment of copies of photos, and who has the rights to certain photos. Give him a shot, he would not mind helping.

Bill

T206Jim
12-22-2017, 03:38 PM
It has been a couple of years so I thought I'd try again. I recently picked up this 1914 copy of John McGraw's book with the photo of Bender as the image on the cover and as a photo plate inside as well. Has anyone seen or have an original copy of this image?