PDA

View Full Version : Zeenuts: Rare or Just Not Graded

Jason19th
07-23-2015, 07:34 PM
I just picked up my first zennut - a 1917 Jack Calvo-- and I was struck by the lack of graded cards in the population reports. So I was just wondering, are Zeenuts really that rare or are they just not graded because they are so often in bad condition.

Leon
07-23-2015, 08:36 PM
They aren't graded because most of those collectors don't care about grading, is my thought.

edjs
07-23-2015, 09:07 PM
I have quite a few 1911s, 90% are not graded and will remain that way. The graded ones were already graded when I got them, I'm not going to crack them out, it would be a waste to me, as if I ever decide sell, the high grade ones are already there. I don't think they need to be graded, as they aren't really counterfeited from what I see, and the scarcity is more important to me than the condition. And most Zeenut collectors seem to be able to recognize the shape they are in without the grade. I am sure others think different, but that is how I collect the ones I do, for what it is worth.

AndrewJerome
07-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Some Zeenuts are extremely rare / scarce.

However, most Zeenut collectors prefer their cards raw.

Kawika
07-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Andrew: Your book of (raw) Seattle Zeenuts which you showed me at the WSSCA show this past June is one of the more beautiful things I have ever seen in the hobby.

rhettyeakley
07-23-2015, 11:24 PM
There are many ways to collect Zeenut cards.

Some collect them by player, team, year, and there are even some that are stupid enough to just collect all of them. I pretty much fall into the latter category and just the sheer number of cards makes it really difficult to want to have the cards graded. Luckily there aren't too many that want to collect the entire Zeenut series as they really are MUCH harder to find than most realize (especially when compared to common sets like T206).

I mainly focus on the 1911 to 1928 series but pick up cards from the later sets when I get an opportunity but even narrowing the series by a bit there are still over 2800 cards from 1911 to 1928 (not including minor variations). The sheer amount of space that 2800 cards in SGC holders would take up may require a new wing on my house so I tend to collect them ungraded.

Nobody (even Mark) has the complete Zeenut run and it's even unknown if all the cards currently on the known checklists actually still exist since some early collections (or portions of them) have been lost.

Last time I checked my collection I am sitting at roughly 2100 different of those 2800. I would hate to have to start all over again right now as there are only a finite number of these cards and they seem to be getting tougher to find as they get absorbed into collections.

Here is a link to the bulk of my cards:
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/zeenuts.html

Louieman
07-24-2015, 12:09 AM
I once heard from a guy that Zeenuts were often used as gambling chips or as placemats for dice games. I guess if that's true I see why. Graded my whopping collection of 3, however. Oakland Oaks!

Section103
07-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Im looking for just one specific card and haven't seen it come up for sale (or seen it at all, for that matter) in the past 5-7 years. Some are very rare.

philliesphan
07-24-2015, 03:56 PM
The vast majority are not graded.

The rare cards from the series are not improved, value-wise, by grading, given the preponderance of advanced Zeenut collectors to keep their examples raw.

I've purchased a few Zee's myself, and many of them have come to me graded. I'm thinking about cracking out all those that are less than VG, as the plastic is heavy and annoying. The mid-grade examples I can't justify breaking out. But then again, mid-grade in Zeenut is like minty fresh in most other pre-war issues

ls7plus
07-24-2015, 04:01 PM
There are many ways to collect Zeenut cards.

Some collect them by player, team, year, and there are even some that are stupid enough to just collect all of them. I pretty much fall into the latter category and just the sheer number of cards makes it really difficult to want to have the cards graded. Luckily there aren't too many that want to collect the entire Zeenut series as they really are MUCH harder to find than most realize (especially when compared to common sets like T206).

I mainly focus on the 1911 to 1928 series but pick up cards from the later sets when I get an opportunity but even narrowing the series by a bit there are still over 2800 cards from 1911 to 1928 (not including minor variations). The sheer amount of space that 2800 cards in SGC holders would take up may require a new wing on my house so I tend to collect them ungraded.

Nobody (even Mark) has the complete Zeenut run and it's even unknown if all the cards currently on the known checklists actually still exist since some early collections (or portions of them) have been lost.

Last time I checked my collection I am sitting at roughly 2100 different of those 2800. I would hate to have to start all over again right now as there are only a finite number of these cards and they seem to be getting tougher to find as they get absorbed into collections.

Here is a link to the bulk of my cards:
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/zeenuts.html

Now that is what I call an informative post, and why I like this forum so much (Rhett is usually a very, very good source of knowledge to tap)!

Highest regards,

Larry

RCMcKenzie
07-24-2015, 06:13 PM
For the years that have a coupon attached, I'm not sure why they grade the ones w/o the coupons. I'm not really a graded card guy and don't have a lot of Zeenut series cards, but I know they can be hard to find when you start looking for specific cards from the earlier series...here're a few..

Leon
07-26-2015, 02:48 PM
I have collected them and not gotten them graded as collected. When I have gone to sell them (as in now) the more valuable ones have been graded.

shernan30
08-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I was wondering who is a good resource to talk to about starting a Zeenut collection. If there are any books out or master checklists available that would be awesome as well. I'm mostly interested in starting a type collection, but can easily be swayed in many directions since I don't know a ton about them yet. Send me a PM or email, shernan30@gmail.com, if a Zeenut collector out there has some time to talk. I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area and willing to meet up if that works as well.

Steven