PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone successfully bent back a trophy to its original form?

sporteq
07-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Hi peepz,

I'm thinking like a bat, golf club, a limb.. etc etc. Do think it would be frowned upon because it has been tampered with?

I have a trophy with a slightly bent bat. Sometimes I think, "should I try to bend it back." If it broke, it would be completely ruined.

Thanks,

Albert

Econteachert205
07-21-2015, 02:30 PM
If it doesn't have a thin overcoat layer of metal ( consistent metal throughout) I have had success using a heat gun and slowly straightening bent sculptures.

mjkm90
07-21-2015, 05:59 PM
I've never tried it. If it's cost iron (pot metal) I believe it will snap.

Econteachert205
07-21-2015, 06:08 PM

Pot metal is different than cast iron, but you are right about cast If it is brass or bronze you can carefully bend it with heat. Pot metal, also called white metal which is a crappy low cost alloy won't snap like cast iron, but it with bend unevenly for a stressed out look if you aren't super careful.

sporteq
07-21-2015, 07:08 PM
If it doesn't have a thin overcoat layer of metal ( consistent metal throughout) I have had success using a heat gun and slowly straightening bent sculptures.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Glad to hear you have had success. Did you apply heat directly to the metal?

Yeah- It's cast iron. I was thinking it would break or crack.

thanks,

Albert

ooo-ribay
07-21-2015, 08:43 PM
I'd take it to a metal restorer for an expert opinion. Some of them can do some pretty amazing work.

sporteq
07-21-2015, 11:02 PM
I'd take it to a metal restorer for an expert opinion. Some of them can do some pretty amazing work.

Good point.. It's just slightly bent. I've owned it for awhile, not sure why all of a sudden it's bothering me.

Thanks

murphusa
07-22-2015, 08:57 AM
I have a foundry near me that has fixed broken and bent bronze and other metal items including Southland statues and other trophy's for me at a reasonable price