PDA

View Full Version : Card collecting reference books? Which do you own and recommend?

OldEnglishD
07-21-2015, 06:56 AM
I did a quick search and didn't see anything on this in the past few years, please correct me if I am wrong....

What are, in your opinion, the best card collecting reference books out there? (not talking about price guides)

I see that 'The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin and Company' is well thought of by members here.

Also 'Classic baseball cards: The golden years, 1886-1956' has been mentioned (published in 1987) in good terms.

I have the Cracker Jack book from my PSA membership, but to be honest, haven't even cracked it open (not my collecting interest).

What else? And don't forget hockey! :D

Dave

darwinbulldog
07-21-2015, 07:09 AM
The Goodwin book is the best. As a general reference for just about all of the vintage sets it's always nice to have a copy of the Standard Catalog handy. http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Vintage-Baseball-Cards/dp/1440238499 (http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Vintage-Baseball-Cards/dp/1440242895/ref=dp_ob_title_bk)

byrone
07-21-2015, 07:11 AM
The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards" by Lew Lipset

For hockey I'd recommend "Vintage Hockey Collector" by Bobby Burrell.
It is sold out, but there is a copy listed for sale on ebay.

Also there were price guides issued by Beckett and Charlton which document plenty of information for hockey collectors

http://vintagehockeycollector.com/

Enfuego
07-21-2015, 07:20 AM
The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories

Cozumeleno
07-21-2015, 08:04 AM
The Goodwin book is the best. As a general reference for just about all of the vintage sets it's always nice to have a copy of the Standard Catalog handy. http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Vintage-Baseball-Cards/dp/1440238499 (http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Vintage-Baseball-Cards/dp/1440242895/ref=dp_ob_title_bk)

Concur on the Standard Catalog vintage card book. It's great for identifying cards and providing short snippets of information. And while I don't use it for pricing, it's helpful in providing a frame of reference on items you are not at all familiar with.

Enfuego
07-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Concur on the Standard Catalog vintage card book. It's great for identifying cards and providing short snippets of information. And while I don't use it for pricing, it's helpful in providing a frame of reference on items you are not at all familiar with.

+1

tonyo
07-21-2015, 08:43 AM
The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards" by Lew Lipset

I'll second this. You can get Vols 1,2,&3 combined. I read through it 3 or 4 times when I first started collecting pre-war about 6 years ago.

Also, get as many auction catalogs as possible.

Tony

toppcat
07-21-2015, 11:02 AM
For hockey I'd recommend "Vintage Hockey Collector" by Bobby Burrell.
It is sold out, but there is a copy listed for sale on ebay.

http://vintagehockeycollector.com/

Bobby is working on an updated version of his book-not sure when it will be out though.

OldEnglishD
07-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Bobby is working on an updated version of his book-not sure when it will be out though.

Thanks for that tidbit, was seriously considering ordering the printers error copy from eBay. Will hold off for now.

Dave

trdcrdkid
07-21-2015, 11:58 AM
In addition to the books that have already been mentioned, Dave Jamieson's "Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession" is a useful history of the hobby, including the card companies themselves, collectors like Burdick and Lionel Carter, and the rise of the grading companies in the 1990s.

clydepepper
07-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Well, I have ALL of those previously mentioned

The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards" by Lew Lipset (1983)
- a great source for 19th Century issues

The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories (2010)

The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin and Company (2008)
the most info on Old Judge cards

Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards, 3rd Edition (2013)
- By far, My favorite source.

Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession (2010)
- more about the hobby in general.

Additionally I have the following:

Beckett Baseball Card Alphabetical Checklist #11 (2005)
- which is very handy for finding all cards available of specific players

The Cracker Jack Collection: Baseball’s Prized Players (2013)

Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, 15th Edition (2006)
- which I discontinued purchasing every year once I started concentrating exclusively on pre-1981 cards and the Vintage Catalog started being published.

OldEnglishD
07-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Well, I have ALL of those previously mentioned

The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards" by Lew Lipset (1983)
- a great source for 19th Century issues

The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories (2010)

The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin and Company (2008)
the most info on Old Judge cards

Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards, 3rd Edition (2013)
- By far, My favorite source.

Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession (2010)
- more about the hobby in general.

Additionally I have the following:

Beckett Baseball Card Alphabetical Checklist #11 (2005)
- which is very handy for finding all cards available of specific players

The Cracker Jack Collection: Baseball’s Prized Players (2013)

Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, 15th Edition (2006)
- which I discontinued purchasing every year once I started concentrating exclusively on pre-1981 cards and the Vintage Catalog started being published.

Thanks Raymond! Just ordered the Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball cards based on the recommendations here. Not a big financial commitment and what looks to be a good starting place.

Thanks for the long list! Dave

bcbgcbrcb
07-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Since I spent so much time working on them, my vote goes to the Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide & the 4-Sport Hall of Fame Rookie Cards Guide (includes hockey).

1880nonsports
07-21-2015, 03:33 PM
"guides" or related books on collectibles and sundries - at least 25 are base ball related from Kashmanian's great picture book to Mark Rucker's photography offerings and Cooper's baseball games. Don't discount price guides as Alan Hager's is a classic. Quality auction catalogs are a FANTASTIC source of pictures and identification as long as one is keeps in mind they are imperfect and they're out to sell you on something. Many of he larger auction houses have such historical information on their websites. I could help more if you gave at least a general era to focus on (other than hockey - do they still play that somewhere?).

ls7plus
07-21-2015, 04:44 PM
In addition to the books that have already been mentioned, Dave Jamieson's "Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession" is a useful history of the hobby, including the card companies themselves, collectors like Burdick and Lionel Carter, and the rise of the grading companies in the 1990s.

+1. An extremely interesting read. I also agree with the reference to Alan Hager's book/price guides issued in the '90's (don't pay much attention to the prices listed in the book, as they were excessive when it was published in '92 or '93, but the color photos of the cards and accompanying historical info are good. His Six-Sport price guide, which includes many vintage issues, together with estimates of their relative rarity, is worth having, as the prices published were pretty accurate for the time in 1995, and his rarity estimates can have value when comparing one issue to another, although he clearly botched a few of them). It is also interesting to note how much various cards have appreciated in value since 1995, and which have not done as well, thereby indicating how collecting trends have shifted in the last twenty years. I also agree that you have to have an edition of the Standard Catalog every few years, though I wouldn't pay much attention to the prices given.

Best wishes,

Larry

trdcrdkid
07-21-2015, 10:56 PM
If we're talking price guides and checklists, I have a bunch from the 1970s, 80s, and early 90s, including the first three editions of the Sports Collector's Bible (1975, 1977, 1979); Sport Americana Baseball Card Checklists from 1974, 1975, 1976, and 1978 (each with a rudimentary price guide at the end); the Sport Americana Baseball Card Price Guide (Beckett-Eckes) for each year from 1979-1991, including both covers from 1979 and the hardcover 1980; the Sterling Sports Card Catalog (1977, two copies, one with a price guide inserted); the American Premium Guide to Baseball Cards (1982) by Ron Erbe and Keith Mitchell, which I've posted about here; and the first four editions of the Standard Catalogue of Baseball Cards (1988-90-92-94). That's in addition to many hobby periodicals from the 1950s to the 90s (including a complete run of the first 18 years of Sports Collectors Digest from 1973-91), quite a few non-price-guide books about baseball cards, and quite a few books about trade cards, tobacco cards, and other collectibles.

brian1961
07-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Let me preface what I am about to say. I jolly well know this is a PreWWII forum. However, since the thread topic may be interpreted in several ways, I thought you may wish to know that before the year is through, my own book will be available.

Entitled NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, it concerns "Those Special 'Free Prize' Sports Collectibles from the Golden Era of 1947 - 1971". It is by no means a price guide, but what it is will truly take one back to those years after the war when some of the nicest items one could collect came free with the purchase of a product. The early days of the burgeoning adult sports collectibles hobby is covered, as well as some of the frenzied auction action from the last 30 years, and of course the stringent standards demanded by today's informed collectors---I speak of course of reputable third party graded cards.

Not much hockey, though I offer an interesting, humorous vignette of the Bee Hive premiums.

I truly hope those of you who wish to take a chance on it with some of their precious card-buying funds will find it worth much, much more than their purchase price. If I was still involved with collecting these dynamite items, I would buy this book in a heartbeat. I know, I know; of course I would say that, wouldn't I? Nevertheless, I do not lie, either.

It took 5 years to write, edit, and secure copyright, after a collecting lifetime of gathering research. I wish I had gotten more of you to contribute your first-hand and even second-hand sea stories. Regardless, what I got from several hobby pioneers and voracious collectors are enthralling to those who relish this niche of our hobby.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers, mates.:D ---Brian Powell