PDA

View Full Version : PSA Ted Williams Weirdness: 1st 1950 R423 Strip Graded! Salutations Rejected

kevinlenane
07-18-2015, 10:21 PM
So i checked around a bit on this before submitted as I was concerned that PSA wouldn't grade the whole 13 card strip from the 1950 R423 series. I sent this in and actually got the whole thing graded. I just asked for an authentic - but they actually told me they would do a number grade as well. Its apparently the only one thats been graded.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b453/kevinlenane/Ted%20Williams%20Collection/F8C1F153-E434-4C47-9941-846CBDCC8FFA_zpsf37lue4e.jpg

Im really just keeping for the Ted Williams card within but didn't want to tear it out. Incidentally, i also sent in a 1939-1947 Salutations Ted Williams Exhibit Card and that came back as n9 because they claimed it was too large to fit in a holder as did this 2 inch version of the PM10 Pin.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mqKHL1uA_DeCdaHiZEFWA0w.jpg

Ive seen both graded numerous times so im not really sure what to make of this. Of course by the time I was able to flag it - it was already shipped. Anyway, I thought the strip grading was really cool. Id love to hear any other weird PSA stories especially around my buddy Ted. Right now im lobbying them to grade my 1950 Luckee Sports Stars Key Chain. Its listed in numerous guides but they claim to not have enough information on it to include - ive sent them some clips where its listed in guides. Any other advice?

Harford20
07-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Kevin,
As you and I talked about before, PSA is pretty "touchy" about grading the R423 strips. Shown are my group of 6 different orange back strips and my duplicate Williams strip. I have sent in approx 4-5 other complete strips which have been rejected for grading (in PSA's defense, those others have had some or all of the perforations folded, so not "unfolded strips").

I have about 30 Ted Williams pins, and honestly, the ONLY pins for Ted that I have seen graded (by anyone inc PSA) are the 1956 Topps pin and the small 1-1/4" B on hat pin (the super common one). All my 1-3/4"+ size pins are not graded by PSA due to no holder size for those pins.

If you find a way to Luckee key chain graded, let me know your secret.

Dave

Harford20
07-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Photo 2

ALR-bishop
07-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Those are cool guys

Harford20
07-19-2015, 08:44 AM
Kevin, I should have mentioned that these strips show in the PSA pop report at the very bottom of the 1950 R423 list (I think about 10 have been graded). My irritation with PSA on these strips is that each is labelled EXACTLY the same on the flip, despite being completely different strips. I was told by PSA that as these strips are not "recognized" as "designated (meaning always the same 13 cards) strips", PSA will not give them different designators on the flips.

My research (sent to PSA) has documented 13 different strips (in the orange back variation) with EXACTLY the same 13 players on each of these 13 different strips. Still not "listed" in one of the major guides, so thus far has been a failed discussion with PSA.

Dave

kevinlenane
07-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Ah evidently it's not the first! Yes it seems like they grade any strip and classify it the exact same way regardless of who is in it. Seems odd to me since they'll grade each and every one individually. GREAT info on the pins - if course none of this is documented anywhere in the PSA "literature" I will continue my Luckee key chain lobbying with everything I can find :) Certainly it deserves to be on the master set list but of course that requires embassy recognition by the PSA. Thanks again for the info - I wont bother resubmitting. The salutations is certainly a head scratcher - that one they've asked me to measure and give them feedback. They even returned it with the correct label and a little note saying it's too big... but it's the exact same size as all the other ones they've graded.

kevinlenane
07-19-2015, 04:59 PM
It appears I was simply the first one to, for no good reason, only grab an authentic vs. a number grade. The strip i have is in great condition, i wonder if it's worth trying for a 7 or an 8. Im not planning on selling it but i do love having things in my infant stage collection at 7+. Im assuming that lone green back R423 Ted Williams is yours? Ive never seen one for sale - did you pop that out of strip? How did you find it? Id love to see a picture of that one too if it's yours.