PDA

View Full Version : Here's something that I never saw done by an Auction House

Buythatcard
07-18-2015, 09:02 PM
I was watching a lot in an auction that was ending tonight. It was a 1913 National Game set. I was going to put in a bid 10 minutes before the deadline. While waiting anxiously as the clock ticked down, I started looking at some of the individual cards this AH offered tonight. There were individual cards from the 1913 National Game Set also up for grabs. I just wanted the whole set and was not interested in the individual cards. But I noticed that the grades of the individual cards were exactly the same as the ones in the lot of the whole set that they were auctioning off. I then checked the PSA certification #'s and they also matched. This seemed really strange to me.
I went back and read the description of the lot of the set and saw this and could not believe my eyes.

"Each card is also available on its own later in the auction, and whichever format generates the highest aggregate bidding will win the cards."

I have been bidding on auctions for over 13 years and have never seen anything like this. It pissed me off and said to myself that this AH has really gone too far.

Of course, I decided not to place my bids.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before? What do you think of this?

Econteachert205
07-18-2015, 09:08 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen it before. Brilliant and jerky in one.

BobbyVCP
07-18-2015, 09:17 PM
I have seen it a bunch of times in auctions. Usually a high grade set that they try to sell both ways as single card or set. Which ever is the highest bidder the sets versus the singles wins the auction.

jcmtiger
07-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Yes, I have seen it before, if the individual bids are higher in total than the set, the individual bids win.

Joe

GregMitch34
07-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Have seen many times but usually they are much more explicit about it.

Buythatcard
07-18-2015, 09:38 PM
I usually don't bid on whole sets so maybe that's why I never saw this. It certainly was not very clear especially in the individual lots.
I guess an AH can do whatever they want. As a bidder, I can certainly find another AH.

1952boyntoncollector
07-18-2015, 09:52 PM
I usually don't bid on whole sets so maybe that's why I never saw this. It certainly was not very clear especially in the individual lots.
I guess an AH can do whatever they want. As a bidder, I can certainly find another AH.

mile high does this I believe..but they also take forever to return cards that they didn't receive payment on and agree t return..

not sure how someone would ever bid more on a set versus the individual cards....the winner is always going to be the individual cards added together..cause if the cards added to less..the guy wanting to buy the set could of just been the high bidder on all the cards...and add up to less than bidding on the full set and he would go that route

Buythatcard
07-18-2015, 09:56 PM
The odds of an individual winning all the individual cards don't seem good. He would have a better chance to get all the cards if he won the whole set at once.

1952boyntoncollector
07-18-2015, 09:59 PM
The odds of an individual winning all the individual cards don't seem good. He would have a better chance to get all the cards if he won the whole set at once.

not if the individual cards add up higher in that auction which ALWAYS happens....I just saying if for some reason they didn't add up higher..than the guy wanting the whole set could easily be the top bidder on all the auctions if it added up less than what he planned on bidding for the set..

BeanTown
07-18-2015, 10:12 PM
How many times did you wake up early (7AM) to discover that the AH was still going on from the night before!!! Happend to me today.

Sean
07-18-2015, 10:29 PM
I've seen it a few times. Mile High did it last week with a high grade 1965 Topps set.

sbfinley
07-18-2015, 11:24 PM
It's nothing new and I have seen this done by many major auction houses. I really don't mind it either as it promotes aggressive bidding. Far fewer bidders would be interested in (and could afford) chasing a high grade set of a certain issue then would be in play for certain singles, which in turn forces the few buyers bidding on the set to be more aggressive - a win/win play for sellers. Higher realized prices ----> More sellers ----> More items -----> Better Auctions.

DoctorK
07-19-2015, 06:58 AM
This is practiced at antique auctions quite frequently and usually done with sets of furniture. Each piece is sold individually and then the entire lot is sold. Whichever brings the most $$$ is how the lot is sold.

buymycards
07-19-2015, 07:28 AM
I can't find it, but there was a thread in regard to this several years ago.

RichardSimon
07-19-2015, 09:42 AM
I was watching a lot in an auction that was ending tonight. It was a 1913 National Game set. I was going to put in a bid 10 minutes before the deadline. While waiting anxiously as the clock ticked down, I started looking at some of the individual cards this AH offered tonight. There were individual cards from the 1913 National Game Set also up for grabs. I just wanted the whole set and was not interested in the individual cards. But I noticed that the grades of the individual cards were exactly the same as the ones in the lot of the whole set that they were auctioning off. I then checked the PSA certification #'s and they also matched. This seemed really strange to me.
I went back and read the description of the lot of the set and saw this and could not believe my eyes.

"Each card is also available on its own later in the auction, and whichever format generates the highest aggregate bidding will win the cards."

I have been bidding on auctions for over 13 years and have never seen anything like this. It pissed me off and said to myself that this AH has really gone too far.

Of course, I decided not to place my bids.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before? What do you think of this?

What an unethical practice.

ejharrington
07-19-2015, 11:09 AM
If it's disclosed I don't see the issue; I have seen this a lot.

07-19-2015, 01:48 PM
If it's disclosed I don't see the issue; I have seen this a lot.

+1

mattsey9
07-19-2015, 11:15 PM
Farm land is often sold this way at auctions.

alanu
07-20-2015, 01:13 AM
For some reason I remember a big lot of Old Judges sold in this manner a few years back.

packs
07-20-2015, 08:02 AM
I forget who sold the set, but they did the same thing with that Collins McCarthy set that was auctioned off. They always put the details in the description, so I don't have a problem with it. If they didn't and your winning lot mysteriously vanished, I'd be annoyed with that.

wondo
07-20-2015, 08:24 AM
I've bid on some sets that MH offered this way - always ends up as a losing battle and a waste of time. :(

ksabet
07-20-2015, 10:04 AM
What an unethical practice.

Why is this unethical? Clearly stated and disclosed. Just an AH trying to maximize their consignors profits. I see no harm and think this will happen more regularly with complete graded sets down the road.

Irresponsible to call it unethical. Nothing unethical here.

jerrys
07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Bidding on a complete set and individual cards of the set has been done many times. This method is generally used to sell top graded sets. Why unethical?

Gary Dunaier
07-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Why is this unethical? Clearly stated and disclosed. Just an AH trying to maximize their consignors profits. I see no harm and think this will happen more regularly with complete graded sets down the road.

Irresponsible to call it unethical. Nothing unethical here.

Exactly. I've seen it done before. As long as it's disclosed ahead of time, it's not unethical.

aro13
07-26-2015, 07:52 AM
If your not bidding on the set or the lots it is pretty interesting to follow.

Alan Hager used this method in his auctions back in the 1990's I believe.

vthobby
07-26-2015, 08:22 AM
I like it. If you are the consignor, this gives you 100% peace of mind in that you know your cards are going to be maximized one way or the other.

It might be a bit of a strain on the bidders but hey, if you REALLY want something......bid high and bid often! :)

Very cool concept.

Peace, Mike