PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying sig (WWII ball)

RelicSports
07-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Good afternoon Gents,

I am in need of your help. I have a ball with 33 sigs which I believe is from the 1944 Navy vs. Army World Series at Furlong Stadium. I have been able to identify all signatures except 1. The one in the middle of the below picture is the one in question. It looks like "Izzy Smith" to me, but I have been unable to find anyone fitting that description. There is also a Vince Smith on the ball...so I don't believe it to be him. Any thoughts/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Scott Garner
07-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Andrew,
You may be correct re: your ball. Who else signed it? I see Hugh Casey which is a tough autograph because of his early death date.

I have several items from the 1944 Army-Navy Word Series, including a program (at Furlong Field), signed team sheets that lists all of the players from this Series, etc..

Vince Smith was definitely a catcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Unfortunately, I cannot find any Izzy Smith in any of the items that I looked at, FWIW.

JimStinson
07-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Its Izzy Smith he played with Joe Dimaggio when he was in the Air Force in Honolulu. He also played CF for Sac City

RelicSports
07-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Thank you Scott/Jim!

Scott - The signatures on the ball are:

Eddie Funk
Schoolboy Rowe
Vince Smith
John Berry
Sid Goutreaux
Pete/James Ashworth (still not sure if this is correct)
Rugger Ardizoia
Mike McCormick
Bill Leonard
Dick Molberg
Virgil Trucks
Ken Sears (2X)
Al Brancato
Jack Hallet
Dom DiMaggio
Walter Judnich
Joe Gordon
John Winsett
Bill Dickey
John Mize
Dario Lodgiani
Bill Schmidt
Izzy Smith
Hugh Casey
Skeeter Dickey
Bob Dillinger
Rankin Johnson
Phil Rizzuto
Walter Masterson
Sal Rocca
Eddie Shokes
Arne Anderson

Scott Garner
07-13-2015, 05:51 PM
You're welcome, Andrew.
James Ashworth was a catcher from Eldorado, Arkansas in the Army/Navy World Series (Army)
Feel free to ask re: any other questions.