PDA

View Full Version : OT: The greatest game ever pitched

HOF Auto Rookies
07-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Was a fun read, hard to argue against. The reel is simply unbelievable, his curveball in the 5th to the lefty and same guy later on were filthy.

I will admit I am ignorant to older decades of ball pre-70's for individual games.

Almost brings a tear to my eye for what could have been. Tremendous person, talked with him a few times and simply a great guy. I will always be a fan or him both on and off the field.

http://www.ozy.com/performance/the-greatest-game-ever-pitched/60061?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=All%20Clicks%20-%20All%20Devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth
07-11-2015, 05:03 PM
I think Strasburg is on a similar trajectory from limitless potential to just north of average for his career. You have to wonder if these kids have appropriate training etc., to be wrecking their elbows so young.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I think Strasburg is on a similar trajectory from limitless potential to just north of average for his career. You have to wonder if these kids have appropriate training etc., to be wrecking their elbows so young.

It seems the research I've done is that it basically is attributed to throwing harder than average.

clydepepper
07-11-2015, 05:41 PM
I would have to rate Wood's game the best ever. But close behind are many others:

Three that come to mind are

Pedro's 1-hit, 17K game vs. the Yankees ,
Ryan's 7th no-hitter vs. a loaded Toronto lineup,
and my personal favorite, Halladay's Playoff No-Hitter vs. the Reds (I never saw a pitcher more in control than that).

...oh, and then there's Scherzer...WOW!

HOF Auto Rookies
07-11-2015, 05:48 PM
I would have to rate Wood's game the best ever. But close behind are many others:

Three that come to mind are

Pedro's 1-hit, 17K game vs. the Yankees ,

Ryan's 7th no-hitter vs. a loaded Toronto lineup,

and my personal favorite, Halladay's Playoff No-Hitter vs. the Reds (I never saw a pitcher more in control than that).

...oh, and then there's Scherzer...WOW!

Great examples, one that sticks out is Pedro. I personally view him as the best ever (I know most likely I'm wrong but my opinion :)) and thought about that game.

clydepepper
07-11-2015, 05:55 PM
I agree Brent...IMHO, Pedro was the best I ever saw.
Have you noticed that 'everyone' seems to want to stick someone with label 'best pitcher in the game'...and no one seems to keep that unofficial title more than a year or two.

Verlander gave way to Halladay who gave way to Kershaw who seems ready to give way to Scherzer. Lonely at the top!

HOF Auto Rookies
07-11-2015, 05:55 PM
I agree Brent...IMHO, Pedro was the best I ever saw.

We are in the minority my friend [emoji5]️

clydepepper
07-11-2015, 06:01 PM
I'm here in GA so, with the amazing Greg Maddux , so you know I mean it if I pick someone else.

Brian Van Horn
07-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Although I wasn't there, Harvey Haddix's perfect game lost in the 13th.

Peter_Spaeth
07-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Drugs aside, of the pitchers I've seen as an adult and I am biased towards those I saw a lot, Clemens, then Johnson, then Pedro, then Maddux. If five year stretches were enough, Gooden would be in the mix.

GregMitch34
07-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Topping them all--Marichal's CG 16-inning shutout vs Spahn who gave up winning HR to Mays. I remember hearing about it on radio the morning after and justly now legendary.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Topping them all--Marichal's CG 16-inning shutout vs Spahn who gave up winning HR to Mays. I remember hearing about it on radio the morning after and justly now legendary.

Omg, I bet that would amazing to listen to live.

Peter_Spaeth
07-11-2015, 06:56 PM
That game would never happen today in the age of pampered delicate pitchers. Each side would have had seven different pitchers.

tedzan
07-11-2015, 06:58 PM
I was a young teenager on Oct 8th 1956 when Don Larsen pitched his Perfect No-Hitter against the Brooklyn Dodgers in Yankee Stadium.
I watched this entire game....and, there is nothing in Baseball in terms of pitching that compares. It was, and still is the GREATEST game
ever pitched.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/donlarsenperfectphotoAutog.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/1955BDonLarsenAutograph.jpg

TED Z

HOF Auto Rookies
07-11-2015, 06:59 PM
That game would never happen today in the age of pampered delicate pitchers. Each side would have had seven different pitchers.

100% correct, and at least 7 lol

HOF Auto Rookies
07-11-2015, 06:59 PM
I was a young teenager on Oct 8th 1956 when Don Larsen pitched his Perfect No-Hitter against the Brooklyn Dodgers in Yankee Stadium.

I watched this entire game....and, there is nothing in Baseball in terms of pitching that compares. It was, and still is the GREATEST game

ever pitched.

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/donlarsenperfectphoto.jpg

TED Z

Must have been surreal.

tedzan
07-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Must have been surreal.

Surreal is an excellent choice of words to describe this World Series game. The Dodgers pitcher, Sal Maglie, pitched a great game, also. But, one pitch too good for Mickey Mantle,
who hit a HR.

Here we are 59 years later; and, I will never forget Mantle's catch in deep Left-Centerfield to rob Gil Hodges of a possible inside-the-park HR. Hodges hit the ball approx. 440 feet.

TED Z

Peter_Spaeth
07-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Surreal is an excellent choice of words to describe this World Series game. The Dodgers pitcher, Sal Maglie, pitched a great game, also. But, one pitch too good for Mickey Mantle,
who hit a HR.

Here we are 59 years later; and, I will never forget Mantle's catch in deep Left-Centerfield to rob Gil Hodges of a possible inside-the-park HR. Hodges hit the ball approx. 440 feet.

TED Z

It may not be true, but I have read that after the game, a reporter actually asked Stengel if it was the best game he had seen Larsen pitch, and he answered, "so far."

tedzan
07-11-2015, 08:16 PM
I can't speak of what Casey spoke of. But, I certainly recall what Larsen's response to the gaggle of sports reporters that surrounded him.

He modestly told them...... "the Dodgers made it easy for me, I only threw 96 pitches".

TED Z

HOF Auto Rookies
07-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Must have been surreal.

And I guess I should say non-playoff game :). Including playoffs Don wins, I think lol. Very difficult to pick because one was where it mattered most.

almostdone
07-11-2015, 08:54 PM
When Sandy Koufax threw his perfect game on September 9th, 1965 he obviously had 27 batters up and 27 batters down. An amazing feat of pitching in any era. What makes this game even more unbelievable is that the opposing Cubs pitcher, Bob Hendly, threw a one hitter allowing only one unearned run. The one hit he gave up ended up left stranded on base.

In all of baseballs recorded history that game was the ONLY true one hitter. It was also the only game in history where only one runner was left on base.

So in all it wasn't just 27 up, 27 down it was actually 56 up and 54 down. In my humble opinion that was the greatest game ever pitched.

Drew

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN196509090.shtml

chris6net
07-11-2015, 10:44 PM
I happened to be at the game where Tom Seaver had 10 strikeouts to end the game against San Diego. I was only 7 years old and my parents lived in Suffolk but I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house in Queens and my grandfather took me to this great game. What I remember most was that it was fairly cold at Shea Stadium that day and I couldn't wait for the game to end. Seaver was my favorite player growing up and the kids of my age group were all Mets fans in Suffolk County.

Jeff_cvc
07-11-2015, 11:24 PM
I was looking at a Joe Oeschger card recently and wanted to find out more about this pitcher and what I found was extraordinary. Oeschger and his rival pitcher, Leon Cadore, each pitched 26 innings in one game, ending in a 1-1 tie. The game took place on May 1, 1920, and it was called due to darkness. While neither of these pitchers would be called the most dominant pitcher, it was certainly an impressive feat and in my mind one of the greatest pitching performances. To read more about this game, there was an ESPN article written about it a couple years ago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/35687/the-day-the-pitchers-went-26-innings

ajjohnsonsoxfan
07-11-2015, 11:33 PM
that curveball eliciting the swinging strike on K #19 at 2:58 on the video is sooo nasty!

clydepepper
07-12-2015, 06:11 AM
How about These 3 oldies:

October 2, 1908 - Cleveland 1 Chicago 0
Addie Joss's Perfecto vs. Big Ed Walsh's one unearned run & 15Ks

May 2, 1917 - Cincinnati 1 Chicago 0
The DOUBLE NO-HITTER-
Fred Toney bests Hippo Vaughn in 10 Innings.

May 26, 1959 - Milwaukee 1 Pittsburgh 0
Hard-Luck Harvey looses his perfecto in the 13th inning &
Lew Burdette completes a 13 inning shuout.

Two sources for this information: 'Dry Wells- A Century of No-Hitters' by Paul Malone & 'Pitched Battle- 35 of Baseball's Greatest Duels from the Mound' by John Klima

Jlighter
07-12-2015, 10:10 AM
No respect for Kerry Wood's 20k game aside from the original post? I actually watched that game during the winter doldrums on YouTube and I never knew that he hit Craig Biggio. The opposing pitcher, Shane Reynolds, also threw a good game himself.

conor912
07-12-2015, 05:08 PM
I once read about a game that Cy Young pitched against Rube Waddell. They both went the distance....21 innings. Waddell ended up winning, but not before Young hit a guy in the 20th still with such force that he broke the guy's arm. Maybe not the greatest game ever pitched, but certainly worth an honorable mention.

obcbobd
07-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Another vote for Pedro's 17 K 1 H 1 ER game against the Yankees.

As a Red Sox season ticket holder I saw a lot of Pedro and Roger in their primes. I'll go with Pedro. Man I miss him!

sycks22
07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Jack Morris 1991 Game 7, complete game 10 inning shut out. Most clutch performance in the toughest situation known to the game.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Jack Morris 1991 Game 7, complete game 10 inning shut out. Most clutch performance in the toughest situation known to the game.

And the balls TK had to have faith in him.

Peter_Spaeth
07-12-2015, 09:17 PM

Great performance, but I cannot see a 7-hitter being the greatest pitching performance of all time.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Wood was just pure domination to a point where it looked like the Astros had never played before. They just got embarrassed.

Peter_Spaeth
07-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Didn't see it, but Nolan Ryan's no-hit, 17 strikeout performance against the Tigers in 1973 has to be up there. I have read that the last batter, Norm Cash, first came to the plate with a broomstick, telling the catcher and umpire a bat would do him no good.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Didn't see it, but Nolan Ryan's no-hit, 17 strikeout performance against the Tigers in 1973 has to be up there. I have read that the last batter, Norm Cash, first came to the plate with a broomstick, telling the catcher and umpire a bat would do him no good.

I remember reading of that!

pbspelly
07-13-2015, 11:55 AM
I have read that the last batter, Norm Cash, first came to the plate with a broomstick, telling the catcher and umpire a bat would do him no good.

I thought it was a table leg

bwbc917
07-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Gotta give Harvey Haddix another vote. 12 perfect innings versus Aaron, Mathews, Adcock etc. Unbelievable in today's world.

egri
07-14-2015, 06:12 PM
I'll throw it out I case it hasn't come up already: Warren Spahn vs Juan Marchial on July 2, 1963. I think it went 16 innings, and ended 1-0 when Willie Mays homered.