PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Pence: anticipating and executing

brass_rat
07-11-2015, 10:37 AM
I can't stop watching this play that Hunter Pence made this week. He did everything right, most notably, he knew exactly what he was going to do once he caught the ball...didn't even have to look to see if Granderson was tagging...he knew he would be.

Great sliding catch, knows the runner is going, gets to his feet immediately, and throws a bullet home.

Anyone teaching young kids to play the game can easily use this as an example of how to think ahead and to know what you are going to do in different situations.

Amazing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v239253983

vintagetoppsguy
07-11-2015, 06:50 PM
We miss him here in Houston :(

familytoad
07-11-2015, 09:13 PM
And in Philadelphia :(

frankbmd
07-12-2015, 05:51 AM
I don't have a link yet, but look for Puig's throw last night from the right-center field wall. No relay, no bounces & no replay challenge. Just a strike to second base to throw out Aramis Ramirez. The glove at second didn't have to move and Ramirez was out by 6 inches. Puig turned at the wall and fired the cannon instantly.

brass_rat
07-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Here you go, Frank -- and MLB does a cool job of including all of the various broadcasts so you can hear the different announcers!

http://m.mlb.com/video/v254364383

itjclarke
07-12-2015, 06:40 PM
I can't stop watching this play that Hunter Pence made this week. He did everything right, most notably, he knew exactly what he was going to do once he caught the ball...didn't even have to look to see if Granderson was tagging...he knew he would be.

Great sliding catch, knows the runner is going, gets to his feet immediately, and throws a bullet home.

Anyone teaching young kids to play the game can easily use this as an example of how to think ahead and to know what you are going to do in different situations.

Amazing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v239253983

Love that you posted this. We love Pence in SF and he is such an amazing fit for the city. A little quirky but firey and focused... and awkward in everything he does, but also good at everything he does, and every aspect of the game.

This play is pretty emblematic of what the Giants have done so well over the past 5 years, and even more so during the postseason runs. I think great (and sound) fielding is still very underrated, especially when quantified by today's metrics. I personally think defensive WAR is way off when gauging value of very good fielding players.

jimtigers65
07-12-2015, 08:59 PM
I enjoy looking for Pence signs in the crowd. My favorite sign...Superman wears Hunter Pence pajama's.

brass_rat
07-12-2015, 09:11 PM
It's easy to see why SF loves Pence (and other towns miss him!)...I don't know much about "advanced stats" but I can imagine that his enthusiasm really helps any team on top of all that. ..

Side note, I'm sitting here watching MLB Network's Plays of the Week review show (makes me miss TWIB), and Pence's play was featured as the number one play off the week...

brass_rat
07-12-2015, 09:12 PM
I enjoy looking for Pence signs in the crowd. My favorite sign...Superman wears Hunter Pence pajama's.

Awesome. :D

Louieman
07-14-2015, 02:05 AM
I was lucky enough to go to that game with Pence's play. I can't really do justice how much I lost it when Susac tagged the runner out from that ridiculous throw. Definitely the best play I've seen in person. We were up in the arcade, the seats on the brick wall of right field. When Pence got back to his position we were all applauding crazily, and he applauded us back. It was beyond epic

Mamunrud
07-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Here's another great sign I've seen for Hunter Pence.

"Sharks dedicate one week toward Hunter Pence"