PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Cards and....... Coins

shernan30
07-10-2015, 06:21 AM
I've been collecting all my life it seems. Cards, coins, stamps, comics (for a very short time), etc... Recently my interest in coins and paper money has started to pick up again. Very interested in colonial currency and early US coinage. (Just like my card collection, nothing that's easy to obtain or cheap ;))

How many Net54 members are coin collectors as well? Is your coin collection tied to your cards in some way i.e. players first year, first year of a team, year issue of your favorite card, etc...?

Finally, since most posts are only exciting with pictures show your favorite card and your favorite coin.

Steven

barrysloate
07-10-2015, 06:24 AM
I collect U.S. large cents, and have been for nearly ten years.

Stonepony
07-10-2015, 07:31 AM
I collect coins casually, like I do comics and 60s- 70s toys etc

Beatles Guy
07-10-2015, 07:33 AM
I dabble in coins and vintage toys.

caramelcard
07-10-2015, 10:21 AM
I mess around with coins, toys, comics, etc.

Lately I've accumulated a lot of vinyl records. I'll trade my cards for your records! :)

EldoEsq
07-10-2015, 10:35 AM
I collect coins as well...along with a million different other things!!!

glchen
07-10-2015, 10:44 AM
I'd like to do a US type coin collection, but if you think prewar cards can become expensive, coin prices can be obscene for the tougher denominations. I've actually started stamp collecting for classic US stamps since that's a cheaper hobby, but my
main focus is still cards.

egri
07-10-2015, 11:54 AM
I collect coins as well, but not actively. I have a few hundred dollars face value of old US silver coins and a couple of gold pieces. Most of what I have came from my great-grandfather's collection. He was a pharmacist, and in those days I guess he came across a lot of neat stuff.

drcy
07-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Not coins, but I work at a museum and have archived WWI & WWII medals and realized that would be a neat area to collect-- medals in general.

pawpawdiv9
07-10-2015, 04:03 PM
I got like 1 coin left worth a little something, but thats it. The only reason i even have it, theres a story to JFK and that its uncirculated CC.
Other than it, just some half dollars, 2 dollar bills, silver certificates, and some multi-country coins of other countries.
I did have some stamps given to me, but really have no idea how to research much on them.
So i tend to stick to my cards.

Econteachert205
07-10-2015, 06:50 PM
I have a little bit of everything as well.

trdcrdkid
07-10-2015, 11:40 PM
My dad collected coins as a kid, and tried to get me into it when I was a kid, but I was always much more interested in baseball cards. Actually I started with Wacky Packages, which first came out when I was 7, and then I moved on to baseball cards a couple of years later when I became a baseball fanatic at age 9.

When I got back into baseball cards in my mid-20s after a break, I quickly focused on pre-WWII cards, but my funds were limited. So I built as broad a type collection as I could by looking for bargains and getting as much bang for my buck as possible, generally spending no more than $100 on a card, and usually no more than $50. That philosophy soon led me to get into non-sport N, T, and E cards and trade cards, both of which were much more affordable but came from the same era and had many of the same characteristics I liked about vintage baseball cards. As I've mentioned on here before, I now have several thousand trade cards, almost 20 albums' worth, and a pretty decent type collection of non-sport N and T cards along with several sets and near sets of T cards.

I've also amassed half a closet full of tabletop baseball games, another long-term interest of mine, and lately I've been branching into games of other sports. And I have over 5000 books, including pretty decent collections on certain topics (Shakespeare, Medieval English history, baseball history, early 20th century pop culture). But that's a story for another time.