PDA

View Full Version : Holes punched in "T" cards

obcbeatle
07-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Hello ... I thought I read about this in another thread but I can't find it. I was wondering what accounts for the many "T" cards that have one or more hole punches. Specifically ... hole punches that are either diamond shaped or figure 8 shaped (sort of). I seem to remember it had to do with train conductor punches or something? But I could be way off on that. Hole punching may apply to other vintage cards other than "T" certainly. And of course to collectors who at one time punched their cards to try and prevent them from walking off to another collection :-) But examples of those that I've seen I think were often punched with a circular hole punch. Not the diamond or figure eight type holes I'm asking about here ... that I see on quite a few T205's/T206's. Anyway ... just curious. Thanks! Jerry.

Joshchisox08
07-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Luke Lyon has a Southern League player with a hole punch for sale if you're interested !

Luke
07-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Really odd that you say that today. It was purchased this morning after me having it for months. You must have felt its aura leaving Seattle :cool:

Sean
07-09-2015, 05:05 PM
There is a thread on the 2nd page regarding t215 Red Cross cards. There are four or five in that thread with hole punches.

swarmee
07-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Some card sets were used as redemptions to get prizes (ice cream, chocolates, ice skates, etc) and many were punched to show they had already been used as redemptions.

bnorth
07-09-2015, 06:16 PM
I have a few T210's with a Y punched in them. Wouldn't mind finding some more.

EvilKing00
07-09-2015, 07:40 PM
I have a few t205 pied 42 with dimond hole punches

trdcrdkid
07-09-2015, 08:32 PM
I have a 1909 Obak with a hole punched in it.

IMAXMAX
07-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Here's my T205 Tinker with a diamond punch...
If memory serves me correct I recall years ago hearing that these punches were used by ballparks...fans would bring in a card of any player on the field that day for a discounted admission...

anyone else out there heard something similar?

toppcat
07-10-2015, 11:21 AM
If memory serves me correct I recall years ago hearing that these punches were used by ballparks...fans would bring in a card of any player on the field that day for a discounted admission...

Seems plausible. I suspect there were a lot of "mom and pop" promotions as well locally where a small prize or trinket could be had for bringing in a certain aount of cards. Then there are just the ones where kids with a punch like to makes holes in things!

obcbeatle
07-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Really odd that you say that today. It was purchased this morning after me having it for months. You must have felt its aura leaving Seattle :cool:

That would be me Luke :-) I look forward to receiving both the SL cards. BTW ... I don't collect hole punched cards per se just that some cards can look pretty nice to me if the hole punch is in the periphery ... as compared to say a heavy crease right across the face. Anyway ... as a former southerner ... love those SL's!

obcbeatle
07-11-2015, 03:25 PM
I have a few t205 pied 42 with dimond hole punches

Steve ... right now the only other hole punched T card I have is a diamond shaped punched T205 Snodgrass P42! There is/was a L.Doyle P42 on eBay this week with multiple punches :-)

Thanks all for all the replies! Maybe it was the redemption angle that I had read about previously ... and just forgot. Thanks!

obcbeatle
07-11-2015, 03:34 PM

Cool card Daniel! A ballpark punch would be pretty cool too! Hadn't thought of that. So wouldn't it be neat if you owned a T206 Merkle that was punched at the Polo Grounds ... circa 1909-10 :-)