PDA

View Full Version : When a card doesn't fit PSA holder....

GregMitch34
07-07-2015, 05:38 PM
I used to think when PSA added various forms of thin plastic-like material around cards it was mainly before they figured out how to fit all different sizes, or were overly cautious about cards slipping around. Or some other reason, such as they hadn't yet created a holder for that card. It has always annoyed me with CJs when I'd see it but now I'm wondering (very late) if it's simply because some of these cards are 1/16 of an inch wider than the norm and PSA did not build in any flex room. So when you see cards like the one below (which is NOT my card) can we assume that if you asked PSA to re-holder it they would say, sorry, it's a tiny bit too big for our holder for that..Or perhaps you have had experience along these lines with other types of cards....

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196722&stc=1&d=1436312312..

DeanH3
07-07-2015, 11:35 PM
I understand why PSA uses the Mylar insert in your example. The card is most likely too large to fit a standard CJ holder. However, I don't get why they will use a Mylar sleeve when the card fits nicely into the holder. It doesn't make any sense to me. I REALLY do not like the sleeves.

I imagine if you asked PSA to re-holder that card, it would come back the same way but in a new holder.

baztacula
07-07-2015, 11:58 PM
If you center-up the card in that weird holder, it's not so bad. I have a handful of them. Like a lunatic, I'll grab one off the shelf and spend a few minutes tapping away at the sides with varying degrees of force until everything is nice and symmetrical. If you haven't, try it. You'll get a satisfying sense of accomplishment.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
07-08-2015, 12:48 AM
I have a couple like that. I sent one back to get re-holdered and they said the card was too fragile to put in a regular case. Otherwise without the mylar sleeve they fit perfectly.

GregMitch34
07-08-2015, 12:53 AM
The problem is that the card I have has both the sleeve and that thicker sheet over the entire front and back. Yes, you can center the card fine but the details of the card barely come through all that plastic. I've always hated that but figured I would simply have it re-holdered. But you are telling they will do the same thing to the card if card just slightly too big. Others agree? Any solutions?

GregMitch34
07-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Any other comments here? I imagine others have run into this--is this just a matter of PSA having no choice but to concoct and not great solution if a card measures slightly too large for its assigned holder? I am only asking because I don't want to send them a card for re-holdering and have them say, tough luck....thanks.

07-08-2015, 02:31 PM
I actually like the mylar sleeves, since they keep the card from bouncing around inside the holder. PSA has used them for years, and SGC has recently started using them as well.

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/9009/21637668/e105%20bemis%20front.jpg

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/9009/10173501/e105%20schmidt.jpg

glchen
07-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately PSA, unlike Beckett, does not have standard sized holders to fit all cards. If your CJ is a little bigger than the regular CJ where it would not fit the regular CJ holder, then PSA would put your card in the next sized insert. Unfortunately, this may result in some "float" which your card currently has, and I've attached another example of a card with float. It's possible that since your card was encapsulated, PSA has come out with a new insert that will fit your card better, but it's not guaranteed. If you send your card in for a reholder, it may well come back in something very similar to what you currently have with card float.

Beckett obviously has inserts that will exactly fit your card so there will not be any float. For SGC, they have standard sized inserts now also, so if your card doesn't fit their standard sizes, there will be gaps between your card and the insert. However, if you pay SGC extra and request a custom insert, they will cut out an insert that exactly fits your card so there will not be any float or gaps (which is really nice with die cuts).

HerbK
07-09-2015, 12:26 AM
I used to think when PSA added various forms of thin plastic-like material around cards it was mainly before they figured out how to fit all different sizes, or were overly cautious about cards slipping around. Or some other reason, such as they hadn't yet created a holder for that card. It has always annoyed me with CJs when I'd see it but now I'm wondering (very late) if it's simply because some of these cards are 1/16 of an inch wider than the norm and PSA did not build in any flex room. So when you see cards like the one below (which is NOT my card) can we assume that if you asked PSA to re-holder it they would say, sorry, it's a tiny bit too big for our holder for that..Or perhaps you have had experience along these lines with other types of cards....

This card you refer to, is it the 1915 CJ Shawkey PSA 8 I sold you at a hugely reduced price (because you are a member of the forum)...? The same card you had listed on eBay for a 50% markup 5 minutes after the USPS delivery guy dropped it off...? The same card you said you weren't happy with (well, you love the card, but now claim to not love the plastic)? The same card I offered you a full refund for (but you apparently declined)? The same card which you are apparently so unhappy with (after my offer to return your money), that you have since reduced the price on eBay twice...? The same card that you apparently waste the members' time here looking for advice after you've concocted this (convenient) cock and bull thread? Really doesn't matter what advice you get if you never intended to keep the card for more than 5 minutes....

If you're not happy with the card (or the plastic holder), return it. I will happily return your money.

H3rb K@ne.

GregMitch34
07-09-2015, 04:30 AM
Herb-

Of course, you are completely wrong. I had told you from the moment I made my offer for your card that I rarely buy cards of any kind with the extra inserts but since I have been buying 1915 PSA 8s lately I would take yours and send to PSA to re-holder. I couldn't have been more clear. I have since realized--thanks to some advice here and in emails--that I was probably wrong--that PSA likely will not re-holder without the insert and extra plastic, due to card being just slightly larger than their holder for CJs. I measured it as soon as I received it. Rather then mail to PSA and perhaps waste my time on that, I simply decided that I had probably made a mistake and put the card up for auction. I explained all that to you in an email, adding that I would take the card off eBay if informed that PSA would re-holder to my liking (which has not happened), and received a highly insulting reply from you.

My issues with the card have been consistent since the start and I think my thread here (and emails I have sent to a couple of experts) also bears that out and suggests I was hardly out to simply "make a buck" on this card. Yet you insulted me in that email to me and now here. You ended up selling the other PSA 8 you offered me at eBay via a Best Offer price for virtually the same price--minus the eBay fees--that you sold the Shawkey to me for. This is all hardly worth the 75 bucks I may make on my own Best Offer sale. I'm sorry that this appeared cock-eyed to you, and as I wrote in my email to you, I understand your feelings. However, you are simply wrong, and I will stand by my record here at Net54 for honest dealings.

UPDATE: Reached someone at PSA directly and was told that highly unlikely they would re-holder without the extra inserts.

07-09-2015, 08:20 AM
So you're unhappy with this gorgeous card because the borders are too wide? :confused: That's a first.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTgwWDMzOQ==/z/2S8AAOSw-vlVm3LR/$_57.JPG

GregMitch34
07-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Sad but true, Daryl! Just my taste. In posted image, however, you don't see the thick layer of added plastic covering the card....

HerbK
07-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Herb-

Of course, you are completely wrong. I had told you from the moment I made my offer for your card that I rarely buy cards of any kind with the extra inserts but since I have been buying 1915 PSA 8s lately I would take yours and send to PSA to re-holder. I couldn't have been more clear. I have since realized--thanks to some advice here and in emails--that I was probably wrong--that PSA likely will not re-holder without the insert and extra plastic, due to card being just slightly larger than their holder for CJs. I measured it as soon as I received it. Rather then mail to PSA and perhaps waste my time on that, I simply decided that I had probably made a mistake and put the card up for auction. I explained all that to you in an email, adding that I would take the card off eBay if informed that PSA would re-holder to my liking (which has not happened), and received a highly insulting reply from you.

My issues with the card have been consistent since the start and I think my thread here (and emails I have sent to a couple of experts) also bears that out and suggests I was hardly out to simply "make a buck" on this card. Yet you insulted me in that email to me and now here. You ended up selling the other PSA 8 you offered me at eBay via a Best Offer price for virtually the same price--minus the eBay fees--that you sold the Shawkey to me for. This is all hardly worth the 75 bucks I may make on my own Best Offer sale. I'm sorry that this appeared cock-eyed to you, and as I wrote in my email to you, I understand your feelings. However, you are simply wrong, and I will stand by my record here at Net54 for honest dealings.

You can stand by whatever you like and you can spin it any way you like, the fact of the matter is you were simply looking to make a fast buck after a forum member cut you a great deal on a beautiful card.

There's an old saying, "put up, or shut up". If you don't like the card, return it to me and I'll refund your money.

Herb.