PDA

View Full Version : Early Baseball photo

eastonfalcon19
07-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Alright I've had this photo for a few years now. I have 2 questions. My first question, does anyone know what this was or used for? Was this the original plate to make other copies? And does anybody know anything about the team? I appreciate any and all help.

ramram
07-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Not sure what you have there but it's not original to the period and is not a plate.
Sorry.
Rob

GoCubsGo32
07-09-2015, 12:42 PM
That may be the coolest team name ever...."Bros" haha

Butch7999
07-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Rob, we're not so sure that's not a plate. Agreed, it's definitely not period, and can't say for sure without being hands-on with it,
but it reminds us of a flex plate (terminology may vary from printer to printer) for a small duplicator (as opposed to a large press
like for newspapers). In our years in the trade, we occasionally made cheap presentation plaques for framing by just burning
the desired image onto a plate, then cutting away the excess (non-image) area.
Could be completely wrong about Ron's item, just making a guess.

Additional idiotic thought: could "Bros." be an abbreviation not for "Brothers" but for "Brooklyns"?

thecatspajamas
07-09-2015, 05:37 PM
If it was a plate, wouldn't it be reversed?

eastonfalcon19
07-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Thank you guys. I don't really mean plate I just didn't know what else to call it lol.

eastonfalcon19
07-09-2015, 06:20 PM
That may be the coolest team name ever...."Bros" haha

lol it is a pretty sweet name for a baseball team.

Butch7999
07-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Lance, good question, but no, not with the type of relatively modern offset small-press plate we're suggesting.
The plate image is inked and the image transferred onto a rubber blanket (where it does look reversed), and from that,
transferred again -- printed -- onto the actual paper where it again appears the correct way 'round.

thecatspajamas
07-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Lance, good question, but no, not with the type of relatively modern offset small-press plate we're suggesting.
The plate image is inked and the image transferred onto a rubber blanket (where it does look reversed), and from that,
transferred again -- printed -- onto the actual paper where it again appears the correct way 'round.

Huh, never would have thought of that. Thanks for the quick education! :)