PDA

View Full Version : Old Judge & Gypsy Queen Poll

baztacula
07-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Who is your favorite Old Judge/Gypsy Queen 1880s lady?

ullmandds
07-05-2015, 08:58 PM
shouldn't this be in the "cards of chicks" section?

baztacula
07-05-2015, 09:00 PM

Maybe but I looked and didn't see that option. Cast a vote!

ullmandds
07-05-2015, 09:06 PM
the majority of them are a tad bit homely.

baztacula
07-05-2015, 09:12 PM
the majority of them are a tad bit homely.

They are the sexiest Old Judges/Gypsy Queens I've seen. Frankie is kinda nice, too... unfortunately, she didn't want to participate in this poll.

baztacula
07-05-2015, 09:31 PM
I'd like to start a 'Scariest Old Judge' poll but so far I only have one example. If someone has seen a more frightening image, please post.

rhettyeakley
07-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Voted for Mlle. Marianne simply because I really want to find out what that is on her head!

baztacula
07-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Voted for Mlle. Marianne simply because I really want to find out what that is on her head!

The thing on Mademoiselle's head appears to have a fish quality from that angle but her collar reminds me of Kermit. This other angle gives off more of an avian vibe:

Jobu
07-05-2015, 10:22 PM
That is so awesome that it can't be real. (I may or may not sleep with the light on tonight.)

I'd like to start a 'Scariest Old Judge' poll but so far I only have one example. If someone has seen a more frightening image, please post.

Jobu
07-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Pete, it seems to me that, at the least, Elsie is currently in the correct section.

baztacula
07-05-2015, 10:33 PM
That is so awesome that it can't be real. (I may or may not sleep with the light on tonight.)

Oh, it's real. It is apparently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It belonged to Jefferson Burdick and, after reading about his untimely death, I feel it may have cast some sort of evil curse upon him. Even the condition of the card looks scary.

Leon
07-06-2015, 06:25 AM
I voted for Curtis, as well as several others. I think we like her "open" style.

baztacula
07-06-2015, 07:48 AM
I voted for Curtis, as well as several others. I think we like her "open" style.

No love for Mademoiselle Maggi? OK, she looks a little sad but zero votes?

Leon
07-06-2015, 07:51 AM
No love for Mademoiselle Maggi? OK, she looks a little sad but zero votes?

She is less happy and less prone to give it up :). What red blooded guy wants to deal with that?

baztacula
07-06-2015, 08:39 AM
She is less happy and less prone to give it up :). What red blooded guy wants to deal with that?

She's vulnerable, Leon. Don't underestimate the potential associated with well-timed vulnerability.

Beatles Guy
07-06-2015, 09:13 AM
I think Harriet looks like a good time gal.

scooter729
07-06-2015, 09:25 AM

To paraphrase from the Kramer portrait on Seinfeld: ""She is a loathsome, offensive brute, and yet I can't look away"

For some reason I decided to google the name "Johnstone Bennett" to see what came up - lots of info on her. Here is the 1906 obituary. Another article in 1896 discussed her desire to give up the vaudeville act and join a convent.

Johnstone Bennett (http://queermusicheritage.com/drag-SH-bennett.html)

baztacula
07-06-2015, 10:07 AM
To paraphrase from the Kramer portrait on Seinfeld: ""She is a loathsome, offensive brute, and yet I can't look away"

For some reason I decided to google the name "Johnstone Bennett" to see what came up - lots of info on her. Here is the 1906 obituary. Another article in 1896 discussed her desire to give up the vaudeville act and join a convent.

Johnstone Bennett (http://queermusicheritage.com/drag-SH-bennett.html)

Interesting info, Scooter. It makes one wonder if she was shunned and abandoned because of an alternative lifestyle. At least we know Miss Bennett wasn't scary looking in real life.

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2015, 10:40 AM
A fetish for late 19th century women? :D

baztacula
07-06-2015, 01:46 PM
A fetish for late 19th century women? :D

It's a safe fetish because, aside from stealing Burdick's museum collection, I can't think of any other way it could ever lead to jail time. We should encourage more men to take a walk on the 19th century wild side.

Check out this Duke's Cameo Cigarettes card of Net54 favorite, Celia Curtis...

steve B
07-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Ah, pose is so much of it.

I like Miss Rats the best overall.

But it was close between her and mille Marianne until I saw the second pose. The first has a bit of mystery to it the second she just doesn't seem as interesting. The reverse was true for Celia Curtis, Didn't like the original pose, but the second seems much better.

Lulu Barry was a close third, and would have been almost tied with Lily Howard if the latter didn't look so underage.

The others don't really do much for me at all.

Steve B

baztacula
07-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Ah, pose is so much of it.

I like Miss Rats the best overall.

But it was close between her and mille Marianne until I saw the second pose. The first has a bit of mystery to it the second she just doesn't seem as interesting. The reverse was true for Celia Curtis, Didn't like the original pose, but the second seems much better.

Lulu Barry was a close third, and would have been almost tied with Lily Howard if the latter didn't look so underage.

The others don't really do much for me at all.

Steve B

Yes, Lily Howard looks pretty young. That isn't stopping her from accumulating votes, though. She would be in the neighborhood of 140 years old today. Plus, she was of marrying age in the time when that photo was taken. So we shouldn't feel too pervy including her in the poll.

1880nonsports
07-07-2015, 09:14 PM
There is a fantastic gallery featuring a nearly endless supply of such wanton and alluring women on the non-sport side. This side usually reserved for dudes in pants swinging baseball bats but who am I to complain? I may have a fetish.
The Women's Occupations series which was issued under brands that included Old Judge and Dog's Head contains unusually sultry renderings of such loose women :-). Think there's a link on the top of the home page - much to see there when there's a rain delay.

Taking shameless advantage of this thread to show a neat OJ gal hanging on my wall......

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/mosesmr/ojbanner_zps64c2c721.jpg

Leon
07-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Henry - That is a great Old Judge poster. It looks really clear and has a great image. I should remind folks too of the little icon in the upper right corner of this forum, on every page. It is a link to our friends on the non-sports side of things. There are some great collectors and nice folks over there.

Gobucsmagic74
07-08-2015, 06:52 AM

Reminds me a little of my ex-wife.

ullmandds
07-08-2015, 07:36 AM
that poster is fake...I'll give you $20 for it!

There is a fantastic gallery featuring a nearly endless supply of such wanton and alluring women on the non-sport side. This side usually reserved for dudes in pants swinging baseball bats but who am I to complain? I may have a fetish.
The Women's Occupations series which was issued under brands that included Old Judge and Dog's Head contains unusually sultry renderings of such loose women :-). Think there's a link on the top of the home page - much to see there when there's a rain delay.

Taking shameless advantage of this thread to show a neat OJ gal hanging on my wall......

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/mosesmr/ojbanner_zps64c2c721.jpg

1880nonsports
07-08-2015, 08:32 AM
glad there's someone other than my wife around to remind me of my past failings. I wouldn't say an equal exchange - I would suggest there's a core disconnect between the allusion and the event. Anyhoooo - hoping we've moved on - I enjoy your irreverent posts and suggest at least from my perspective - we could be friends. :cool:
BTW - I have picked up a very nice example since........

ullmandds
07-08-2015, 08:43 AM
henry...i hope u know I am kidding with you! I'm glad you got a copy of your own. See you at the nat'l.

pete

1880nonsports
07-08-2015, 08:56 AM
but maybe someone else might enjoy it as well.......

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/mosesmr/IMG_1241_zpsxhdaiosz.jpg

1880nonsports
07-08-2015, 08:57 AM
unfortunately no national this year but likely next. Have a great time with the guys.....

ullmandds
07-08-2015, 08:58 AM
that one is awesome henry!

baztacula
07-08-2015, 09:42 AM
but maybe someone else might enjoy it as well.......

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/mosesmr/IMG_1241_zpsxhdaiosz.jpg

Little baby angels are smoking and dropping cigarettes from Heaven! God is pro-tobacco. I knew it.

uffda51
07-08-2015, 10:30 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/uffda51/featureditems/websize/Vernona%20Jarbeau.jpg

Vernona actually has a connection to baseball through Cap Anson and Clarence Duval.

pokerplyr80
07-09-2015, 07:40 PM

She got my vote.

baztacula
12-09-2016, 12:27 PM
I still haven't found the scary Johnstone Bennett card but I scooped up some other stuff... including a few tobacco cards, her autograph and a wicked demon whose eyes follow me around the room (he has the same look on his face that JB has on the old judge card.) I am declaring her the godmother of horror all because of that one evil looking image.

baztacula
12-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Despite the change in angle, notice how the demon's eyes are still looking at the camera...

clydepepper
12-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Reminds me a little of my ex-wife.

Hey, Dan - we may have sloshed thru the same mud

?

Leon
12-12-2016, 12:16 PM
My daughter would be petrified of the demon.

baztacula
12-12-2016, 06:34 PM
My daughter would be petrified of the demon.

Most children who see it get freaked out. They walk around the room, nervously staring at the demon as it "watches" them. One child thought it was still watching her after she left the house.

Leon
12-15-2016, 06:50 PM
...One child thought it was still watching her after she left the house.

That would be my daughter. She doesn't like clowns or clown masks either. They freak her out. I guess no Red Skelton for her....(he was great)

That demon is kind of freaky....