PDA

View Full Version : Rob D.

CobbvLajoie1910
07-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Leon,

What gives?

Sean
07-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Yeah, without Rob, who will make jokes about the Cobb red/ Lenox?

Bicem
07-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Rob got banned??

Leon
07-02-2015, 03:06 PM
He acts like a vile Pr*** on the board. I can't stand the way he berates good members and adds little value. But really, I just can't stand him anymore. When he crossed the line was screwing up the new pick ups thread.

Bicem
07-02-2015, 03:18 PM
I must have missed something, thought he was just making a joke in that thread.

tiger8mush
07-02-2015, 03:21 PM
He acts like a vile Pr*** on the board. I can't stand the way he berates good members and adds little value. But really, I just can't stand him anymore. When he crossed the line was screwing up the new pick ups thread.

he clowns around a little, but his pickup-thread reply to "hope it hasn't been re-backed" with "nope, we're good" + picture reply was seriously the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Hope he's back soon from the "break" soon, he's helped my collection. I got these from him not long ago ...

Mikehealer
07-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Wow! Rob is one of my favorite people on the board. Honest, smart and funny...I must have missed all the berating of "good members", but I don't read every thread.

JeremyW
07-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Wow! Rob is one of my favorite people on the board. Honest, smart and funny...I must have missed all the berating of "good members", but I don't read every thread.

My thoughts, exactly.

Luke
07-02-2015, 05:20 PM
One of my favorite members as well. With how many scumbags are out there in this hobby, it seems to me that we should want to keep the honest, good guys here on the board. There are also tons of people who provide less value to this site and others who take advantage of it for their own personal gain that are allowed to keep on keeping on.

Runscott
07-02-2015, 05:27 PM
I can't stand the way he berates good members and adds little value.

I agree with banning anyone who fits those characteristics, but there are still plenty remaining. I'd love to see a house-cleaning.

Edited to add: I don't know Rob D (I don't think I know him), and I respect the opinions of some who responded to this thread, but you're the moderator and have always been a good judge of character as long as I've known you.

CobbvLajoie1910
07-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Yep.... Leon, we've met (and you've been pleasant to me) and its your Board, but this was a BS move (and largely unsubstantiated).

Bill Mastro deserves all the snark aimed at him 100x over -- and to Jeff's point in an earlier thread, you are a Leader in our hobby; your sights were set on the wrong guy.

A senior Board member deserved a little better than that (whether you cared for him or not)...

Vile? Really?? Vile? I think your misplaced word-choice says a lot.

While its your Board.....equally important, its our Board, too.

My 2-cents.

Mikehealer
07-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Yep.... Leon, we've met (and you've been pleasant to me) and its your Board, but this was a BS move (and largely unsubstantiated).

Bill Mastro deserves all the snark aimed at him 100x over -- and to Jeff's point in an earlier thread, you are a Leader in our hobby; your sights were set on the wrong guy.

A senior Board member deserved a little better than that (whether you cared for him or not)...

Vile? Really?? Vile? I think your misplaced word-choice says a lot.

While its your Board.....equally important, its our Board, too.

My 2-cents.

Well said Aaron. I could not agree more. Seems way over the top.

docpatlv
07-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Well said Aaron. I could not agree more. Seems way over the top.

I'm in agreement with the both of you. I think Rob's a good guy and enjoy his sense of humor. I hope that doesn't make me vile as well.

Mike Puged@

chaddurbin
07-02-2015, 08:22 PM
who's next, calvindog?

edit: rob is easily one of the 10 best people in this hobby...

Jay Wolt
07-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Always liked Rob, a good guy in the hobby & generous too!
Hope the differences can be worked out & he can post again.

jcmtiger
07-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Probably something more behind this??? Don't know Rob, but Leon is a stand up guy.

Joe

jb217676
07-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Rob doesn't sell to Canadians, that's my only interaction (or lack there of) with that fellow.

sbfinley
07-02-2015, 10:29 PM
I don't know Rob personally other than an odd deal done here and there, nor do I know the reason for his swan song other than the general reason given, but I do know this: the operators of this board allow an exponentially larger amount of freedom and leeway in discussion, topic, and tone than any its closest counterparts. In an environment where such an extended amount of slack has been provided on the rope, it's been my experience that someone hanging high wrapped it around their own neck.

There is a wealth of knowledge of this board and in that wealth (and this not directed towards Rob, but rather a characterization I have noticed in a decade + here) lies some sharp tongues, quick wits, and quicker tempers that are magnified by the less than personal social setting that is a message board. A member's collection, knowledge, or hobby experience isn't justification for treating this as a Reddit sub-forum on occasion and yet has often been used a bond for a poster's callous or annoying behavior - a justification that I have never understood.

Once again non of the above was aimed at Rob. It's strictly a generalization of my opinion since opinions seem to flowing freely in this thread. Hopefully Rob and Leon can reach an understanding that eventually leads to his return and we can continue to collect pictures of dead baseball players.

Mikehealer
07-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Rob doesn't sell to Canadians, that's my only interaction (or lack there of) with that fellow.

Maybe he just doesn't ship to Canada. There is a difference.

jb217676
07-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Maybe he just doesn't ship to Canada. There is a difference.

Last time I checked Canadians are most commonly found in Canada.

Mikehealer
07-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Last time I checked Canadians are most commonly found in Canada.

That research must have been exhausting for you.

irishdenny
07-03-2015, 12:25 AM

Badoomp pisshhrrr...

Some of that "Quick Wit" that Steven had pointed out earlier.
At the end of a hard day... imho, Well needed within a hobby full of dead guys on cardboard & a planet full of... Well, lets just say... A Lot of other tings.
This is a Grand reason a lot of us come here at the end of the day, some of us even during the day :rolleyes:
MixiN it up a bit, iN a Good Humor sort of way, is a healthy aspect & character of Leon & Company's board.

Although I'm certain that what went on about wit Leon & Rob D was of a different sort...

PS I'll ship ta Canada... Although ya don't have ta be a Canadian to receive the package ;)

RCMcKenzie
07-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Never traded w/ Rob D., but he seemed like an okay guy to me. For context, I traded with Bruce and Calvindog and I liked them just fine too. I can't imagine trying to run a message board. Thanks for running this one. I learn something about cards every time I visit...

edhans
07-03-2015, 06:30 AM
I've also had pleasant dealings with Rob. I hope his timeout is temporary. I could think of several dozen board members I'd rather do without than Rob.

gnaz01
07-03-2015, 08:45 AM
I've also had pleasant dealings with Rob. I hope his timeout is temporary. I could think of several dozen board members I'd rather do without than Rob.

Everything Ed wrote is what I agree with.

Brian Weisner
07-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Wow, I just noticed this thread... I'm not sure what happened, as I didn't see anything "Vile" in Rob's post, but I hope his ban is temporary as well. Rob has a fantastic collection, a wealth of knowledge and has always been an excellent seller and trader.

Be well Brian

CobbvLajoie1910
07-03-2015, 02:26 PM
I find all of these reactions quite interesting..

ls7plus
07-03-2015, 03:07 PM

Love it--needed a good chuckle just before the 4th!

Highest regards and thanks for the humor,

Larry

sox1903wschamp
07-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Always liked Rob, a good guy in the hobby & generous too!
Hope the differences can be worked out & he can post again.

Agree with Jay. Very funny sarcastic humor.

ullmandds
07-03-2015, 04:23 PM
he is my favorite beastie boy!

timn1
07-03-2015, 04:47 PM
I thought the Bobby/Buddy thread was pretty funny too. Never noticed a problem with Rob's posts, but I also don't think of Leon as a guy with a short fuse. I suspect things will work out-

z28jd
07-03-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm surprised so many people back him. Everyone knows Rob is a thief, how else do you explain 51 STOLEN bases in 1986? http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=dewolf001rob

Mikehealer
07-03-2015, 06:01 PM
I find all of these reactions quite interesting..

It is interesting that all the good members he berated aren't applauding his
banishment...a "leader" on this board has stated several times, and I'm paraphrasing, we all make mistakes, it's how one fixes his mistakes that defines him...

Runscott
07-03-2015, 07:45 PM
banishment...a "leader" on this board has stated several times, and I'm paraphrasing, we all make mistakes, it's how one fixes his mistakes that defines him...
Unfortunately, Mike, many times we are instead defined by how loud the trolls and nits are who latch onto our asses when we make a mistake.

We're all human, but on the internet much less so.

clydepepper
07-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Well said, Scott

Less is more - unless , of course, he was Les Rohr. :rolleyes:

Mikehealer
07-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately, Mike, many times we are instead defined by how loud the trolls and nits are who latch onto our asses when we make a mistake.

We're all human, but on the internet much less so.

I don't think I've ever been called an ass latching troll or nit, but if what I've stated in this thread makes me one or both then so be it.

A friend was called a vile pr*** after being banned, with no way to respond on the board. That may be Leon's opinion of him, but it's not mine, in fact just the opposite. There are people that don't know Rob on here and may take his opinion as gospel, so I was just stating my opinion of Rob and his character from my experiences. I don't seem to be alone in my opinion.

I don't think I have latched on to anyone's ass, but you are certainly free to see it differently.

Mikehealer

calvindog
07-03-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm surprised so many people back him. Everyone knows Rob is a thief, how else do you explain 51 STOLEN bases in 1986? http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=dewolf001rob

I always told Rob that if he wanted to be considered less of a "vile pri*k" he needed to steal more.

chaddurbin
07-03-2015, 09:11 PM
now i understand why the good members from the actual old net54 board hardly post here anymore...it's because of rob! i know you're reading this thread rob, like mike said we all make mistakes it's how we fix them that defines us. hopefully the forum owner will give you a second chance to be less of a vile p****. no more comments about how you won't even let your nephew read the board.

Jewish-collector
07-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Is Rob allowed at the Net54 dinner ?

ValKehl
07-03-2015, 11:29 PM

+1

Val

barrysloate
07-04-2015, 04:19 AM
According to Baseball Reference, it's his birthday tomorrow.

bobbyw8469
07-04-2015, 04:35 AM

A "good" member trolled me on the PSA boards. I mean, this guy was a total piece of crap. Calling me at my job. Posting personal information about me on a public site. I spoke out vocally about it on the PSA boards, and then I too got banned. Maybe the people he berated are worried about the same fate?

Edit to add: I don't know Rob D personally. I know of him from this board and the PSA board. He seemed alright to me.

Runscott
07-04-2015, 05:59 AM
I don't think I've ever been called an ass latching troll or nit, but if what I've stated in this thread makes me one or both then so be it.

A friend was called a vile pr*** after being banned, with no way to respond on the board. That may be Leon's opinion of him, but it's not mine, in fact just the opposite. There are people that don't know Rob on here and may take his opinion as gospel, so I was just stating my opinion of Rob and his character from my experiences. I don't seem to be alone in my opinion.

I don't think I have latched on to anyone's ass, but you are certainly free to see it differently.

Mikehealer

And you still haven't been called a troll or a nit. I responded to your comment - I did not make a comment about you personally. Re-reading my response and then your recent one, I still have no idea how you made that leap.=

Mikehealer
07-04-2015, 06:45 AM
My mistake Scott, I just interpreted it wrong. I apologize.
Happy 4th of July.

CobbvLajoie1910
07-04-2015, 07:20 AM
I think my major take away from this thread is that I may need to re-consult my Encyclopedia Brittanica re: how a caste system functions.

Who knew peasants had such arbitrary power in the face of the wants of the majority.

Have a happy/safe July 4th, n54ers!

Runscott
07-04-2015, 12:39 PM
My mistake Scott, I just interpreted it wrong. I apologize.
Happy 4th of July.

Happy 4th to you as well. I am going to celebrate by not reading any internet discussion forum posts for the rest of the weekend.

mrvster
07-04-2015, 01:04 PM
thread saddens me.....:mad:

I hate discontent!

Leon must have a great reason for the banning....Rob did poke fun at me about my enthusiasm a lot, but I just chalked it up to him being a "pxxx"...:rolleyes:.....because he was to me, a real "pxxx" but I let by- gones be by- gones..I just gave it back to him full force when he did....he never really could get a good come back on me, so I held my own when it came to Rob..:D...I'm sure he had his highs and lows......but I have to back Leon on this......I'm sure Rob must've stepped outta line too far this time for some reason and Leon had enough....

I know Leon must have a good reason for this ban and I have to truly stand behind Leon on this....

but I'm a sucker and a Libra...:)...so I hope Rob and Leon work out any issues they have.....and, if Rob did step too far out of line, he should man up and apologize and move on.......I know Leon is a stand up guy and doesn't arbitrarily ban members without good cause.....:)

mrvster
07-04-2015, 01:21 PM
If your reading this.....I know you have a great rep with some collectors here.....I always respected you for your contributions to the RESOURCE also....you are good friends with some of my good friend collectors....I know me and you had our differences, but I forgive you.....if you got outta line in some way, please make good with Leon and the board....Leon is very cool and rational....we need great contributors such as yourself....and knowledge......I come bearing an olive branch to you and forgive you for your "digs"...

learn and grow from this......hopefully it will get ironed out and you will be allowed to return...

I WOULD BE TORTURED WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO READ CONTRIBUTE HERE!:eek::)

Leon
07-04-2015, 02:02 PM
If your reading this.....I know you have a great rep with some collectors here.....I always respected you for your contributions to the RESOURCE also....you are good friends with some of my good friend collectors....I know me and you had our differences, but I forgive you.....if you got outta line in some way, please make good with Leon and the board....Leon is very cool and rational....we need great contributors such as yourself....and knowledge......I come bearing an olive branch to you and forgive you for your "digs"...

learn and grow from this......hopefully it will get ironed out and you will be allowed to return...

I WOULD BE TORTURED WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO READ CONTRIBUTE HERE!:eek::)

I had a major problem with the way he treated you a few times. His thinly veiled and continuing insults, towards many members, are the reason for my distaste for him. His humor, at the expense of others, often times isn't very funny. I can take the veiled insults thrown my way, let most go when thrown at others....but when he screwed up the New Pick Ups thread with his joke...well, I had enough. But if you are good Johnny, so be it, if he wants to come back he can.

mrvster
07-04-2015, 02:16 PM
I really appreciate you getting my back! :) I am one of the few members who don't really deal with Rob, I have never been "aggressive" in anyway to him, but he always threw a dig on me for some reason, I just kinda chalked it up to a kinda of jealousy??? but some of my friends really like him - Brian W is one of them.....all of them really like Rob.....

I really don't know what I did to him, but I always come in peace....I didn't read the post in the pick up thread, but I'm sure it wasn't nice:)

I just have to say , Leon, you have such a GREAT site....it really keeps my going sometimes!

and I'm sure a lot of us here feel the same way.....I ADMIRE truly for what you have built/done for us and our hobby and community....:)

I think your collection was one of the finest EVER assembled!:eek:

and your MATTY PROOF and MULTI STRIKE SCRAP 206 are some of my favorite cards ever....

JUST AMAZING!

Leon, thanks for keeping this place cool and in check....you don't deserve the flack you get sometimes....I can't imagine what you put up with...I'd go nuts:)
definitely admire you sir:D

I think that's a very noble gesture to reinstate Rob.....your one of the most stand up guys I know......I hope he respects you and the rest of the community, the way you do...

GOD BLESS YOU AND AMERICA

oh, and t206:)

CobbvLajoie1910
07-04-2015, 02:39 PM
GOD BLESS YOU AND AMERICA

oh, and t206:)

This. Every. Single. Time.

This pretty much sums up the goings-on in this thread, and in all threads before (or will ever come after) it.

Johnny, well done.

Rob, welcome back, sir.

LL, a tip of the cap to you.

Its IPA time; cheers!

:)

mrvster
07-04-2015, 02:54 PM
:)

I tip my cap to you sir and all here.....especially Leon.....:)

I enjoy this board so much.......and it's members..........

and would like to say miss some of our lost soldiers here like Jim B and many other ICONS over the years........

Your words and collections and Passion are not forgotten.........

I love the cardboard, but the collectors are really what truly matter.....I get "lost" sometimes in it....

Life is short .......people are what matter ....don't get my wrong, I am obsessed with my cards, ......but seeing what is created here is better:)

Leon.....I have to say, still one of the most stand up guys I know...KUDOS TO YOU my friend.....

Aaron....Id have that beer with you if you were close:)

Eric72
07-04-2015, 03:38 PM
I raise a glass to peaceful resolutions, old cardboard, Independence Day, and Net 54.

Have a wonderful evenng, everyone.

Best regards,

Eric

Tao_Moko
07-04-2015, 10:00 PM
I've been a member for about ten years and a break from time to time is healthy. I like to see the same old names when I come back from a hiatus so I hope Rob will come back after this ordeal. I will say that I'd rather read through a few sarcastic comments then countless eBay links and tpg failure threads. Leon is as good of a moderator as they come - But, maybe we could take a vote next time and let the majority decide who gets banned. Happy 4th to everyone.

bobbyw8469
07-05-2015, 05:02 AM
I've been a member for about ten years and a break from time to time is healthy. I like to see the same old names when I come back from a hiatus so I hope Rob will come back after this ordeal. I will say that I'd rather read through a few sarcastic comments then countless eBay links and tpg failure threads. Leon is as good of a moderator as they come - But, maybe we could take a vote next time and let the majority decide who gets banned. Happy 4th to everyone.

Totally against this. Makes it seem too high schoolish. Only the "cool cliques" will win. And the cool cliques think it is cool to attack members. Too much of that over on PSA. That is why they have so many alts and that board is run into the ground.

mrvster
07-05-2015, 05:19 AM
+1.....this is Leon's board.......we can all have a "say" I'm sure, but he has the ultimate decisions.....I totally respect that....

it is a great place:)

Tao_Moko
07-05-2015, 05:59 AM
Totally against this. Makes it seem too high schoolish. Only the "cool cliques" will win. And the cool cliques think it is cool to attack members. Too much of that over on PSA. That is why they have so many alts and that board is run into the ground.

Other than taking a few minutes to jot down a thought it really is no big deal either way. This is a baseball card forum. I won't lose any sleep over any decision made or not made.

Rich Klein
07-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Bobby as to your point; that's another reason why Leon's pont to have people put their real names in any controversial thread is very wise. That way, you know who is saying what about you.

Rich

Jlighter
07-05-2015, 08:17 AM
But, maybe we could take a vote next time and let the majority decide who gets banned. Happy 4th to everyone.

I actually think that would be lesser then the option we have right now. I feel much more comfortable to have a reasonable and rational person, like Mr. Luckey, to have vested control on decisions then the majority. This of course protects from Tocqueville's Tyranny of the Majority.

I do, of course, agree with your July 4th sentiment. :)