PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live near Colorado Springs

Leon
07-02-2015, 12:16 PM
I think I am headed to Colorado Springs for a week, in about a week. Anyone from around there and know of a few family (wife and 18 yr old daughter) vacation type things to do? I will use Google too but nothing beats being there. Thanks in advance!!

Mountaineer1999
07-02-2015, 08:31 PM
I think I am headed to Colorado Springs for a week, in about a week. Anyone from around there and know of a few family (wife and 18 yr old daughter) vacation type things to do? I will use Google too but nothing beats being there. Thanks in advance!!

Hi Leon. I lived there for about seven years but that was twenty years ago, so I'm sure a few things have changed.
The family loved The Garden of the Gods, a beautiful natural resource with some great photo ops. We also enjoyed driving to the top of Pikes Peak, where else can you have a little snow in July :-) ?
Out of town for 1 to 2 hour excursions... You could drive over to Royal Gorge. There you can relive the old Giants postcard scene that has floated around on here for a bit.
Those are some of the family activities I recommend.

Leon
07-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Hi Leon. I lived there for about seven years but that was twenty.years ago so I'm sure a few things have changed but these things should still be relatively the same.
The family loved The Garden of the Gods, a beautiful natural resource with some great photo ops. We also enjoyed driving to the top of Pikes Peak, where else can you have a little snow in July :-) ?
Out of town for 1 to 2 hour excursions... You could drive over to Royal Gorge. There you can relive the old Giants postcard scene that has floated around on here for a bit.
Those are some of the family activities I recommend.

Thanks Donnie, We know we want to see the Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak......thanks for the other recommendations too...LL

gregr2
07-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Hey Leon, I don't live there but I go there for business quite often. Great recommendations above, I would also say go to Manitou Springs. It's a quirky old hippy-ish type town with lots of little shops and it is in a great location (Close to Garden of the Gods). I think your wife and daughter might enjoy it there.

http://manitousprings.org/

w7imel
07-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Leon, Pikes peak is a very cool to drive to the top. I agree Manitu springs very nice and on the way to Pikes peak. They also have a AAA baseball team called Sky Sox there. I lived there for 7 years. Great town, wish I was still there.

Laxcat
07-03-2015, 11:22 AM
I agree with Pike's Peak. Awesome. Take the train to the summit.

Leon
07-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Leon, Pikes peak is a very cool to drive to the top. I agree Manitu springs very nice and on the way to Pikes peak. They also have a AAA baseball team called Sky Sox there. I lived there for 7 years. Great town, wish I was still there.

Thanks again for all of the recommendations. Manitu Srpings sounds very cool. (pun intended.)

It's sort of funny. I googled how far it is from Pikes Peak to where we are staying. It's around 20-30 miles, which is fine, and it says it takes 3.5 hours to get there :).

gregr2
07-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks again for all of the recommendations. Manitu Srpings sounds very cool. (pun intended.)

It's sort of funny. I googled how far it is from Pikes Peak to where we are staying. It's around 20-30 miles, which is fine, and it says it takes 3.5 hours to get there :).

It is a long, and sometimes scary drive up that mountain! No side rails on a long and winding road when you are driving right at the edge. Coming down they have signs telling you not to ride your brakes. Then when you get to the bottom a park ranger comes out and uses IR thermometer and checks your brake rotors for excessive heat. If they are over a certain temperature, he parks you until they cool down.

Section103
07-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Cheyenne Mountain zoo is pretty top notch as well, if thats your thing. Swing through the Mining Exchange lobby and if you see a mid 40s guy drinking one too many martinis stop and say hi. :)

Leon
07-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Cheyenne Mountain zoo is pretty top notch as well, if thats your thing. Swing through the Mining Exchange lobby and if you see a mid 40s guy drinking one too many martinis stop and say hi. :)

LOL....I like Zoos but we probably will do more regular site seeing as my daughter and I have never been to CO..(my wife has)......Martinis? Sorry but I think that is an acquired taste. You must be a Pro? :)

w7imel
07-04-2015, 09:50 AM

always loved the cheyenne mtn zoo! Had season passes for a few years. My then toddler son hated the monkeys...lol

7nohitter
07-04-2015, 12:26 PM
I lived in Denver from '00-'02...ALL of these recommendations are great...I visited each of those places repeatedly....Colorado is a beautiful state.

Estes Park is another one you might want to check out.

brewing
07-04-2015, 12:59 PM
I love it there. No one mentioned Seven Falls, that's on my list along with G of the G and Pikes peak.