PDA

View Full Version : GAI 52 Mantle

pokerplyr80
07-02-2015, 12:01 PM
This one is out of my league regardless, but what do you think are the odds this would cross to a PSA 7, or even a PSA 6? What about the odds the card is altered? 74k is a big gamble.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-311-MICKEY-MANTLE-ROOKIE-CARD-GRADED-GAI-7-NEW-YORK-YANKEES-/281738323807?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

pawpawdiv9
07-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Q: Could you get this card into a psa 7 holder? I would be interested.
A: Not interested. They will charge you $500.00 and then tell you the card has a flaw or down grade it. I have sent in many cards to PSA and I am not happy with their grading service.

Something here tells me, that maybe PSA claimed it to be 'AUTH", altered or trimmed and therefore could not receive a numerical grade???
This is where holding in person is needed, maybe a blacklight too to see if any doctoring was done.

pokerplyr80
07-02-2015, 12:44 PM
I didn't scroll down to see that question. Unless you just asked it. But that sounds about right. I wonder if that means he already spent $500 trying to cross it. Maybe he put in a minimum grade of 7 on the sheet. I know they usually don't tell you why it didn't meet the grade you requested or what it would have received.

Considering a GAI 8 sold for 30k less than a year ago I think 75k is a little high for a 7, even considering the increase in value since then.

pawpawdiv9
07-02-2015, 12:49 PM
I didn't scroll down to see that question. Unless you just asked it. But that sounds about right. I wonder if that means he already spent $500 trying to cross it. Maybe he put in a minimum grade of 7 on the sheet. I know they usually don't tell you why it didn't meet the grade you requested or what it would have received.
No bro, i didnt ask that, but when i saw the Q/A, it was the right question whomever did, if i was buying it, i would want it crossed.

pokerplyr80
07-02-2015, 01:09 PM
No bro, i didnt ask that, but when i saw the Q/A, it was the right question whomever did, if i was buying it, i would want it crossed.

Agreed. I would want it sent directly to PSA with payment pending their verification.

KCRfan1
07-02-2015, 02:04 PM
If I am the seller, regardless of whether I like PSA grading, the money spent getting the card graded with PSA will more than make up the grading expense of $500. I would expect a PSA 6 to out sell a GAI 7 any day, especially a 52 Mantle. Since the seller seems to be caught up in the grade, they should cross over to BCCG or PRO and they will probably get a 10.

Zach Wheat
07-02-2015, 08:19 PM
My big issue with a GAI grade would be to have it come back as trimmed. That would hurt.

z

7nohitter
07-03-2015, 08:19 PM
The top border looks off to me

1952boyntoncollector
07-04-2015, 08:15 AM
If I am the seller, regardless of whether I like PSA grading, the money spent getting the card graded with PSA will more than make up the grading expense of $500. I would expect a PSA 6 to out sell a GAI 7 any day, especially a 52 Mantle. Since the seller seems to be caught up in the grade, they should cross over to BCCG or PRO and they will probably get a 10.

I think buying today you would expect at least 3 grades lower for psa versus gai....and worry about not getting it graded...anyone trying to sell a card for 1000s obviously looked at the PSA route and there was a problem...

pokerplyr80
07-04-2015, 09:55 AM
I think buying today you would expect at least 3 grades lower for psa versus gai....and worry about not getting it graded...anyone trying to sell a card for 1000s obviously looked at the PSA route and there was a problem...

I was assuming 1-2 grades lower, but I 100% agree that if I, or anyone else was selling a card of this value, everything possible would be done to cross into a PSA or even SGC holder before selling it in a GAI.

bobbyw8469
07-06-2015, 08:33 PM
The fact that this card is in the worst possible 3rd party grading companies holder possible should speak volumes. (I'm being facetious - but GAI is pretty piss poor).

begsu1013
07-06-2015, 09:26 PM
The fact that this card is in the worst possible 3rd party grading companies holder possible should speak volumes. (I'm being facetious - but GAI is pretty piss poor).

100%. there's a reason just about any high end card is still in a gai holder...and that it's altered.

that's a beautiful card, no doubt, but unfortunately it's simply a high dollar psa/sgc "A"